AC compressor seized.

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Chris88CL

AC compressor seized.

Post by Chris88CL »

Well, looks like my air conditioning compressor just seized up on the Z26. Started making a god awful noise and now smells like burning rubber. Popped the hood and theres little puffs of smoke coming from the AC compressor. I assume its melting the belt.

Now, its freezing cold here and I dont really care about the AC at the moment, nor do I feel like working outside in the garage in this weather.

Can I get away with leaving the compressor in place and getting a belt for a NON-AC motor in the meantime, or will the non-ac belt not fit with the compressor still in there

Asylum

Re: AC compressor seized.

Post by Asylum »

There was a non-AC belt available for the 2.8/3.1 but I don't think there is a specific application for the 3100.
You may be able to come up with a shorter belt by trial and error or get an A/C delete pulley from a parts store.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Yeah I dont want to completely delete the AC. I just dont want to screw with it until later on. Likely spring time.

I`ll pull the belt tomorrow and hit up the parts store and see what I can find.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Your defrost will not be as effective without the AC. It is used to pull moisture out of the air when the defrost is on.

keep'em flying!
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Your defrost will not be as effective without the AC. It is used to pull moisture out of the air when the defrost is on.
Yeah Im aware of that, but its dry as hell here anyway, so Im not too worried. Eventually I`ll replace the compressor. I just dont feel like it right now. I`ll price a new one out tomorrow and see if its worth it. I still have to get a shop to evacuate the system and then charge it back up once the compressor is in there again.

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1028854

$26 for my 95 3100. I recall someone saying you can use a shorter belt too, i'm just not sure which engine... or belt size

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
wi_corsica

Post by wi_corsica »

Remember that the A/C will not operate below about 40 degrees F, so in winter it won't matter if it works or not, for defrost.

88 Corsica Z51 // 90 Corsica Hatchback // 90 Beretta // 91 Corsica
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

You can use a shorter belt, however I am not sure if it will clear with the compressor still in place. See if you have a clear line of site from the water pump pulley to the crank pulley. I have the part number for the correct short belt I used on my 3400 for like 5 years. I'll post it if you want it.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

That's an extremely small contact patch on the WP pulley though...

I used a bypass pulley for Roberts engine when I built it.

This is missing the PS pump, the belt goes over that pulley and I do not think it overlaps the WP much at all...

I can get a photo of the PS pulley and WP pulley if you want, I actually drove my car to work today.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

3400beretta wrote:You can use a shorter belt, however I am not sure if it will clear with the compressor still in place. See if you have a clear line of site from the water pump pulley to the crank pulley. I have the part number for the correct short belt I used on my 3400 for like 5 years. I'll post it if you want it.
Yes PLEASE!

3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

3X00-Modified wrote:That's an extremely small contact patch on the WP pulley though...

I used a bypass pulley for Roberts engine when I built it.

This is missing the PS pump, the belt goes over that pulley and I do not think it overlaps the WP much at all...

I can get a photo of the PS pulley and WP pulley if you want, I actually drove my car to work today.

No offence Jon, but if I didn't know for a fact that it would work I would have kept my mouth shut. I ran my car for over 5 years like this with NO issues whatsoever.

Chris, the PN I used is 6PK1525 or Gatorback PN 4060600. Now I believe I had a tensioner with the smaller pulley on my car, but I honestly cannot remember for sure. So depending on which tensioner you have on your car, you may have to go up or down one size, but at least its a place to start.

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Sweet, thanks.

I dont expect to have any cooling issues. If anything, all I`d expect would be some belt squeal if I hit a big enough puddle to get the belt wet. But even that is doubtful. And from Jon`s pic it looks like I wont have any issues running the smaller belt with the AC compressor still in place.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

3400beretta wrote: No offence Jon, but if I didn't know for a fact that it would work I would have kept my mouth shut. I ran my car for over 5 years like this with NO issues whatsoever.

Chris, the PN I used is 6PK1525 or Gatorback PN 4060600. Now I believe I had a tensioner with the smaller pulley on my car, but I honestly cannot remember for sure. So depending on which tensioner you have on your car, you may have to go up or down one size, but at least its a place to start.
I just think it's such a small patch that's all... never stated it wasn't going to work but it's just something to note.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Whoever engineered the upper passenger side motor mount needs to be shot. Got the old belt out, FINALLY. I`ll go back out and continue freezing my butt off in a bit. I really really hope the belt works. What a pain in the rear.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Chris88CL wrote:Whoever engineered the upper passenger side motor mount needs to be shot.
Agreed :deadhorse: LOL

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"