Eibach springs rotating on Strut.

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
lllusion

Post by lllusion »

Well I just installed the new KYB struts with new Eibach springs and taking it out for a drive I was getting a clunking sound.  

Thought it might have been the tierods but it turns out after looking at a strut while my friend turned the wheel that the spring itself is rotating (giving away and making the abrupt "clunk" sound) a little bit when the steering wheel turns all the way left and all the way right.  

Has anyone else had this problem when installing new springs??? Do you think new strut mounts will fix this?

0 to YAYYYYYY!
-W41 cams
-Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
-Spec Stage III Lightened clutch
-Self Tuned EPROM via Moates
-KYB GR-2's all around
-Eibach Pro lowering springs
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Sounds like the top strut mount is not allowing the spring to rotate properly.  The mount has to be installed correctly and it has a LOT of small ball bearings around the edge of it.  They need to be able to move easily and lubed properly.

I'd pull them back out and check it out.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

lllusion

Post by lllusion »

Will do thanks rex.

0 to YAYYYYYY!
-W41 cams
-KYB GR-2's all around
lllusion

Post by lllusion »

Well I dont understand how eibachs are a "direct replacement" for stock springs because when you would have both side by side on the ground and make sure the bottom of the spring is in the same direction and then you look at the top the eibachs coil ends about 90-120 degrees after the stock one...

I lined them up on the bottom of the spring perch on the strut then put the top on according to the end of the spring (only way it will fit) well that is what the clunking was from.  Thanks Rex.  Now the bottom rubber insulators for my spring are a little messed up because I had to twist the spring (which moved the spring seat of course) to compensate for the extra bit of coil on the eibachs... Weird.

The ride is excellent though I am definitely happy about that... my car is lower on one side too because just from driving to work I have more hard right turns then left and I took a 270 degree onramp turn pretty agressively but not to the limits of course just to get a feel for the new setup.  so the driver side sits about... 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the passenger side.

0 to YAYYYYYY!
-W41 cams
-KYB GR-2's all around
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

If you have not replaced the strut mounts I would do so. Mine had 100,000 when I did it and they were tottally trashed. They allowed the center of the strut to wallow around.

The top of the coil spring IIRC is not important to go in the same place, but the bottom I think was the one that had a space for the coil to lock into. Just make sure that when assembled, it looks like the angles match the angle of the strut tower... I think there is a notch on the strut mounts that aligns a certain way on the body of the car/strut tower.

When you have it set correctly, you'll need an alignment too.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Mr Goodwrench

Post by Mr Goodwrench »

Ya for some reason the Eibach springs are coiled a little longer "mine to".  Ya you must not had the end of the spring lined up with the end of strut mount plate stop..  

ive seen this on peoples cars where they changed their own parts (spring, strut, strut mount).

the top plate with the 3 bolts does turn an it will all line up..

Mr Goodwrench