Input? Swap to 93 and older control arms?

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
SummitBalt08

Input? Swap to 93 and older control arms?

Post by SummitBalt08 »

I have read about the 93 and older control arms having better bushings and maybe even handling better? Is it possible to swap to the older style?

Over the winter I plan on getting whichever control arms I use powder coated. This is about the Quad Z.. right now it needs new vertical bushings anyways.

Any input is appreciated. If I were to swap to the older style my 93 parts car should have everything I need..

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
woody90gtz

Re: Input? Swap to 93 and older control arms?

Post by woody90gtz »

Yes, lots of people back swap. You will need the older subframes as well. I'm not sure about quads, but with the v6 you need a 92-93 pass side subframe because of the dogbone mount.

Mine actually has a 91 driv side with trans dogbone, 92 pass with engine dogbone, plus the upper engine & trans mounts, so the drivetrain is secured very well.

And if you are swapping arms, go ahead and weld along the seams for extra rigidity.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

So now I just need to out if the 93 V6 subframes off my parts car will work on my 94 Quad right?

Welding them up should be no problem.

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

I have a nice clean pair from a early 5 speed sitting here homie!

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
el_roy1985

Post by el_roy1985 »

I swapped to the older style a few years back. What I noticed is that the opening for the dogbone mount on the pass side was smaller. My billet dogbone did not fit properly. Although, I dont think that particular mount is even produced anymore, it is rather beefy, probably quite a bit more then it needs to be. I got the subframe from either a 93 Corsica or Grand Am. Still works, just a minor issue I ran into when I swapped.

3400/5 speed, internet Tune, FFP UDP, Billet/poly mounts, ported intake manifolds, WAI, 2.5" mandrel exhaust w/ dp, Borla ProXS, Intrax, KYB, poly front end kid, welded a-arms, strut, shock and sub-frame braces.
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

To OP, you need the passenger side frame rail from the 93 car, from what i can gather, they are the same part number whether its the V6 or Quads, they both have the lower dog bone. For the drivers side, you will need a 92-94 quad/2.2 frame rail. Unless you wish to just remove the driver side dogbone mount from the frame.

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

90GTZHO wrote:To OP, you need the passenger side frame rail from the 93 car, from what i can gather, they are the same part number whether its the V6 or Quads, they both have the lower dog bone. For the drivers side, you will need a 92-94 quad/2.2 frame rail. Unless you wish to just remove the driver side dogbone mount from the frame.
I'm sure you meant to say 92-93 quad/2.2 frame rail. ;) Why would he need a dogbone on the driver side though, he doesn't have one now...

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

scd88ga wrote:
90GTZHO wrote:To OP, you need the passenger side frame rail from the 93 car, from what i can gather, they are the same part number whether its the V6 or Quads, they both have the lower dog bone. For the drivers side, you will need a 92-94 quad/2.2 frame rail. Unless you wish to just remove the driver side dogbone mount from the frame.
I'm sure you meant to say 92-93 quad/2.2 frame rail. ;) Why would he need a dogbone on the driver side though, he doesn't have one now...

I never said he needed the dog bone for his car. But he is talking about using a frame from a V6 5spd car. The have the dog bone mount on the drivers side, unlike the 4cyl frames which do not. I was saying if he wishes to use the V6 frame in a Quad car, hes gonna need to remove the dog bone, not add it ;)

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

The whole thing about the passenger side dogbone mount killed this idea a bit.. so if I went to Autozone and got a passenger side stock motor mount for a 93 2.3 it would fit correctly?

Also, how involved is it to switch out the subframes?

Would the V6 5 speed passenger sub frame work on my 94 2.3?

And would I have to get different struts or balljoints?

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
Rex 2.0
Global Moderator

Post by Rex 2.0 »

It is not very difficult.
  • Remove wheel
    Remove ball joint and support the wheel hub.
    If you have fe7 suspension then you have to disconnect the sway bar end link.. If not you can keep the sway bar attached and drop it with the sub frame.
    Remove dog bone motor mount.
    Each end of each sub frame has 2 bolts for a total of 8.
    Once remove them the whole thing should drop down.
    Once it is off it is easy to get to the bolts for the control arm. Replace the control arm bushings with poly. Take a torch to the old bushings and knock them out with an old socket or something. The new ones should slide in.
    Put it back together with new subframes and control arms
    Get Alignment
    Enjoy :Yahoo!:
I replaced my ball joints while I had mine apart as they have to be drilled out the first time.

The struts and ball joints should be the same.

92 GTZ TURBO <-- Rex Mobile
Bosic

Post by Bosic »

Opel Vectra A

Opel Ascona C

92turbogtz

Post by 92turbogtz »

Rex 2.0 wrote:It is not very difficult.
  • If you have fe7 suspension then you have to disconnect the sway bar end link..
This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you disconnect the sway bar link? When I try to undo the nut, it just spins. I took the plastic cap off the backside but it's it round and there's no way to put a wrench on it.

Kris GTwhat?

Post by Kris GTwhat? »

there is a very small nut on the ball side of the sway bar (opposite side of the nut of course) that you can put a wrench on. i had to end up cutting mine off and replace them both

1991 GTZ: RIP
92turbogtz

Post by 92turbogtz »

Thanks for the info but I figured it out about 30 minutes ago. 20mm wrench fits great! :)

Now I just have to figure out how to separate the tie-rod from the strut. Pounding away at it with a pickle fork just ain't doin' it.

Rex 2.0
Global Moderator

Post by Rex 2.0 »

You can hit the tie rod end with a hammer if you plan on replacing them. I keep the nut on but lined up with the end to give it a little more surface area.

92 GTZ TURBO <-- Rex Mobile