Removing Side Panel

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
krs

Removing Side Panel

Post by krs »

A while back I locked my keys in my 94 Beretta and a kind policeman unlocked the door for me.  In the process, he did some to the lock and now I can only open that door by jiggling the key several times.

I noticed the side panel that lets you access the handle, and when I opened it up I saw that the rod leading from the lock into the door was loose.  So, I attempted to remove the entire side of the door but it wouldn't budge.  I was afraid to pry on it too much as I don't want to break the mounts.

Has anyone removed this before?  I'd really like to get this fixed as the driver side door handle has already broken.

Oh, speaking of broken door handles, does anyone know of somewhere online that I can get a cheap driver side door handle?  I looked the part up on NAPA and it was $64 and I'd really like to get it cheap.

Jeff P

Removing Side Panel

Post by Jeff P »

Well, I can't tell you exactly how to remove the interior door panel on a '94 because I've never done it, but all years have screws in a few different positions on the panel, and plastic screws behind the panel to hold the edges in place.  The plastic bezel around the interior handle is held in by 2 Phillips screws and you have to pop off the plastic lock piece.  There should be a Torx screw angled upward behind the bezel.  After removing all the screws you find, you can pry the edges of the door panel up with a screwdriver, or better yet a trim removal tool (just look for the plastic screws and pry right beside them).

New door handles can be found for much cheaper on eBay, though I've never bought one so I can't attest to their quality.  They'll be even cheaper in a junkyard, of course.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi