Bleeding the hydraulic clutch line?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
92turbogtz

Post by 92turbogtz »

Long story short, I need to bleed the clutch hydraulics on my 92 GTZ.  According to my crappy Hanes manual, there is a bleed screw on the slave, but I don't see one.

Is it even possible to bleed the lines?

- 92 Beretta GTZ - 2.3L Turbocharged Quad4
- 78 Formula Sunbird - 350cu.in. / 4speed (awaiting restoration)
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

External style is 99.9% impossible to bleed and about 150.00USd at the dealer, the internal style is easier, but cost more if you should need to replace it for some reason.  Good luck...  

_________
-------------
NewNann

Post by NewNann »

Are you familiar with Bench Bleeding? You need to take the whole setup, resevior and all out and bench bleed it. Good luck with it, its a real fun job.

Off Topic, I like the Euro Z04 and Black wheel/white car thing. Looks good.

-Ryan          B Net Member #43..
2012 GTI
92turbogtz

Post by 92turbogtz »

(NewNann @ Feb. 11 2007,09:24)QUOTEAre you familiar with Bench Bleeding? You need to take the whole setup, resevior and all out and bench bleed it. Good luck with it, its a real fun job.

Off Topic, I like the Euro Z04 and Black wheel/white car thing. Looks good.
If it makes any difference, I have the external slave style...  Bench bleeding?  I'm not familiar with that and I gather it is a royal pain in the behind?  Could you elaborate what's involved to bench bleed this?

According to my local GM parts dealer, the master is discontinued and the slave is $250 Cdn!!!  ÂÂÂ

BTW, the wheels aren't black, I painted it metallic charcoal grey and polished the lip.

- 92 Beretta GTZ - 2.3L Turbocharged Quad4
- 78 Formula Sunbird - 350cu.in. / 4speed (awaiting restoration)
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I have had luck bench bleeding the system...  But I would rather have a new one.
Bench bleeding is when you take the unit out the car as a whole and fill it up with dot3...  Then you push the slave piston/rod in and out at a steady slow speed many times at a certain angle.  You would need to do this until all the air is out of the system and also add the fluid as needed during the process.  Goodluck with what you choose to do.

_________
-------------
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

The slave cylinders changed between years, but on my '88 the bleed screw is on top behind the line to the master...don't recall where it is for '92.  It's an allen head.  I was able to bleed mine in the car, it just took some time.  A slave cylinder will sometimes draw in air around the bleed screw (I had a brand new one do this) so watch for that, and mine, at least, didn't bleed any fluid unless I pumped the clutch pedal (which Haynes says not to do).

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

'87~'89 have a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder next to the hydraulic line.  '90~'92 have NO bleeder screw whatsoever.  '93~+ have a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder (line coming out of the trans) AND a bleeder on the master cylinder if it's not a 2.2.

I converted to the newer style setup and it's worlds better than the old stuff.

Cliff Scott
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

1992 is a changeover  year on the  hydraulics.   The parts stores carry the 1990-92   style in stock and its the same brand.  
Make sure  you put the cotter pin through split  in on the hydraulic line!!!  I  actually had one slip out on  my 90.

Bench bleeding is easiest way to bleed the 90-92999999 assembly.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
daguse5853z

Post by daguse5853z »

I have no problem bleeding my 90 external slave with no bleeder screw while it is in the car.  unbolt the slave, pump it on the subframe a few times until no air bubbles in the reservoir and then bolt it back up.  doesnt get any cleaner or easier than that.

95 Z26/3400/GETRAG/OBD2 swapped