z26 ground effects on indy help

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
Sedwards5390

z26 ground effects on indy help

Post by Sedwards5390 »

I have a Beretta Indy that someone put z26 ground effects on it so it has fog lamps since the Indy didn't come with them. My question is awhile ago out of nowhere both fog lamps quit working. I suspect its the relay being that its doubtful in my opinion that both bulbs would go at the same time. Buy since fogs weren't stock with the Indy I don't know how they are hooked up if a relay was added somehow or howto find out. I really miss my fog lights it was one of my favorite parts of the car I'm just not highly electrically inclined please help!
Attachments
0825202323.jpg

Travelor
Global Moderator

Re: z26 ground effects on indy help

Post by Travelor »

Pull the housings out of the bumper, and check the condition of the ground connection (the bulb actually touches the housing, and this can corrode) and check the bulbs themselves as they are pretty fragile.

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
daguse5853z

Post by daguse5853z »

My driver side fog light goes out all the time. PITA. Gm could have designed them to be easier to change the bulb in. If both your bulbs went out at the same time then it might be the relay or any single wire that makes up the fog light circuit. I'd just start at the plug for the bulb and trace it to see where it goes. This guy probably just made his own harness and the wires could just be hanging around unprotected and probably rubbed through somewhere.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

daguse5853z wrote:My driver side fog light goes out all the time. PITA. Gm could have designed them to be easier to change the bulb in. If both your bulbs went out at the same time then it might be the relay or any single wire that makes up the fog light circuit. I'd just start at the plug for the bulb and trace it to see where it goes. This guy probably just made his own harness and the wires could just be hanging around unprotected and probably rubbed through somewhere.
I'm not sure that GM could have designed them harder to change the bulb in, without spending more money on superfluous material just to get in the way...

It might be best for you to check for battery voltage close to the lighting, without actually going through the trouble of pulling the lights out. Trace the supply wires back to a place where you can reach them easily, and turn them on and check for voltage. That might help pin-down if you are facing a fuse/relay/switch problem, or a grounding issue.

Being an Indy, your car is a '90, and should have the older style dash... Is your fog-light switch OE GM in the overhead map-light console, or is it rigged somewhere else? This is part curiosity, part to see how diligent the previous owner was in the mods...

This is really more of a 'technical help' post than an 'appearance mods' thread, is it worth moving?

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26