Koni Yellow PN's Bilstein #'s

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
michi

Re: Koni Yellow PN's Bilstein #'s

Post by michi »

I didnt asked about the quality of konis vs. kyb... i just wonder how happy you guys are with konis cause id like to have a set for my car too :) What springs are you running? Anyone with canucks, sprint or intrax springs? I like the drop of the canucks thats why i didnt put on the Eibach prokit on mine...
Weba, does your black car got original konis that were sold for our cars or have you done that build too?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'm running Eibach on both setups. I don't feel the koni's are that harsh... yeah they can feel pretty rough when you have the dampening cranked up, but if I take that out they feel quite fine.

Going off the numbers if you have the J-body setup the compression dampening is quite firmer than the original Beretta spec... Not sure why they did that with the Beretta being the heavier car but they did for some reason. SO what I'm running may be firmer than say Mike Pride's GTZ since he has original Beretta Koni's. The Mitsubishi ones are somewhere in the middle and the only person running those is Robert right now on his GT.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
weba

Post by weba »

michi, I have the J-body ones fitted. Sprints at front and Eibach at rear, both pairs are about 10 year old.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

I doubt the 95-05 J-Body Konis that much more harsh (if at all) than the Beretta specific versions. My GT (on eibachs) and Mike's GTZ (on sprints) pretty well ride like a buckboard. Both are equipped with the Beretta-Specific Konis on all 4 corners.

Cliff Scott
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

According to Koni spec the dampening rate is much higher for the J-bodies.
Looking at the data, dimensionally the Beretta and Cavalier units are similar with Cavalier being ½ to ¾ inch shorter but the Cavalier is nearly double the rebound and compression damping forces of the Beretta. Although the valving of the Eclipse unit in rebound is in between the other two cars
L-N body
8641-1239Sport
Max. extended (mm) 580
Min. Compressed (mm) 417
Rebound damping max/min (@ .33 m/s) 1300/650
Compression damping (@ .33 m/s) 400

Rebound damping max/min (@ .13 m/s) 500/250
Compression damping (@ .13 m/s) 280

J-body
8641-1454Sport
Max. extended (mm) 567
Min. Compressed (mm) 400
Rebound damping max/min (@ .33 m/s) 2500/1250
Compression damping (@ .33 m/s) 700

Rebound damping max/min (@ .13 m/s) 1500/750
Compression damping (@ .13 m/s) 400

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

I can confirm by my back-o-meter that Pride's racecar is quite the wild ride. Not sure I'd want to drive/ride in something more harsh than that :D.

1991 Beretta GTZ
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Pauly recently did this with the Mitsubishi inserts and the total cut off for the strut housing is 64mm vs the Koni measurement of 40mm. These inserts are shorter than the J-body's. This ended up with a insert stickout like this.
13389070_10153472121892827_1440136162_o.jpg
You want to have at least this much of the insert visible.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

No updates on this in a few years, but that's about to change!

With the recent trip down south and finally killing the rear shocks, I wanted to check the part numbers listed here to get a better, more performance oriented shock than the KYB's. I'd seen all the stock shock measurements, and remembered you can look up shocks by specs on Speedway Motor's website. Of course, I only got two options. However, one option had a vehicle fitment note on it...

Looks like fox body Mustangs have shocks relatively close to the '87 - '94 shocks, with actual performace options! All specs listed are KYB Excel specs, for reference. Looks like the bottom bracket on the car would need drilled out more, and you'd need a larger bolt, but I don't see this as an issue. Same length and thread pitch on the top stud.

'87 - '94 Beretta -

Fox body Mustang -

Mustang shock on bottom -

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Another option is 93-02 F-body shocks. I'm using them on my rear with the J-body rear axle; all you need to do is press out the bolt and insert a tube for the bolt to go through.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

So for reference on the fox body rear shocks, all I had to do was drill out the holes on the axle for the bolts to 1/2" and run 1/2" bolts, and I filed down the metal sleeves on the shocks as well. They were a tad wide. Fit pretty well otherwise, top stud is the same as factory!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
aurolio

Post by aurolio »

heavywoody wrote:Another option is 93-02 F-body shocks. I'm using them on my rear with the J-body rear axle; all you need to do is press out the bolt and insert a tube for the bolt to go through.
How's the ride quality with F-body shocks? Are they stiff?

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Hard to tell if those are stiff or if the 400 # springs in the back are too stiff...

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

I have 450lb springs in the rear, it's the springs Geoff haha

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
krisverde

Re: RE: Re: Koni Yellow PN's Bilstein #'s

Post by krisverde »

whiteretta wrote:So for reference on the fox body rear shocks, all I had to do was drill out the holes on the axle for the bolts to 1/2" and run 1/2" bolts, and I filed down the metal sleeves on the shocks as well. They were a tad wide. Fit pretty well otherwise, top stud is the same as factory!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
This is good to hear. Fox body shocks are always out there and there are so many options! If you browse though mustang forums you can usually find a decent set of Bilsteins because someone is always changing their suspension set up. That's how I was able to find a whole set up for my Thunderbird

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

evsnova74

Post by evsnova74 »

Anyone know any options for fronts in 2021? These mitsu konis are getting hard to find now. Being rebuildable I'm hoping that if I can just get one pair I'll be set. I'm building a calais (sorry this forum is the closest thing for the N body of that year since quad4forums went under) and so far everything has been the same as the Lbody. I'll be using these with a set of eibachs I got when dante did the group purchase a while back that I never used. Would hate to install them on some kyb's or similar.