Koni Yellow PN's Bilstein #'s

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Koni Yellow PN's.

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Found a new shock for the rear for 95+ cars... Verifying some info on the bottom eyelet but the only change between the saab and the new one is the bottom mount is a 14mm collar. You can either bush it to match the 10mm that comes with some Monroe brackets, or drill out the lower brackets to be 14mm and get a bolt.

The Gabriel shocks I bought to get the brackets from ended up having a 12.5mm bolt instead of the typical 10mm, so I have to braze a washer on it for the meantime if I wish to use the saab shocks this weekend. I will probably order these to replace what I have. 19.2" uncompressed and 11.85" compressed they go shorter than a stock Beretta shock so that's really good!

*Update
Lower bushing is 41mm wide vs 36mm so you will have to customize the bracket width to fit

This is the bracket I got with some $9 Gabriel shocks. Needs to be widened to fit the Koni... I will verify this is even possible tonight.
IMAG0208.jpg
Attachments
8041-1202SPORT.pdf
(117.14 KiB) Downloaded 782 times

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

Aww man, and I just telling Mike "My back says Screw Koni's!"

aaaaand the itch returns..

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I know this wont help... But the ride actually isn't that bad... especially since they are adjustable rebound, not compression.

But Just remember this... You can go KYB and be done, OR you can go this setup and open up the world to a perfect suspension setup... The awesome thing about Koni shocks is you can take them and send them to a shop with all of your spring specs, your sprung weight and everything you want to do with your vehicle as well as the rest of your mods and they will re-valve these things to better suite your application. The possibilities are endless when you have people willing to custom tweak them.

And to update this thread if anyone cares.... Since the Bilstein shocks I bought a while back just haven't moved yet I'm at a standstill regarding buying ANOTHER set of rear shocks for the 96... So that will have to wait a while till I recover.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Damn I should have went with Koni's on the Cav. The Agx's ride rough and I'm on setting one. I thought that all adjustables worked in the same way. Well I thought I put off buying long enough. Looks as if I waited until now I'd been better off.

keep'em flying!
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

I clicked on your links to check for prices on both strut inserts and shocks... They both came up dead for me. Are there any updated links?

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The Jegs links are bad yes... not sure why... Call them up and see if they can still order them for you... (prefix the pn with 610- I think it was)OR go direct to Koni and see if they will price match Race-Mart.com Koni wants $387 per pair but Race-Mart lists them at $155 each... Also when I had to have one of mine warrantied due to the adjuster leaking they charged me $129 for an advanced replacement fee that I'm getting refunded... so I know they should be able to sell them for that cheap.

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cfm?m ... mit=Search

You can order from Race-Mart, they do have the best price... It just took forever for my front struts to come it which was nuts.

Also you can just search the web for the PN's

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

For the "donor" struts, do you recommend getting some used OEM or just buying some ~20 monroe's off rockauto? If I shipped the struts to you, would you be willing to do the cutting and have the bushings made? Would be summer time after my move to Indiana.

heavywoody wrote:Beretta, fast, reliable, and cost effective are words that should not be used in the same sentence.
95' BRM Z26. cammed/ported 3400/3500 Hybrid. HM282, OBD2, Garret T3/T04E 60 Trim, IC.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I could do that sure, and as far as donors go, I wouldn't get cheap stuff with what was posted on here about the strut housing breaking off the knuckle mount on a set... I used old KYB's that I had lying around from my old car. Really just anything you trust.

I can have the bushings made up out of steel rather than bronze and then I will tig them into the tube so they stay in place. I really don't think it was necessary to use bronze on my setup. The guy who did them I believe thought there would be more movement than there is with this setup and that's why he recommended a material that is self lubricating and what not.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Koots

Post by Koots »

I gotta order some of these, so I can get all the fitment issues sorted before I go.

I dont' think the GF will understand, especially after replacing one of the shocks in the rear already...just to get it on the road.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Koots you are going to have to come up with his and her settings. That way she will be mad about the money, but happy with the ride. Watch out you may have to get some for her car next.
:)

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

She's usually cool with the end result of my purchases, but doesn't understand when I replace a perfectly good and brand new part.

This will be her car, when she eventually gets her license. She had an "old-fashioned" family that didn't think the women folk should learn how to drive LOL until then, it will be our car to save money with, as opposed to our 2 other trucks (lifted diesel and 3/4 ton crew cab truck).

Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

Awesome. Thanks Jon. I'll keep my eye out for some used kybs or acdelcos. Don't think I should spend ~120 on new KYBs to have them chopped :P.

heavywoody wrote:Beretta, fast, reliable, and cost effective are words that should not be used in the same sentence.
95' BRM Z26. cammed/ported 3400/3500 Hybrid. HM282, OBD2, Garret T3/T04E 60 Trim, IC.
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

this may be a silly question..but when it shows a picture of one shock...does that mean it doesnt come in a pair? or you have to obviously buy 2 (one for each side)

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Read the fine print, most say if its a pair or not.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

So does one have issues when they buy a backup set of Koni's...

lol
20131024_073500_zps0e81a4d7.jpg
Time to build another set of struts. :)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"