Looking into a 1-2" suspension lift...

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Koots

Looking into a 1-2" suspension lift...

Post by Koots »

I know this is completely against the grain, but this car was quite admirable on the dirt (My 97 Civic was horrendous on anything but pavement) and I wouldn't mind some extra ground clearance for taller tires.

It seems I can run some low-budget spacers up front ($110) and rear ($50) for 2" of lift. These kits I have very little info about. It's a simple way to lift, but then I'm not sure if this will over-extend my strut and quickly damage it.

or I could run a coilover setup up front. A local guy has a alignment/scale setup in his garage, which I could use to tune the coilovers for the weight. Then I can test and tune on my own time. My shop is down a rough gravel road and is always a good test of new suspension parts and improvements. I expect to spend at least $1000 for a decent coilover setup and lots of time fitting, testing and tuning. Something like a QA1 or full custom, i'm not sure. The off-road truck aftermarket has shown me that there are lots of coil over manufacturers that just need some specs and measurements and can piece together a good set for you to fit perfectly.

That will give me more travel than the stock CV and control arms could probably handle, but I could always use some limiting straps or bumpstops. Anyway, let me know what you think or any ideas.

berettaboi

Re: Looking into a 1-2" suspension lift...

Post by berettaboi »

not sure you'll get too much more out of the control arms actually... they can handle the 2" i'm sure, but they can't go a lot further to full extension me thinks... (actually, you'll likely still have tons...)

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
Koots

Post by Koots »

Full travel isn't necessary, but could be utilized if need be. I'm sure there are high angle CV's too have made if I go the custom route.

For cheapness, I've heard the Moog replacement coils are quite stiff, which should help get the high mileage suspension back up to full stock height. I've heard they don't ride well in the Beretta's, but my Corsica will probably be loaded down with some gear in the trunk. My old Civic never had an empty trunk and sometimes I had a giant toolbox in the back LOL

So I can see me needing the extra spring rate to keep the inner fenders off of the tires. Anyway, just bouncing ideas around :D

Koots

Post by Koots »

I've decided that the next thing I change will be Moog replacement rear coils. If they are too stiff, I'm gonna have at least 100lbs in the trunk at any given moment. Even my 2.25" lowered Civic had more than that in it, so I can imagine it will be more for this slightly larger car.

If those work out well, I'll buy a front set to try out. If the spring rate is too stiff, I will pull em off and keep em around for when I eventually turbo or V6 swap the car.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks would help and give a soft Caddy style ride. But....to me they didn't react fast enough if there are two or more pot holes(one after the other). It felt like the tire was still in the air. Not something you would want on a gravel road. They are easy to find though and you could always try them(just take it easy).

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

Monroe shocks have had a very short life with me, They are decent for the first 2 months and then just degrade quickly from there. I've only had them on trucks though, including the Sensatrac and Reflex versions and they both were gone in 2 months. The Reflex had more control, but a terrible ride. The Sensatrac had a nice ride but terrible control.

The GR-2's in the front of my Corsica seem to do a great job though. I only noticed they were KYB's after I accidentally rubbed the dirt off of it with my hand LOL. They ride great and handled nicely on some of the dirt roads I drove it on. I didn't get a lot of seat time due to the horrendous HG and the mangled exhaust but I was pleased with the overall ride.

I'm almost done with the "road legalization" of the car now. The bedliner is almost cured on the underside of the car and then the exhaust needs to be fixed and then it's putting everything back together and finishing touches. Then I can get a little more serious after I get it registered.

Koots

Post by Koots »

I wanted to mention that my inspiration for a lifted car comes from this guy around town, driving around in an 80's Jetta lifted 2" and with a roof-rack. Looks badass, in a very strange way that I like. I'd definitely do it better though, as his just seems to be a winter beater and not an HD car.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

This is so strange to me(lol).

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

I've decided that my goal is probably gonna be achieved with a full air-suspension or coilovers.

I think air would work best for me, but coilovers would make for the better performing suspension in all circumstances. So the great internal suspension debate will rage on inside me for a while LOL

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Coilovers means manual adjustment... Air means adjust from the comfort of your seat... OR hydraulic... Which ever is easier :) The problem with air though is not only will it change the ride height but your ride quality will greatly suffer because it will become extremely stiff... and to possibly get it as low as you want you may have to lower the air pressure so much that you now have too bouncy of a ride...

Honestly in the end the only way to do it properly is with coilovers that you manually adjust.... which will affect your alignment and caster/camber adjustments every time you touch that adjustment ring. If you change 1" in ride height you could change your toe to be in or out by 1/2" or 3/4". It's just a downfall of the suspension geometry of this car, and actually almost any.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Koots

Post by Koots »

You are correct, as this has been winning in my brain for the past few hours now.

I have no problem with manually adjusting my alignment either, as I've recently started messing around with my 2500HD Silverado's alignment and doing it with the wheels/tires still on it.

i've been doing lots of reading about them, for putting them on my trucks and would make this car even more entertaining to drive.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

You can get the suspension up, but taller tires will not be easy. There is not much room by the spring perch up front. And you'll likely get rubbing at full lock too.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Why don't you slam the 2500HD? haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Koots

Post by Koots »

woody90gtz wrote:You can get the suspension up, but taller tires will not be easy. There is not much room by the spring perch up front. And you'll likely get rubbing at full lock too.
If I run coilovers, which I'm very serious about, but not sure if It's worth it for the car yet, but If I do run them, the spring perch will be much smaller on the coilover shock body or if I cut down the spring perch to put coilover sleeves in.

The simple coilover sleeve approach will give me the adjustability without going into a full custom or performance suspension. I can run them on my stock GR-2 struts. Even though all the QA1 shocks I've been speccing out are seriously getting me interested in the possibilities...plus all the potential spring rates for 2.5"' coils is amazing.