ABS Delete for 95 Z26

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Z26_T

ABS Delete for 95 Z26

Post by Z26_T »

Did a quick search and can't remember anyone ever writing anything about this.. Anyone have suggestions on how to delete the ABS? Such as what master cylinder to use to replace the abs integrated one on our cars and proportioning valve? Mostly just want one that I won't have to bend the the brake lines too much. I'm hoping I won't have to.. But my down pipe will be rather close to it.

heavywoody wrote:Beretta, fast, reliable, and cost effective are words that should not be used in the same sentence.
95' BRM Z26. cammed/ported 3400/3500 Hybrid. HM282, OBD2, Garret T3/T04E 60 Trim, IC.
Koots

Re: ABS Delete for 95 Z26

Post by Koots »

I would also like to know this, so i'm bumping it up :D

ABS brakes are ridiculous up here in the winter. My 98 GMC's ABS used to kick on anytime I applied more than dead foot weight on it. So my truck was groaning and making crazy noises all the damn time. It got very annoying after a while, but was surprising amusing while high :P

I just don't want that clunky friggin box in the way. I could use that space for better things.

Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

Found a thread in which a member stated that they're using a master cylinder from an 03' grand am 2.2L, and the porportioning valve off the same vehicle. Need to have two custom lines made to go from the master cylinder to the prop valve, then have your four factory lines go into the prop valve. I'm looking around for the cheapest prop valve. ACDelco part # 22701249. And get the master cylinder from rockauto.com. To find the thread, search "brakes" under the name 3400beretta.

heavywoody wrote:Beretta, fast, reliable, and cost effective are words that should not be used in the same sentence.
95' BRM Z26. cammed/ported 3400/3500 Hybrid. HM282, OBD2, Garret T3/T04E 60 Trim, IC.
88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

Just use the MC from an early model beretta. We swapped and 89 mc onto a buddied 92 GTZ. You just need to change the two lines a little bit iirc.

J

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
89 GTU 3500/5spd swapped 79k white
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
Koots

Post by Koots »

In that case, I might strip what I need from my Corsica parts car, but it's still down at the junkyard cuz I got no way to pick it up right now.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Z26_T wrote:Found a thread in which a member stated that they're using a master cylinder from an 03' grand am 2.2L, and the porportioning valve off the same vehicle. Need to have two custom lines made to go from the master cylinder to the prop valve, then have your four factory lines go into the prop valve. I'm looking around for the cheapest prop valve. ACDelco part # 22701249. And get the master cylinder from rockauto.com. To find the thread, search "brakes" under the name 3400beretta.
Update this when your done. I'd like to hear about it. It may be that my 04 Cav has less weight and the same brakes as we do. Really I think that is only part of it. The newer MS may have more pressure, something I'd like to have on my 95 base.

keep'em flying!
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

As Z26_T stated, this is a mod I did YEARS ago, and posted about it, but no one seemed to care. I have owned like 9 berettas over the years now, (both abs and non abs) and every single one has had a squishy brake pedal that travels too far IMO. Especially compared to newer GM vehicles where you barely push the pedal 1/4 inch and the wheels just about lock up.

After swapping to the grand am master and proportioning valve it was like a night and day difference. Maybe its a larger bore, or the proportioning valve is set up better for our cars, or a combination of both, but its a definate improvement, especailly if you want to get rid fo the factory abs monstrosity. And I got the pair from the junkyard for like $40, you can't even get a reman master for that price around here.

Money pit Beretta

That is just the problem I was looking to solve.
It's tough to drive the Beretta and then go to the Cav. I just about go flying out the windshield.
Glad your still here and thanks.

That larger bore adds more pressure. And that is the key to better braking. Force vs force.

keep'em flying!
Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

Went to the yard today to get "new" bolts for my smaller starter (2000+ 3X00 starter motors), found a 03' malibu 3100 with the same master and prop valve. Will be going back to take them both.

Money pit Beretta

Did you get them?

keep'em flying!
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

i got a nice stiff pedal from my new brake job (ebay crossdrilled cheapies...), brake pads were low on the old setup, and it was as described... regular squishyness i had been used to... pedal grabs much quicker right at the top now. my ABS is malfunctioning at start-up (i suspect the abs compu took a dump somehow)... so it is disabled, but i have 2 annoying lights on my dash...

if you really want the simple way to have non ABS (but slightly a safety issue if you dont keep an eye on your fluids all the time... brake light always on... so you wont be able to tell you are low on fluid... although you know right away when you burst a line in any car i have ever driven - pedal goes much closer to the floor than before!), just unplug at the master cylinder, and the abs compu if you really want... to do it right though, yes, master cylinder swap...

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Koots wrote:I would also like to know this, so i'm bumping it up :D

ABS brakes are ridiculous up here in the winter. My 98 GMC's ABS used to kick on anytime I applied more than dead foot weight on it. So my truck was groaning and making crazy noises all the damn time. It got very annoying after a while, but was surprising amusing while high :P

I just don't want that clunky friggin box in the way. I could use that space for better things.
I'd rather have that happen then them lock up and slide straight... that would be surprisingly amusing while high when the officer is writing you up while your car is in a ditch.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

berettaboi wrote: if you really want the simple way to have non ABS (but slightly a safety issue if you dont keep an eye on your fluids all the time... brake light always on... so you wont be able to tell you are low on fluid...
It's not like the fluid evaporates.. Kinda the opposite since it's hygroscopic :P. As long as there's not a leak, there isn't an issue ;). I'll also make it so the light is off in the IPC. I hate seeing idiot lights.

I have the parts, but I haven't had the time to swap it over yet. Hopefully today or tomorrow. It will be awhile until I can give results though. I have to finish the down pipe before she'll drive again (next week?), and the clutch needs the 500 mile break in period so I won't be beating on it too hard.

Money pit Beretta

Cool man keep updating. I'm really wanting to get the GA's MS on my car. Not sure on the ABS just yet, mine is not working right and I don't want to put money into it. I may, but I've never been a fan of ABS. I spent years in the snow and ice learning what to do with RWD cars. Also this ABS is so basic that it can make you slide anyway.

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

Give me a few weeks and I should have the parts I need for the swap too.

Depends on how my K5 eats up time this summer.