Hud <-heads up display

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
ErichZ26

Hud <-heads up display

Post by ErichZ26 »

Quote (kanchou @ July 24 2004,11:49)man. if i was going to the trouble of a hud, I'd want it to have graphics or something. . .
Have you ever seen a C5 Corvette HUD?

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Guest »

i thought it was jumped into the wss on the abs equipped cars. now i realize that it would work off the magnetic speed sensor that is in the pre-abs cars like mine.

Chazzman

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Chazzman »

Quote (ErichZ26 @ July 23 2004,18:48)Have you ever seen a C5 Corvette HUD?
Whats special about them?

'92 GT-Z 3.1L 5spd lot's of GO FAST stuff  
ettore

Hud <-heads up display

Post by ettore »

Sounds cool, $70-$75 is a pretty good price ... especially considering it's probably got a microcontroller in there and someone else is putting it together.

Orange Mica Z26 205,000k Click to See
Chris88CL

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Chris88CL »

I should have an update for you guys before too much longer.  The unit was shipped on my birthday (16th) so it should arrive tomorrow.  I cant wait ;)  Pics may be difficult though

woody90gtz

Hud <-heads up display

Post by woody90gtz »

Happy bday Chris.

I've seen a C5 HUD, it was pretty sweet. It was over a year ago so I don't remember too much about it. I do remember it had more than just the speed though.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Chris88CL

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Chris88CL »

Lol, it was like 11 days ago ;)  But thanks.
I received the HUD, and got most of it wired up.  Unfortunately I fried the chip in it already trying to find the VSS signal (oops).  A new one should be in the mail and I should receive it next week sometime.  The HUD is fairly bright but I dont think it will be much good during the daytime.  With anything less than direct sunlight mine is pretty bright though.
Right now it just displays 666 on the windshield
I'll work on getting some pics up of my modified gauge surround with the clear plexi window flush mounted.  My workmanship wasnt perfect so theres tiny gaps, but its close.  I'll figure out a way to fill it in so it looks factory eventually.  Right now it isnt even secured in there, the plexi is just squeezed in there.  Still looks pretty good in my opinion.  I can already see that people are going to be asking me what it is though  I love it so far.

Unfortunately I wasnt able to get a VSS signal at the cluster itself.  I was sorta surprised.  My speedometer works great, but I either couldnt find the right wire (doubtful, I tried them all) or the ECM hacks the 4000 pulse signal and sends out a modified signal to the cluster.  I'll go through my service manuals in the next few days and find out where the best place to grab the signal is.  Anyone have any input on this part of it?

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Guest »

I'm not sure but I think you'll have to tap in before the ECM. At the same time, keep the wiring in a twisted pair. What kinda signal is triggering the HUD unit?

Norm 88GT

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Norm 88GT »

I had a HUD in my '99 C5.  I saw 172 MPH once.    The V6 Beretta with Eibach/Tokicos and 26mm rear sway and some good rubber was more enjoyable to drive than the truck-riding Vette.  Even with the almost 200hp power deficit.  Can't say that now.  :^)

If you grew up on manual tranmission you tend to look at the tachometer while rowing through the gears.  Unlike a automatic tranny where you never have too look at the tach.  I had it turned off for some reason and it was days before I knew it was off.  Steering wheel radio controls, something the C5 never had along with auto-dimming mirrors, are a better idea if your want to keep the eyes on the road.  

Good luck!

Norm -
'88 GT => V8 - http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonbo ... ;f=9;t=261
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

Chris88CL

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Chris88CL »

Quote (quad4gtz @ July 29 2004,21:22)I'm not sure but I think you'll have to tap in before the ECM. At the same time, keep the wiring in a twisted pair. What kinda signal is triggering the HUD unit?
Looking at my wiring diagram in the factory service manual it looks like the ECM emits a 4000 pulse signal from the ECM to the gauge cluster aswell via a grey wire so it SHOULD work.  I've found the wire and already gotten everything wired up.
Im just waiting for my replacement "chip" to get shipped so I can put the HUD unit back together and get this thing goin.

Updated pics can be seen
AT GMFWD.COM IN THIS THREAD

TurboGTU

Hud <-heads up display

Post by TurboGTU »

I'd use a small piece of light mirro tint to get rid of the ghosting. Its good to see something new!

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Guest »

My mom has a grand prix and you can only see the display when sitting in the driver's seat. You can't see it from outside the car.

Jeff P

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Jeff P »

Quote (MagicalMarge1986 @ Oct. 29 2004,10:42)My mom has a grand prix and you can only see the display when sitting in the driver's seat. You can't see it from outside the car.
Unless you're standing behind the car  And then it looks really cool!

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
oldadmin

Hud <-heads up display

Post by oldadmin »

What's up with this Chris?

Chris88CL

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Chris88CL »

Well, I pretty much gave up on doing anything with the 89.  So Im going to wait until I tear into the 91's interior before I really test this thing.  Right now I cant seem to find a solution for the "ghost" image that the HUD displays.  Im going to try a small piece of tint or something to see if it reduces the second image.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out eventually.  Hopefully it'll be done in time for bfest so I can have a heads up display for the trip