H.I.D. Headlights?

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
subi_fan12

H.I.D. Headlights?

Post by subi_fan12 »

has anyone installed H.I.D. headlights into there beretta? If so, what brand did you use and can you post pictures? I know there are alot of different prices & companies out there guaranteeing they are the best, I want to know I'm getting the best deal. Any help would be appreciated.

snowblindburd
Administrator

Re: H.I.D. Headlights?

Post by snowblindburd »

I went with DDM-Tuning. As have my friends. As far as re-based HID's go, they seem to work out pretty well. Stay away from the VVME kits, my friend had terrible results with his.

In a factory housing you're going to have tons of blinding light scatter, unfortunately. I have mine mounted in halogen projectors (E36 headlights), which helps a lot with the light output, but a true HID projector and bulb would be the best option. There are some who have retrofit them into their Beretta headlights, but they retained the stock lens, which still must have some adverse effect on the light output, but I never took the time to examine their light output at night.

subi_fan12

Post by subi_fan12 »

Thanks for the reply, I know the Bmw E36 headlight swap is very popular but I really want to keep the original apearance of the car. I never liked the headlight lense's on the beretta, very restrictive of light, alot of cars from the 90's where that way. I will look into DDM - Tuning . com, thanks again.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

As was posted though, the best thing you could do is to install Projector retrofit kit's in the stock beretta housings and also grind off the lens scatter pattern from the inside so the lens ends up being just clear... yeah that would take a long time I know, but thats the only way to get the proper projector cutoff that you should have when running HID lights. Using the stock beretta lens will scatter light even if you have the projector fitted behind it... But to sum it all up, sticking HID bulbs in the stock lights will be annoying/blinding to any oncoming traffic, and quite possibly illegal depending on local laws.

I've been pretty successfull with DDMTuning and my lights on my Legacy, it was only after I had one go out on me that I decided to swap vendors and I have been fighting with their crap ever since... do not get DiodeDynamics bulbs... I've had 3 change color on me now which is a bit rediculious... they've gone from 5000k to almost 3000k... I want nice white light not all yellowish like halogen bulbs. I'm going to be ordering 2 new sets of lights from DDM soon to replace my headlights and fogs again. The Beretta I believe is OEM fog bulbs since I had new fogs installed, and I have Silverstar headlights... Yes they burn out quick on a DD but I don't use them often so they last years for me.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

Yeah, for what you want, as Jon said, the best option would be retrofit projectors in your stock lights. But you'd have to either file down that beam pattern or make a custom clear lens.

I really wouldn't recommend putting them in a stock housing without some sort of projector because you will be blinding people. But, ultimately that is your decision to make.

Chad (lmnjlo) and Brad (GODLIKE) and maybe someone else are using projector retrofits in stock housings that Brad made (I asked him, he said he's done making them so I wouldn't bother asking, lol), without the modifications to the lens. Brad may offer some insight on the process. So you may want to inquire with them on the light output at night.

Otherwise there are websites out there dedicated to retrofitting headlights (http://www.theretrofitsource.com, for one).

Finally, you could update to a more powerful halogen bulb, designed for use in a halogen housing.

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280761252773?var ... 3210wt_906

had good luck with these for a year now. no "miss-firing" problems turning on ever

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12V-35W-New-Bran ... 218wt_1031

that's the original kit that bought x2, low beams and fogs. (this is not the proper bulb type... just what style mine are, and what comes with the kit)

aim your lights the best you can... It seems GM made a lot of cars with this style of scatter-light housing... for many years.

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

berettaboi wrote: aim your lights the best you can... It seems GM made a lot of cars with this style of scatter-light housing... for many years.
Yes and it's designed for a halogen bulb, NOT the increased light ouput of a Xeon HID bulb.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"