MRZ rear strut quality?

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
DOHC_tuner

MRZ rear strut quality?

Post by DOHC_tuner »

I just received my MRZ rear strut bar and it looks like this. Also its not powder coated, its rattle can spray painted. First two pictures show one end which seems odd.....its not straight. Last picture is the other end which is straight.

Slinky

Re: MRZ rear strut quality?

Post by Slinky »

i asked Matt the same question at MRZ because mine is the same exact way, are they supposed to be this way?, his response was that they are all made that way because of the way the rear shock towers are, so yes they intentionally weld them crooked..

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

For some reason yes the rear shock mounts are not symmetrical... I have yet to understand why. Regarding the cheap rattle can paint over powder coat I'm not sure...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

*slow clap* Wayyyy to go GM engineers...way to go.

Slinky

Post by Slinky »

3X00-Modified wrote:For some reason yes the rear shock mounts are not symmetrical... I have yet to understand why. Regarding the cheap rattle can paint over powder coat I'm not sure...
MRZ getting more paperrr that's why rattle can

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

Okay, installed. Is this the proper way to install? I did not re install the stock metal bracket. Why does Mrz make the holes slotted.....I tighten down the nuts really hard because I don't want this thing to move like their crappy adjustable front tower brace does.

Last pic....does this wire go to 3rd brake light? I don't have a 3rd brake light in my gtu spoiler....it's been shaved off.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

THAT is most certainly NOT the quality standard that Matt built that company on.

In fact it's disgusting!!

Full disclosure!!

I have had my differences with them over the years, and also spent 100's of dollars there, but that piece is unacceptable!!

Mathieu is a great guy whom I expect has pretty much moved on from Berettas and is concentrating on newer customers.

He is still my friend and I respect his efforts, and would love to see him show up next fall in Kingston at B'Fest NE!!

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

How thick are the ends? I can check mine to see if it's the same. Not sure if it is slotted because it is for both the Cavy and the Beretta. The problem is I think they are the same anyway(never had the ability to check, my car is too new).
Well mine works just fine and over all I'm happy with it. But...I do think the ends could be a little thicker and have less slotting. I wasn't about to buy some universal Ebay POS that would flex more anyway if it fit.
When I got mine on I did some testing(as I have with all my strut/shock bars). I pushed and pulled hard in four directions with no flex. I can't say the same for the junk/rip off Vibrant bars that I bought used for my Cavy. They flex like crazy in the middle!
If you want to see a weaker end I'll take a photo of the Vibrant shock bar end. It is thinner than the MRZ. I used that for a hybrid Vibrant/RK Sport shock tower bar. The RK Sport bar didn't fit right over the longer bolts that were needed. Tired of messing with it and wasting money on both the hybrid was made. I could have drilled out the holes, but thought they should have been right in the first place. I did feel a change in the car so I left it on there. Cut that story short to stop a big rant.

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

Good thing I read this before I decided to blindly try welding up my own rear bar. I would have put them on straight and then wondered why it would fit LOL

whiteretta

MRZ rear strut quality?

Post by whiteretta »

I just now read this post and wanted to add that when I got mine a couple years ago, the red paint was sort of pinkish and satin in finish in areas. The paint was even sticky, bad enough that it never sealed properly and I had to repaint part of it and clear over the whole bar.

Any other recent reviews on these bars since the original post date?

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

Car feels good on corners in the rear, but I still need a front brace.

I still just don't like the holes are slotted as it allows for a little movement. But I did bolt that sucker down tight to try and prevent that. But who knows, hard corners could move it.

Oh and it would be nice if the middle section was raised to allow room for bulky items in the trunk.

whiteretta

MRZ rear strut quality?

Post by whiteretta »

I can't remember who, but someone used an Acura rear bar for a while. It didn't fit on all of the bolts, but it was raised high enough to clear anything in the trunk.

For a front bar I'd just stick with a vert Cavalier bar!

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I made my own because I didn't really like what was out there...

And the reason one side is crooked is to clear the gas filler neck.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
whiteretta

MRZ rear strut quality?

Post by whiteretta »

Woody you need to patent this, haha.

DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »