rear disc brakes?

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Da-Funk

rear disc brakes?

Post by Da-Funk »

hi, I was just wondering what kind of rear disc brakes you could use to convert from the shitty drums?
because they suck and mine are broken and they lock up with the slitest tap of the pedal and I do have ABS its a 1992 GTZ

Bman Gtz

rear disc brakes?

Post by Bman Gtz »

Only person I know of that has done it is BDEE, not sure if he is on this site but that was his name on Bstuff, I have been wanting to do that but it's alot of work and would cost quite a bit so I am just sticking with drums and getting good pads and rotors in the front.

BMAN

BMAN

SuzukiGhostRider

rear disc brakes?

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

He IS on this site I believe. He'll probably post when he sees this thread.

Kyle Anderson

rear disc brakes?

Post by Kyle Anderson »

umm.... unless I'm crazy, I don't think Aaron has rear disks...

I believe you're thinking of Jon- 3x00-modified on here.

Rodville

rear disc brakes?

Post by Rodville »

(Kyle Anderson @ Apr. 05 2008,20:34)QUOTEumm.... unless I'm crazy, I don't think Aaron has rear disks...

I believe you're thinking of Jon- 3x00-modified on here.
I thought he had them also? Hmm...But then again I could just be losing my mind.

Kyle Anderson

rear disc brakes?

Post by Kyle Anderson »

http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonbo ... f=27;t=352

Doesn't look like discs to me....

Jon is the one you're after. Here's a link to him:

http://www.beretta.net/board....3641486

Bman Gtz

rear disc brakes?

Post by Bman Gtz »

My mistake, sorry.

BMAN

BMAN

Cliff8928
Administrator

rear disc brakes?

Post by Cliff8928 »

I have some sitting here that I have yet to get to.  The whole setup came off a 02 Camaro or something like that.

Cliff Scott
Beretta__z26

rear disc brakes?

Post by Beretta__z26 »

so did he use corvette C5 disks or something else?

My '90 INDY and '96 Z26
weba

rear disc brakes?

Post by weba »

Baer has a upgrade set ready to bolt on (for J-body), it uses 12" drilled\slotter rotors, bracket and Corvette C4/F-body style calipers.

I have a copy of the brackets (bought from erich) and the calipers from ebay, new pads.. just waiting for the discs to arrive witch i ordered like 2 months ago, then it will be done in a day.  

I fill up for $130. Also Beretta owner since 2004
3X00-Modified
Administrator

rear disc brakes?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Remember Baer's setup is still a corvette caliper... and after having these on my car for 2 years I will never do it again.  Only RDB setup I will do is a Neon setup that the J-body guys did so I can have a normal Drum style parking brake.

I used 95 Vette calipers and the E-brake design sucks, it doesnt hold worth of **** and it rusts and sticks WAY too easy.

Me and Lemon yellow 3800 and Nocutt are the only three that I know of with rear disc brakes.  Mine use a 92 beretta rotor to keep the 5x100 pattern but I'm gonna look into something different for the pink car.

And the Baer setup will push the bearing out another 1/4 inch or whatever plate thickness you use for the adapter since that goes between the bearing and the mounting plate.  And on top of that it will also push the tire out the extra thickness of the rotor over what the drum face was... so just remember your *** width is gonna grow almost a 1/2 on each side, hopefully you had/have enough fender to tire clearance... I know when I did my swap I had to roll my rear fender wells since my tires were rubbing.  That was with a 35 offset rim IIRC and 225 tires.

My avitar is my rdb swap in it's prime when it had new rotors and everything.  

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cliff8928
Administrator

rear disc brakes?

Post by Cliff8928 »

That's one reason I didn't want to go with that setup is because of the parking brake.  I'll have the drum-in-hat style with the newer F-Body brakes.  No 5x100 though.  It can be either 5x115 or 5x120.67.

Cliff Scott
heavywoody
Global Moderator

rear disc brakes?

Post by heavywoody »

Will the 98-02 F-body setup require welding the brackets to the rear axle Cliff?

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
3X00-Modified
Administrator

rear disc brakes?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Possibly... I'm curious to see what that setup entails, if its easier than the Neons then I'm all for it.  I can deal 5x115 I have rims that fit that.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cliff8928
Administrator

rear disc brakes?

Post by Cliff8928 »

Yeah, As it currently looks, new flanges will have to be welded on.  That should be fairly easy for many performance shops, because it's just a plate on a tubular axle like would be done on a RWD car.  The holes would also have to be modified slightly in the aluminum caliper bracket for the perfect square bolt pattern as compared to the trapezoidal pattern of the 10-bolt.  A bearing from the rear of a newer N-Body could be used for a 5x115 bolt pattern or the front of a F-Body for a 5x120.67 bolt pattern.

Cliff Scott