AC compressor seized.

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
spacecadetz26

Re: AC compressor seized.

Post by spacecadetz26 »

i like the mount :pardon:

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Steph you should be shot too.

Well, this project resulted in failure. The belt when routed differently around the waterpump will contact the upper mount. Just barely, but it does. And I'd rather not tear into a brand new belt, even if its only 1/8".

So, I pulled the "new" belt out and put the motor mount back on with no belt. I'll be moving the Jeep out of the garage and registering it while I decide what to do about the Beretta. Its pretty tempting to just put a JY compressor in and recharge the system at home. I've got all the equipment. I'll price out a new compressor and see. Things are super tight with court battles with the ex and Christmas time though, so a JY compressor is looking pretty appealing right now. Either way, Im not motivated to hit the JY today. Maybe tomorrow.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Use this, Pull the bad compressor replace with this pulley and do the other compressor later when you have the money/time to do it.

DORMAN Part # 34217
berettaboi wrote:http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1028854

$26 for my 95 3100. I recall someone saying you can use a shorter belt too, i'm just not sure which engine... or belt size

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Its more for shipping from rockauto than it is for the actual part. Im fine with a JY compressor. I've got refrigerant in the garage already too, which will make things easy.

I intend to do a ton of ice fishing in January and February so its probably best that I use the lifted 4x4 instead of the lowered FWD. Lol.

3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

Chris, where does it touch the upper mount? I don't understand how that is possible, the belt it still routed the same way around the water pump. Do you mean the actual big ass black bracket that attaches to the engine?

Maybe mine was already modified for this purpose.. Either way couldn't you just grind the bracket a touch? That would be easier then messing with a compressor no?

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Yeah its the giant bracket that it touches, and just barely. I considered grinding the bracket to make it work, but realistically its a temporary solution anyway. I dont want to start grinding parts for something that isnt ideal or permanent.

So, tomorrow I'll just grab a JY compressor, return the belt that didnt work, and then recharge the AC myself. More labor, but the right way to do it.

I was hoping I could be lazy, but no such luck.

I took a closer look at the compressor today and pretty sure its the bearings in the clutch that are toast. The pulley rattles and rocks from side to side. Way too much play in it. But its not seized. It spins. Poorly.

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Problem solved. Hit the JY today, picked up a new looking AC compressor out of a 96 grand am. Newer styles have the hose inlet on the top, so I had to make sure it was a 96 model year. Checked it out once the belt was off prior to pulling the compressor and the pulley was MUCH tighter and spun way nicer than my current one. 10 minutes later it was off.

25 minutes working on my car and it was swapped in and recharged. Hardest part was lining the bolts up with the stupid spacer for reinstallation. Seems to have resolved my problem tho. No strange noises etc. $42 later ($35 once I return the core). Less than the damn new belt. Lol.

Recharge went smoothly too. Hardly took any refrigerant, and its blowing colder than before. Thanks for the help peepz.