Rotted spring perch

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
StevenJMcTowlie

Rotted spring perch

Post by StevenJMcTowlie »

I am looking to replace the springs the previous owner cut in HALF with a new set of stock Moog springs. While jacking up the car to finish some exhaust work I noticed the perch on my rear pass side is pretty much gone. Can these be found and replaced or should I just fab something up? I was just going to weld in a steel plate with a piece of tube welded in the middle to act as the perch. Any suggestions?

Money pit Beretta

Re: Rotted spring perch

Post by Money pit Beretta »

That is all you can do. I wish there was a kit for this kind of thing.

keep'em flying!
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Check that cross beam that connects the perches, too. You'll probably want to address that as well.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Waiting for the post of "what beam" because its completely gone... LOL

This is so common on these cars and I was actually looking at my 96 and saw a bit more crap on one than I wanted last year... I cleaned it all up and sealed it and it hasn't hurt anything yet but with my new plasma cutter and tig welder, I'm strongly contemplating building a whole new perch to put up there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
StevenJMcTowlie

Post by StevenJMcTowlie »

It's actually not that bad under there. Around the perch there is some surface rust but nothing to bad. I only need the one perch but I am going to fab them both while I'm in there. I have a couple extra chain link fence posts lying around I will cut about 4" sections to use as the perch. I have a friend who works in a steel shop getting me a couple pieces of 18 gauge galvanized pool steel for the plates. I am also going to coat them with some undercoat once they are on the car and hope for the best.