"green" motor oil

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
themadness

"green" motor oil

Post by themadness »

my wife has a coupon for this stuff to get either cheap or free(she's a couponer)

http://www.getg.com/engineOil/conventional.php

she said she would get it if i wanted it but i dont want her to bother if its junk. i wanted to get you guys' opinion first.....

themixer

Re: "green" motor oil

Post by themixer »

if i cant take it out of my car and toss it on the lawn its not biodegradable, so i say just buy some normal oil

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

themixer wrote:if i cant take it out of my car and toss it on the lawn its not biodegradable, so i say just buy some normal oil
I beg to differ on that one...

Also this stuff is race tested according to some ad's I've seen... But they will tell you anything to get you to buy it.

I'd be willing to try it, but maybe not in my turbo'd Subaru... those are very picky on oil... I'd test it in the Beretta to see how it does. I used conventional half recycled oil to break in Roberts engine and I saw no issues with that.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

My only experience is with valvoline next gen. And I wouldn't put that stuff in my lawn mower.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

autoteck wrote:My only experience is with valvoline next gen. And I wouldn't put that stuff in my lawn mower.
Well don't shoot something down without a valid explanation as to why, then it just sounds like you really don't have an experience and could be just taking sides. The very critical Bob is the oil guy website doesn't even have anything against NextGen...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

3X00-Modified wrote:
autoteck wrote:My only experience is with valvoline next gen. And I wouldn't put that stuff in my lawn mower.
Well don't shoot something down without a valid explanation as to why, then it just sounds like you really don't have an experience and could be just taking sides. The very critical Bob is the oil guy website doesn't even have anything against NextGen...

To be honest all motor oils have to pass specific tests before they goto market. So really there is no bad oils out there, but we all know the difference between a passing grade and 100. Lets just say I've seen the results of just passing motor oils. If someone did have a coupon or were able to get the oil at a discount I would use it strictly as a flush oil after a head gasket job or something of that nature.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

3X00-Modified wrote:Ok, no valid info so I'll just take that statement as a grain of salt.

Here's some actual tests.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/ValvolineNextGen.htm

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011page2.html

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html

Based on the info posted pay close attention to the low TBN (Total base number) of the oils reserve alkalinity. The high NOACK is a good indicator of its oil consumption (Hint: high number is not good). You can also look at the Centistokes numbers @ 100 C and 40C(Should be in the lower range).

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The TBN is the same as Valvoline conventional, .2 lower than Castrol GTX and Sunoco ultra.
The NOACK is lower than Havoline and Shell, as well as very close to Penzoil Quaker State and Sunoco.
And the Centistokes at 100c and 40c are very close to many of the others as well...

I'm really missing how this oil is on the complete fine line of failure in comparison to others...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"