Water Leaks in Car

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
davbell25413

Water Leaks in Car

Post by davbell25413 »

My car leaks water in the front driver and passenger side floor pan everytime in rains. Where would be leaking at? I know my dew strips are in bad shape with some areas missing the outside rubber. Windshield? firewall seal?

1994 Chevy Beretta Z26
3.1L
4T60E 4 speed automatic
16in aluminum factory wheels
zcylex

Re: Water Leaks in Car

Post by zcylex »

most likely the seals on the firewall... check here..
http://www.beretta.net/?page_id=54
this is a common issue on all of our berettas unfortunately

1988 Beretta GT 2.8L V6 - Yeah my Retta is a year older than me! :)
Work in Progress
davbell25413

Post by davbell25413 »

Ok, I'll try that first.

1994 Chevy Beretta Z26
3.1L
4T60E 4 speed automatic
16in aluminum factory wheels
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

2nd that, just redid mine for the second time. I swear some of the old seam sealer just falls out. Don't put any trust in the factory stuff and redo everything in the cowl area.

keep'em flying!
zcylex

Water Leaks in Car

Post by zcylex »

Im removing everything right now so i can seal and paint the engine bay :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work in Progress
themadness

Post by themadness »

the seams are really weak once they get old. my 94 was letting water in on the fire wall and it couldnt be traced to the engine bay. i eventually, went under the dash, pulled away all the noise buffering material, did ALOT of , scraping, cleaning and drying. i followed a rusty water stain trail all the way up the wall on the inside of the car. did a thorough silicone job, let it dry, and did plumbers putty over that. yes i know that isnt the proper way to fix the issue but it worked for me. i have since sold the car but as far as i know it still doesnt leak. i put all that down because after all the reading i did when working on it a couple years ago, none of the solutions EXCEPT for breaking everything down and professionally redoing the seals, fit my particular situation. it takes alot of time, trial and error, and investigation to find the source and rectify the leak.

if you have the resources though......break it down and do it right.

zcylex

Water Leaks in Car

Post by zcylex »

Well i have a hint of where the water could be coming from on my passenger side since i found all the rust to be on where the wiring harness for the ecm goes in, however i have still to find my drivers side leak lol and yeah, take everything dash and firewall related out. So i can properly seal all of it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Work in Progress
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Typically, you can access the leaky seams from pulling back the carpet and jute-backing and just reaching under the dash. It probably isn't necessary to pull the dash itself out, unless you are too big to fit underneath it. Of the five I've had, only my '90 Yellow Indy has had the dreaded firewall leak yet. Yet. Yet. :roll:

I welded mine up in the worst areas, particularly because I actually had a crack or two forming in the sheet-metal, but a good-grade silicon or roof-flashing adhesive like Dap makes is sufficient to seal it up -I personally like the idea of Butyl Tape, because it stays flexible and tacky for decades. I did a small write-up about my repair on here last year...

Good luck people.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26