Z26 5 speed swap

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Chris88CL

Z26 5 speed swap

Post by Chris88CL »

Dont tell me to search, because I have. Hell, I've done the damn swap before! I just forget waaay too much. Lol.

96 Z26, 3400 swapped. Im tired of the granny tranny and its bullsh|t. The mechanical portion of the swap is no problem. I'll probably use the 92+ mounts again, but I may settle for the pre 92 mounts if I cant find one in a timely manner.

Im all good with drilling the firewall and adding the clutch hydraulics etc. No issues there.

I cant for the life of me remember what I did computer wise. Pretty sure I just left the neutral safety switch plugged in from the automatic. The problem then, is if its in park or neutral I end up with a rev limiter and if I keep it in drive, theoretically it shouldnt start
because it thinks its in drive.

Granted I had the DHP previously, so maybe I just removed the rev limiter. I forget.

What are my options? I dont mind swapping to the Monte ECM again and borrowing my old DHP to program the ECM if thats what it takes. Im really really tired of this transmission tho. I want a 5 speed back.

Thoughts? Jon and Geoff, Im talking to you.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Re: Z26 5 speed swap

Post by Cliff8928 »

If I remember right, the part of the switch running to the computer reports that it's in Reverse, then the heavy gauge starter wires are connected together. Obviously the back-up light wires will be connected to the switch on the manual trans.

Cliff Scott
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Before I went OBDII, I left my switch in OD.

But since you're OBDII, the best thing would be to remove the wiring for the automatic, and remove the codes/limiters with a DHP or similar tuner. You could leave the wiring in and the P/N switch on OD or R, but you'll still need a tuner.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

I'd really rather not screw with the harness if I can at all avoid it. But we will see.

Maybe I'll just have to stick with the auto until I blow something up. Likely wont be too long. But if I have to do harness work it will be with the engine out, and I dont want to pull the entire drivetrain until I have a better reason to.

Thanks guys.

weba

Post by weba »

At least with 3.1 MPFI, the car ran with auto-trans software, but it ran like crap, the idle speed was too low etc etc. You might want to change that.

I dunno is there any factory 3x00 5spd software available tho?

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

heavywoody wrote:Before I went OBDII, I left my switch in OD.

But since you're OBDII, the best thing would be to remove the wiring for the automatic, and remove the codes/limiters with a DHP or similar tuner. You could leave the wiring in and the P/N switch on OD or R, but you'll still need a tuner.
So when you went OBDII you removed the automatic wiring Geoff? I remember a writeup somewhere regarding the auto wiring removal from an OBDII harness but I cant find it for the life of me. I suppose I could just copy whatever I did on the 95 that I sold to Travis. I dont remember if I left the switch plugged in or not.

It seems like so much information has been lost, both in my head and on the site.

I think I'll probably start gathering parts this spring when it warms up a bit and see how far I want to take this. I intend to "upgrade" to the 92 subframes too to get rid of the retardo rear control arm bushing. It would be nice to have the 5 speed done before bfest. Assuming of course that I can make it.

PS: Do you not have a build thread on here Geoff?!? It sure would make it a lot easier to copy you if you did.

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

When I swapped my 94 z26 I never got it to run right. Idle was all over the place. I hooked the clutch switch up to the big yellow wire and bypassed the p/n switch. That part worked fine.

Then I gutted it all and went megasquirt.

Ideal way is to just change the computer so it chills the hell out.

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Yeah I've got no problem using the DHP to remove all the auto crap. Its just much easier to keep the harness intact and leave the PN switch hooked up.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Build a real auto... ;)

Geoff's wiring is removed, also with the DHP unit you can use tiny tuners in conjunction and tell the ECU that the Auto is gone so you don't need to screw with any codes or anything. You really should take the Park Drive start lockout and re-wire it to the clutch though so you have a clutch safety switch.

Here is a thread about some of the wiring too...

http://beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php? ... speed+swap

Barry your 94 never ran right because you couldnt tell the ECU the auto was gone. With a 97 Venture or Monte ecu you can tell it it's a "manual" trans using Tiny Tuners.

OBDI.5 is now tunable too and I wonder if that's a table that you can change. I know you can't on the 96 because DHP never openend it up and Tiny Tuners doesn't support the 96 256k file.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

When I 5spd swapped my 94 truck it was just a matter of checking the "manual transmission" checkbox in the bin.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

We didn't have build threads when I started my crap... haha... I guess I can put one together. Damn, that's a lot of crap to remember... it'll be a while before I can start one.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

woody90gtz wrote:When I 5spd swapped my 94 truck it was just a matter of checking the "manual transmission" checkbox in the bin.
Same can be done on a 97 Venture and Monte bin file which makes the car run amazing in comparison to what it does when it thinks there is an auto. I wish I had access to a 5-speed car to test this on more too, since I know it has an ill affect on the cruise control (according to someone on 60*v6 trying it) and I just need to figure out what wiring needs to be changed to make it work.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

jon just lmk when u want to use my car i would be glad to let you work with it