Hud <-heads up display

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
Chris88CL

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Chris88CL »

Well, I haven't received mine quite yet but I should have it later in the week.
First, HUD = Heads up Display for those of you who don't know. It basically projects your gauges onto the windshield infront of you. Unfortunately this custom HUD unit will only project your speed for now. I'm the guinea pig and should hopefully have my unit installed and functioning by next week at the latest depending on shipping.

Now, here is the info:

This unit is extremely small and is NOT a factory HUD. It will only project the speed up to 3 digits. Im not 100% sure, but it SHOULD keep displaying numbers higher than your analog speedometer because its using the same electrical signal and has the ability to display up to 999. It has a jumper on the side so you can switch from MPH to KPH (I'm Canadian, I need KM/H). It should also have a very small (and not very easy to use) dimmer switch. As for the wiring, it appears to be very simple. You have switched 12v, ground and the VSS signal. This unit WILL have to be custom mounted, but I think the perfect place for it (and it *should* fit) will be the 91+ gauge surround.

It will involve cutting a hole approx 3/4" x 1.5" in the top of the surround so the LED display can reflect off the windshield. I intend to mount mine down in there as low as I can with a plexi cover over the hole so everything still mounts flush. :yeah:

You also have some color options. Available colors are RED, AMBER, GREEN and BLUE. Blue does cost slightly more because the blue LED's cost the manufacturer more.

None of this is final, Im just trying to get a feel on how much interest there would be *IF* mine works.

Now I have some questions. I'm pretty sure my car's VSS outputs 40,000 pulses per mile which is broken down by the ECM and sent to the cluster as 4,000 pulses per mile. My factory service manual confirms this. Are the auto and manual trannies using the same pulses/mile? What about the 4t60-e? Same pulses per mile Im assuming since the clusters will work in earlier V6's with functioning speedometers. In early tests the HUD unit has a "ghost" number but we are pretty sure thats because of the windshield in the test car and the lack of depth in the mounting. I'll try everything I can think of to get rid of that ghost number (see pics below).

Heres a couple quick pics of the very early prototype units.

Apparently there is a plastic lens that hides the electronics from view now. My unit is coming with the box but I will probably have to remove it to mount it in the surround. Those of you with pre 91 dashes will have to figure something else out. WORST case scenario we can just stick the big ugly box on top of our dash and have a heads up speedometer.

PRICES:
Plan on roughly $70-75 shipped for these units if they will work. Some custom fitting will be necessary depending on how you want it mounted as I mentioned above. Now how many people are interested?

bonecrrusher

Hud <-heads up display

Post by bonecrrusher »

Nice. Ill look into this for a 3400 equipped jbody

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Chris88CL

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Chris88CL »

Should work.  Where you mount it is up to you though.
I'll make sure I get pics once its installed in my car.

89GTZ

Hud <-heads up display

Post by 89GTZ »

I'm definatley interested.  Keep us updated.

89GT(Z)
15.904@85.15 - many years ago
woody90gtz

Hud <-heads up display

Post by woody90gtz »

That would be sweet, I hope this becomes a reality.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Z26 performance

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Z26 performance »

I am interested but if I had to front money tomorrow I would not be able to.

Doug96Z26

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Doug96Z26 »

Are any modifications needed to the windshield like cars with a factory HUD have?  I've seen these aftermarket HUDs on cars with regular windshields - they were very dim and could easily be seen from outside the car.

Doug
1996 CRM Z26
1996 BRM Z26
1993 GT 5spd

Chris88CL

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Chris88CL »

As far as I know no mods are necessary to the windshield.  I havent seen this thing in person yet though so I cant say for sure if you can see if from the outside or not.  
My unit should arrive early this week so I'll let everyone know as soon as I have it installed.

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Guest »

on the Pontiacs i know that you need a special windshield. Knowing that since my friend had his crack on his and needed to replace it and anyway it was over 1,000 dollars for it. So there is something specail in that part that displays it on the windshiled.

Chris88CL

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Chris88CL »

I dont doubt that they HAVE a special windshield, I just dont know if its absolutely needed.

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Guest »

is the HUD only for cars with Abs? im unsure as your car looks pre 92.
QuasarCorsica

Rodville

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Rodville »

Well if there is something needed on the glass can't we use some kind of window tint to create the reflection?

ErichZ26

Hud <-heads up display

Post by ErichZ26 »

Yes there are special windshields for HUD cars, specifically Pontiac and Olds.  No they are not needed to make work

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
ErichZ26

Hud <-heads up display

Post by ErichZ26 »

Quote (QuasarCorsica @ July 23 2004,18:33)is the HUD only for cars with Abs? im unsure as your car looks pre 92.
QuasarCorsica
ABS has nothing to do with HUD's

These work with 12v power and sensor signals, and independent from the cars ECU.    This is a basic hud and would only need VSS and power to function.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Guest »

man. if i was going to the trouble of a hud, I'd want it to have graphics or something. . .