Trans swap interchange

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
StevenJMcTowlie

Trans swap interchange

Post by StevenJMcTowlie »

My car is 91 3.1 5 speed and I have at least one bad syncro gear. MY trans is a Getrag 282. I want to find a trans in good shape to help minimize downtime. I don't want to have to pull mine and rebuild it before I can be back up. If I can find a good one to swap I will take my time rebuilding my bad trans as either a backup or just to sell.
I found this trans on eBay and the seller doesnt have much for interchange info. Can anyone tell me if this will fit my car, would I have to swap the bellhousing to make it mate to the 3.1 ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MUNCIE-282- ... 07&vxp=mtr

woody90gtz

Re: Trans swap interchange

Post by woody90gtz »

It will work if you swap on the v6 bellhousing, but the gearing is crap. It was used in heavy Quad4 vans overseas and it's way too deep for a v6.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

1. That trans is internal slave. Your trans is external. Doesn't really matter because you'd have to switch belhousings anyway, but still noteworthy.

2. That transmission has garbage, I will repeat, garbage gear ratios. It has very wide spaced gearing. IIRC it has the deep 1st gear (3.77) AND 3.94 FDR. Which is fine if you want to get a 4000lb van moving, which is what these transmissions were for. An export only Quad 4 van in Europe.

3. The mounting points are different on the case.

Basically, all that would be usefull to you are the syncros themselves, the diff, and some of the bearings and hardparts. Most of the gears are different, I believe only 3rd gear is the same, and because this is the 3.94 FDR the output shaft is useless to you as well. So if all you need are syncros, save yourself about $250 and buy the rebuild kit.

StevenJMcTowlie

3400beretta wrote: if all you need are syncros, save yourself about $250 and buy the rebuild kit.
I can't afford the downtime of rebuilding or I would. I was actually thinking of buying a JY tranny and doing a complete rebuild before I swapped it in. I had a 282 with a TG LS insert. Only had about 40,000 since rebuild, but I traded it for a turbo that I ended up selling anyway. Wish I kept that trans.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

I have seen Rodney's TG LSD in action.
What a POS if you are making any power.
What syncro is giving you a problem.
My Quad has a little bite issue on the 2-3 shift, but most of them do after a while.
Nothing I can't live with.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
speedy

Post by speedy »

where abouts are you from? i might be able to help with your problem.

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
StevenJMcTowlie

Asylum - I am having the most trouble with 1st gear. Unless I catch it while I roll to a stop I have to really force it into gear. This bothers me because I then have to sit through a red light or traffic with my foot on the clutch the whole time. Sometimes there is a little grind going from 2nd to 3rd. I only have these problems when the car is running, while it's off I can go smoothly from gear to gear. I cleaned and lubed the forks where the cables meet the trans just to be sure it wasn't just crud in the forks.

Speedy - I live in upstate NY about 15 north of Albany.

speedy

Post by speedy »

i have a trans from a 91 quad 4. for the right price, you could have it. i never used it, so i can not gurantee anything. afaik, the gearing is the same as the v6. but dont hold me to that either.

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

Sounds to me like your clutch isn't disengaging properly. Clutch fluid full? How old is the clutch? Try adjusting the pedal up, so that it travels more. At a full stop you should have NO problem getting into any gear even if your syncros are gonzo.

What oil do you have in the trans? You should have GM syncromesh. Its available at any GM or AC delco dealer. The latter will be cheaper of course. Some say that Quakerstate Syncromesh is the same, I can't say for sure, but if you want to go that route others have not had an issue.

Could also be a stretched shift or select cable. Most likely shift. But check the clutch first, and your oil first.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Pennzoil also makes a syncromesh.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yup, Pennzoil and Quaker State both make it. I go with GM just because I have heard it is better...nothing to prove it though. But for the small extra cost it's worth it to me. There is also a "friction modified" formula available which would probably be good for an LSD, but I can't find much for info about it.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

Pennzoil is Quaker State

StevenJMcTowlie

Okay, clutch age unknown. I said to my wife the other day it felt like the clutch wasnt fully disengaging. How do i bleed the clutch and how do i adjust the pedel? Trans fluid only a month old and is penzoil. When i changed the fluid there was almost no shavings in it. Also, does it matter what weight gear oil I use for the clutch ?

3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

Is it Pennzoil Syncromesh that you put in the trans? this is very important. Some guys think its okay to use gear oil, auto transmission oil, or even engine oil in these transmissions, and they will NOT shift properly with anything but syncromesh in there. Also, is the level completely full? Make sure it is.

Bleeding the clutch system is a pain in the rear. On your car I think the whole system (master and slave cylinders) have to be removed and bled on a bench. I am more familiar with the newer internal slave setups which have a bleed screw and are much easier to do. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

Also, you may or may not have an adjustment on your clutch pedal. My car does, but the master cylinder may have been replaced with an aftermarket unit at one point. The length of the rod that attaches the pedal to the master through the firewall is adjustable in length on my car. Check to see if you can adjust yours - its up under the steering column.

The clutch system requires DOT3 brake fluid - no oil should ever be put in it.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The external slave can be bled in-car. Unhook the rod from the pedal, then unhook the slave from the bellhousing and remove the cap and gasket on the reservoir. Angle the slave rod down and plunge it slowly. If it needs bleeding you will see bubbles coming out at the reservoir. Continue to do this slowly until you have no more bubbles. Reinstall and test.

My pedal does not have adjustment. And by rights a hydraulic clutch should not need to be adjusted anyway. Pedal height will be the only thing that changes by adjusting anyway. And if the system is bled properly it should fully disengage long before it hits the floor.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube