60watt Low Beams Mod

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
IsaacHayes

60watt Low Beams Mod

Post by IsaacHayes »

I took a pair of high beam bulbs I had laying around and got out the dremel.  I first ground off the 2 lines inside where the electrical connector goes. Now it will snap into the stock wiring harness. Be sure to blow out the dust and wipe it with some rubbing alcohol in there and dry it out well.

Next I dremeled some on the top tap where it locks into the headlight housing. Be carefull to just take a little off at a time and test fit. If you take enough off to make it look like the Low beam notch it will be too loose as it doesn't have material on the other side. Best to take off a little and make it kind of hard to put in.

If it is loose after turning all the way in the housing, back off just a little bit until it tightens up a bit.
----

Stock low beam bulbs:        51W painted tip.
Modded low beams bulbs:  60W clear bulb.

I haven't gotten flashed by other drivers yet so the extra wattage and the absence of the glare sheild isn't that awfull I guess. If they do start flashing me I'll get some high temp paint and dip the tips like the stock low beams have.

You can tell a big difference when you have the stock 51W in one side and your 60W in the other against a wall. The 51w looks orange compared to the high beam. I didn't notice a big difference on the road, but maybe that's because it was raining last night! And I could see like it wasn't raining.

I'll see tonight...  

Cost of mod: Free (spares lying around)
Time of mod: 10mins
Stock / mod: 102watts vs 120watts total. (2200 vs 3800 lumens)

Now I just need to wire up my lows to stay on with my highs,  or make use of the stock wiring harness that goes to fog lights and wire that to my highs. I have a foglight switch and it activates the wiring harness connector  tapped to my headlight warning harness.... Hmmm.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
1988GTU

60watt Low Beams Mod

Post by 1988GTU »

Pictures are always wanted.
I dont think I'd want those though.  
I did however relocate my battery.

_________
-------------
IsaacHayes

60watt Low Beams Mod

Post by IsaacHayes »

Pictures? Of what? beam shot compairison? I'll try to get a camera and do that.. it is *very* noticeble when aimed at a wall.

Why would you not want extra light? And what does relocating your battery have to do with headlights?  lol

As far as modding it's not hard to see what I was talking about if you look at the bulb..  inside where the connector goes there is 2 lines on the highs, and 1 on the lows. Well without swapping wireing harnesses, you gotta grind off the lines on the high bulb (they fit into grooves on the wire plug). The top tab if you are looking at the bulb with the bulb aimed at the ground, you'll see 2 large tabs at the bottom, and one at the top. Grind a little off the left side of the top one.

-Isaac

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
1988GTU

60watt Low Beams Mod

Post by 1988GTU »

(IsaacHayes @ Oct. 21 2005,20:51)Q
U
O
T
EPictures? Of what? beam shot compairison? I'll try to get a camera and do that.. it is *very* noticeble when aimed at a wall.

Why would you not want extra light? And what does relocating your battery have to do with headlights?  lol

As far as modding it's not hard to see what I was talking about if you look at the bulb..  inside where the connector goes there is 2 lines on the highs, and 1 on the lows. Well without swapping wireing harnesses, you gotta grind off the lines on the high bulb (they fit into grooves on the wire plug). The top tab if you are looking at the bulb with the bulb aimed at the ground, you'll see 2 large tabs at the bottom, and one at the top. Grind a little off the left side of the top one.

-Isaac
I just felt that I had to share about my latest mod... for a later mod.

If you had pictures, we could be amused and you would have a lot of comments or atleast views in this topic.

_________
-------------
IsaacHayes

60watt Low Beams Mod

Post by IsaacHayes »

True. The roads were dry last night and where my lights shined on the road, it looked white instead of yellow. Defianitly higher color temp and more light. I'll try to get a camera from someone by next weekend...

soon to be OBD1 tuned...