How to upgrade to a 91+ dash

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Quote (Jeff P @ Sep. 26 2004,02:11)You make it sound so tough  It's a direct swap.  Switch the HVAC box/diaphrams over and you're good.  Simple if your A/C is already discharged (evacuated?).

Hi Chris.

-Jeff P.
'88 Beretta GT
'89 Beretta GT
'91 Beretta GT
'01 Bonneville SSEi
Direct swaps can be tough for some people ;)

Hows it goin Jeff?  You should email me sometime.  Long time no talk.

Jeremy Sipple

Post by Jeremy Sipple »

Wow chris !! that is way beyond my capabilties. if i bought the parts do you think any shops would touch such a project?

Jeremy

oldadmin

Post by oldadmin »

Quote (Jeremy Sipple @ Feb. 16 2005,07:00)Wow chris !! that is way beyond my capabilties. if i bought the parts do you think any shops would touch such a project?

Jeremy
For the right amount of money I'm sure you could find someone to do it.

Post by Guest »

I HIGHLY doubt any shop would ever touch it for the simple fact of reliability, and insurance reasons.  Ok maybe some place like West Coast Customs, but other then that I put my money on rejections.

Post by Guest »

You guys make it seem easy?
HELP?

Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

What do you need help with, nosaint?

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi

Post by Guest »

Here is what is not working so far:

Speedo
Gas guage pinned at full
upshift
High beam indidcator
Tach moves when signal lights are on.....
Check engine im sure is out too....

89GTZ

Post by 89GTZ »

Quote (nosaint @ Feb. 28 2005,16:06)Here is what is not working so far:

Speedo
Gas guage pinned at full
upshift
High beam indidcator
Are you sure the new cluster is compatible on everything?  My gas gauge is pinned at full too.  It does not even move on startup.  If you figure that one out let me know.    You didn't have a digital dash initially did you?

89GT(Z)
15.904@85.15 - many years ago

Post by Guest »

nope. no digital
the gas guage was empty then i swapped some wires around and in slowly moved past full.  O if this was true!!

Post by Guest »

Why did you tear the dash apart? why didn't you just take the whole thing out?

Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

Quote (nosaint @ Feb. 28 2005,15:06)Here is what is not working so far:

Speedo
Gas guage pinned at full
upshift
High beam indidcator
These instructions assume that you kept your old wiring instead of switching to the new.

Speedo:  Remove your instrument cluster, turn the ignition on, and connect a voltmeter (set to DC Volts) to Pin Z and ground.  It should read battery voltage.  Now connect the voltmeter to Pin Z and Pin N.  It should read battery voltage.  If either test fails, check to make sure that the wires to those two terminals are not cut or otherwise damaged.  If the problem isn't cured, let me know.

Fuel Gauge:  Get under the back of the car and disconnect the wiring that goes to the fuel tank.  Using a jumper wire, connect Pin B (should be a pink wire) to ground.  Turn the ignition on.  The fuel gauge should read Empty.  Turn the ignition off.  Get back under the car and connect the jumper wire to Pin B and Pin A (Pin A should be black).  Turn the ignition on.  The fuel gauge should read Empty.  If the gauge fails to read empty on the first test, check the condition of the pink wire all the way to the instrument cluster.  If the gauge fails to read empty on the second test, check the condition of the black wire all the way to the instrument cluster.  If the tests pass, the fuel sender is bad.  If the problem isn't cured, let me know.

Upshift Light:  Check to see that there is a bulb for this first, then check to make sure the bulb works.   Disconnect the yellow connector from the ECM and turn the ignition on.  Using a voltmeter set to DC Volts, measure between Pin F6 and ground.  If there is no voltage, check the condition of the wire all the way back to the instrument cluster.  If there IS voltage, let me know.

High Beam Light:  Check to be sure this indicator bulb works.  Do your high beams turn on?  If not, the problem could be the dimmer switch located on the steering column.  If the high beams work, check the condition of the light green wire all the way from the bulkhead connector (Pin A2) to the instrument cluster.  If the problem isn't cured, let me know.

Tachometer Moves When Signal Lights Are On  This is very common.  My cars do this too.  I'm guessing this is more of a fluctuation than a big movement?

Let me know if this helps, nosaint.  I've guided people through this conversion, but my conversion was totally different because I chose to use the new wiring, still use my digital dash, and add a bunch of stuff.  So I can't say I've actually experienced the problems you've mentioned.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:

Post by Guest »

wow dude, thanks for taking the time to actually write something usefull!!

did the test for speedo.
12V to Z
0V N to Z

I think we can get rid of the the tach wiggle by the signal light by just adding a diode somewhere in the circuit,

does anyone have the color codes for what wires do what?
Like brown/white is check engine light?

Here is what i have so far:
Fuctions are not 100 % and neither is document for that matter!!!

1990 GTZ to newer dash
Wiring cheat sheet

Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

Hey, awesome!  Thanks for posting your cheat sheet--I think this will help!  Everything is correct on the cheat sheet except for a few things that got mixed up in the New wiring part:

C = Speedometer
D = Ground
F = Temperature Gauge
R = Right Turn Signal
S = Tachometer

And I'm sorry for the delay.  I was out of town for a couple days.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:

Post by Guest »

Thanks Jeff
File is updated with your data.  Hope its right!!!

still have no speedo
but i think i was playing with wrong spot so ill have to go check again.

Post by Guest »

dash is in and working.  Thanks to all that went before me and made it easier.  I'm pretty happy with my cheat sheet and thanks to Jeff P for making some corrections.  Its mainly for a 90 to newer dash but still should be usefull.

dload the Cheat Sheet here

A few tips:

A> Get a round column if you can as it will look that much better.  You took the dash out may as well go all the way.

B> Make sure all the wires and connectors are buttoned back up before you start testing the cluster.  I was under the impression that the cluster would work just by itself.

C> Two people make things a lot easier

D> Label what wire went to what pin before you take them out.  This may come in handy if you colors don't match my cheat sheet.

tis all..........