spoiler brake light

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
mgriff

spoiler brake light

Post by mgriff »

Hello,
Where can I get the bulbs for the 3rd. brake light in the spoiler? Is there a number for them?
1990 GT
Thanks,
Mark

robdogg13

spoiler brake light

Post by robdogg13 »

Any auto store has them 891. but they do cost about 6-7 dollars A PIECE. 194's will work too if you bend the metal pieces on the end of the bulb right. Or you can even mod a led strip from a spoiler from another car and never have to worry about replacing them again.

Robert

spoiler brake light

Post by Guest »

I don't recommend the 194 trick it'll work but you risk a short out.  The 194 wires are alot weaker then the actual bulb that goes in it.

90GTZHO

spoiler brake light

Post by 90GTZHO »

if you want a cheap bulb that works gaurenteed, go to radio shack and get the 20 watt halogen desk lamps.  They are only $1.99 each and they work great.  i put those in my stock spoiler light and are brighter than hell, and they dont seem to melt the plastic.  For $8 you have four new lights ;)  i dont know the part number, but go to their light bulb display and look for the 20w 12v halogen desk lamp.  Stock are halogenm bulbs too.  So no worries.  

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
SushiLover

spoiler brake light

Post by SushiLover »

I know this hasn't been touched in a while, but my fix for the 3rd brake light was to disassemble the light, remove and cut the plastic insulators in half (the light brown plastic things on the base), then solder the leads of the bulbs I used to each terminal of the electrical strip. I cut the insulators in half because that allowed me to not only expose half of the upright contact for soldering, but to also allow for even spacing (height wise) of the bulbs. I used 2825 bulbs for their output of 5 watts. The OE 891 is rated for 8 watts (I'd rather be a little under than too far over and melt everything). I spent $6.00 for all 4 bulbs at AutoZone, and just over an hour total on this, from cleaning the contacts to soldering the bulbs in. And it works mint.

ASE certified technician in Engine Repair, Engine Performance, Suspension and Steering, Brakes and Automobile Service Consultant.