My doorhandles BOTH broke off

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
I<3MyBeretta

Post by I<3MyBeretta »

So my driver side door handle broke off, the outside handle. I was opening it from the passenger side until last week when I went to open the passenger door and the handle (very easily) snapped off.

I bought the new handle for the driver's side, and I am not really sure how to get the old one off, I took the plastic panel off and I can't figure out how to get the two rods off.

Can anyone try and run me through it? I appreciate it if anyone has any advice.

Steve.
I<3MyBeretta

Post by I<3MyBeretta »

anyone? please  

Steve.
pudamobile

Post by pudamobile »

It would be interesting to hear about this, considering I have my door handle laying in my basement, and I'd go try to tackle it, but I don't need my car until spring and it's too darn cold outside for me to just go do it...

pudamobile
1990 Beretta GT 3.1
Cherrybomb glasspack
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

I have never had to experience this repair but several members have, so someone should know how to do it.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

I<3MyBeretta

Post by I<3MyBeretta »

Yeah, I hear it's a common problem with berettas, the handle opens from the top so its a lot of pressure onto that cheap metal, especially in the cold air of upstate NY.

but nonetheless I need to figure this out soon, this is my only vehicle and the snow in the backseat is really starting to bother me lol. (I had to smash the back quarter panel in order to get in - altho I wish now that I had smashed the passenger side window instead, its about $200 cheaper >

Steve.
Chazzman

Post by Chazzman »

While I've never broken one on my car, I have taken them off to paint the car. It's actually fairly simple.
Once you open the door you'll see a painted plastic cover held on with two or threes phillips screws, remove that.
Next there are a three nuts holding the handle to the door frame, remove those.
The handle ( which is the entire black panel running up along the window)should be loose now.
The lock cylinder should have a single bolt holding it in with a clamp. and the only other thing is to unclip the rod from the part where you pull to open the door.

Hope that helps a little....
Chazz O.  

'92 GT-Z 3.1L 5spd lot's of GO FAST stuff  
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

The plastic clip holding the lock rod should be rotated clockwise to remove the rod.  The metal clip holding the handle rod should be pried up just slightly on the right side to unlock it, and pushed to the left until it stops.  Pull out the rod, then slide the clip to the left and remove it completely.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi