90 berretta gas tank

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
ofblong

90 berretta gas tank

Post by ofblong »

I have a 1990 Berretta Indy 3.1 that I am in need of a gas tank. I found 2 brand new ones for $450 and 1 used one for $85 that's a total of 4 hours of driving to get (so $250 when time and gas are added) but it is also plastic and I have found no straps for it (they broke causing gas tank to hit exhaust and melt).

I found a ton of 87-89 gas tanks that are steal (and straps) for $150 after shipping brand new. Will this work on the 90? I guess I am hoping the only difference is that one is steal and the newer one is plastic.

1988GTU

Re: 90 berretta gas tank

Post by 1988GTU »

Analog gauge sending unit and a steel tank would be my choice. You'd need to have the flex lines adapted to your vehicle's hard lines. I recall that you could use a fuel filter that would "allow" the interchanged swap, but it has been years since I've dealt with that. With how easily available fitting adapters are these days, you might just need a set of fittings to do it without hacking or customizing lines.
Difference from a steel tank vs plastic is capacity.
Steel holds less. Benefit of using the steel tank is it'll allow for a more "tucked" exhaust system.

_________
-------------
ofblong

Re: 90 berretta gas tank

Post by ofblong »

Thanks that's what I was hoping for. I did find a used plastic one for $25 so may go that route. This car is going to be my sons when he turns 16 here in a few short months. Paid $250 for it plus I figure another $300 or so in parts (needs a tune up as its missing one cylinder).