54956 - Transmissions ahoy!

List a Beretta Item for sale
Travelor
Global Moderator

54956 - Transmissions ahoy!

Post by Travelor »

I have a couple nice deals in Wisconsin.

First up I have a 4 speed auto transmission from a 90/91 TGP. 160k miles. Here is the thing, I bought it already separated from the motor so I have not had a way to verify it other than what the previous owner told me. (No problems, was just pulled with the turbo motor)
I had the thought of using it to replace the crappy 3speed trans that we all love in a nice old GT but I have too much going on. I'm asking $100, and I'm willing to deliver within 100-150 miles of central Wisconsin.

Second. I have a hard to find Z34 5speed transmission with 150k on the clock. I bought this to swap my GTU over but I am putting that on hold for now due to space and time constraints. Everything works as mechanically as you can tell without being attached to a running motor. All the gears move smoothly from one to the next.
I'm asking $500 for this transmission and again I'm willing to deliver to within 100-150 miles of central Wisconsin.

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
ronaconda

Re: 54956 - Transmissions ahoy!

Post by ronaconda »

Dammit!!! I've been wanting a TGP trans for a while!!!

88gtz

Post by 88gtz »

Ronconda are you going to come get the tgp trans I gave you, it only has 67xxx. Let me know

91 GMC Syclone
88 GTU 330k
89 GTU 5 speed
93 GTZ quaser quad
93 GT Garnet 5 speed
01 2500 HD
77 K-10
64 El Camino Ls1-T56
94 Z26 (parts car) rust belt rust bucket
ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

88gtz wrote:Ronconda are you going to come get the tgp trans I gave you, it only has 67xxx. Let me know
Geeze...I totally spaced this. I'm in need of a road trip...

themixer

Post by themixer »

does anyone have information of this swap ? I would be very interested in it

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Send that 5-speed to Jon for his Indy!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Z34 so it a 284 though right? Whats different between that and the 282 mount, and shift cable wise?

I also can't justify $500 on a manual right now... Honestly yeah I'd love for it to be a manual but I don't know if I want to deal with swapping it, Or paying for it this winter.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

3X00-Modified wrote:Z34 so it a 284 though right? Whats different between that and the 282 mount, and shift cable wise?

I also can't justify $500 on a manual right now... Honestly yeah I'd love for it to be a manual but I don't know if I want to deal with swapping it, Or paying for it this winter.

I'm not 100% sure. I know the casing is smaller and thats partly why it is/was the transmission to use in swapping to a 3800 in Fieros. I think the mounts are close, otherwise I don't think Cliff would keep pushing me to use it. I only have him on my shoulder with devil horns, never an angel..
ronaconda wrote:Dammit!!! I've been wanting a TGP trans for a while!!!
Heres your chance?

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Umm, the 284 has a slightly LARGER case than the 282, and weighs a bit more too. I don't recall what the shift-cables are like, but the CVs are completely different as is the jack-shaft, and let us not forget about the almost-impossible-to-find pull-type clutch that costs like $250 for a stock version... Yes, I have a 284 sitting waiting for the right project... The reason the Fieros liked them is that they are slightly stronger than the 282s, and have an ever-so-slightly taller gearing (better highway gearing) IIRC. Fieros also have a much larger engine-bay than Berettas do, and so do not care about tranny size as much... Yes, I have a Fiero also, waiting for the right project blahblahblah... Either way, it is a cheaper, easier, (and physically smaller trans) than the F40 six-speed swap.
284s are VERY rare, but not necessarily the golden-chalice some people think they are.  It takes special equipment to rebuild these things, so even if you have the ability to rebuild a 282, the 284 cannot be done 'at home'.  Parts are hard or impossible to find, and even the clutch is hard to track down, so plan on something custom with the appropriate price-tag.
284s are VERY rare, but not necessarily the golden-chalice some people think they are. It takes special equipment to rebuild these things, so even if you have the ability to rebuild a 282, the 284 cannot be done 'at home'. Parts are hard or impossible to find, and even the clutch is hard to track down, so plan on something custom with the appropriate price-tag.
Input and output shafts are WAY bigger than the 282 though, so there is something to the thoughts that these are a stronger trans.  Still, the 282s don't tend to break easily, even the Fiero crowd has had good longevity with them next to mildly built SBCs...
Input and output shafts are WAY bigger than the 282 though, so there is something to the thoughts that these are a stronger trans. Still, the 282s don't tend to break easily, even the Fiero crowd has had good longevity with them next to mildly built SBCs...
The 284 clutch is a pull-type diaphragm, like the one used in the T-56 six-speed trans used in some 'Vettes and fourth-gen F-bodies.  Rare, okay, really RARE.  No other tranny used this thing either, so you cannot find it for another application.
The 284 clutch is a pull-type diaphragm, like the one used in the T-56 six-speed trans used in some 'Vettes and fourth-gen F-bodies. Rare, okay, really RARE. No other tranny used this thing either, so you cannot find it for another application.
Mine has less miles than Travelor's, and has been rebuilt already.  I would buy another in a heartbeat though, if I already knew exactly what it would entail to drop one into a Beretta.  I still have a 3.4 TDC waiting for my Z-26 (or possibly the Fiero GT), but would love to have another one.  Mine was sourced from a Grand Prix GT of the same era.  The 284 ONLY came with the 3.4 TDC (Twin Dual Cam) engine, which ONLY came in W-bodies, and ONLY for a few years.  There were only a couple thousand of them built.  The exception was the Chrysler TC model that had them as an option for a year or two, but they were also very rare and obviously used a different bellhousing.
Mine has less miles than Travelor's, and has been rebuilt already. I would buy another in a heartbeat though, if I already knew exactly what it would entail to drop one into a Beretta. I still have a 3.4 TDC waiting for my Z-26 (or possibly the Fiero GT), but would love to have another one. Mine was sourced from a Grand Prix GT of the same era. The 284 ONLY came with the 3.4 TDC (Twin Dual Cam) engine, which ONLY came in W-bodies, and ONLY for a few years. There were only a couple thousand of them built. The exception was the Chrysler TC model that had them as an option for a year or two, but they were also very rare and obviously used a different bellhousing.
This is my Fiero.  Not a big deal unless you like them, and this isn't the site for this car, but here it is since I mentioned it.  Crappy photo, sorry.
This is my Fiero. Not a big deal unless you like them, and this isn't the site for this car, but here it is since I mentioned it. Crappy photo, sorry.
If you just want to 5-speed swap your Beretta, this is NOT the way to go, sorry. If you need a stronger trans, or if you want something really unique, this is a rare opportunity on this option. I doubt there are two other Berettas out there with 284s in them. Someone please show me I'm wrong on this, but I don't think this was really done, and it won't really become popular now. Now, you can get an F40, or some of the other easily-obtained newer 5-speed trannies that use more common clutches and direct bolt-in CVs. But also consider the gearing in the 284 -IIRC the first couple of gears were lower -which means a quicker jump off the line- because the 3.4 TDC had a significantly higher red-line than its' pushrod cousins. The taller highway gearing in fifth is awesome if you don't want the utter nightmare of swapping in an F40, or can't get an F40 with the right gearing (the issue that the other F40-equipped Beretta here has -sorry Shawn :oops: ).

Pics and some more details, like if you have the CVs to work with as a start for custom fabrication of ones that will fit a Beretta, and if you have the clutch components, cables, hydraulics, etc might help with that price-tag too. Good luck with the sale.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26