1989 Red GTU - 2.8L 5 Speed - Tan interior!

List a Beretta Item for sale
Styluss
Global Moderator

1989 Red GTU - 2.8L 5 Speed - Tan interior!

Post by Styluss »

For Sale: Red 1989 Chevrolet Beretta GTU
2.8L V6 engine and 5-speed transmission with only 126,500 miles on it
Asking $1300

This is a 1989 Chevy Beretta GTU. This car was made to recognize Chevy's entry of the Beretta into the Gran Touring Race Series events. Only made in 1988 and 1989, this is a rarer model Beretta. This particular model is even more rare as it has tan interior and a 5-speed transmission. The car has a 2.8L V-6 engine with only 126,500 miles on it. Although that may seem a bit high, that is over 133,000 miles less than the national average for a car this age! The engine and transmission are very strong. The car is surprisingly quick for its age. This motor is regarded as one of Chevy's strongest, most reliable engines. The GTU also has an upgraded suspension package. This car corners very well and is a blast to drive! The car is also great on gas mileage. I have been getting an average of 24 MPG and more in mixed driving scenarios. The car is near 30 MPG on the highway. The heat blows hot and the AC blows cold.

The interior needs a little help. Most of it is in great conditiion for a 20 year old car, but there are some small issues. The driver's side door panel vinyl is peeling up, an easy fix. The headliner has a small tear in it as well. There is no stereo in the car but there is an aftermarket stereo facia installed which will house an aftermarket radio or CD player perfectly. There are no rear speakers, but I can include new dash speakers and rear speakers with the car if the buyer would like. The seats are in good condition, just a little sun-worn. All buttons, switches, seat adjustments, etc. work perfectly. This car has the digital dash option. A wonderful extra installed at the factory. The dashboard itself is cracking a bit, but is not horrible for a 20 year old car. A custom Dash Mat is only about $30 and will hide any and all dash imperfections. The interior has recently been cleaned as well as all windows. The red exterior paint and the tan interior is really a knock out combination if you ask me.

The exterior is also a little beat up, but there are no dents, dings or damage to the outside. The only major flaw would be the paint. The clearcoat is peeling up on the hood, roof and trunk lid. All of the original GTU decals are still on the car. The original body kit is complete but has some damage to it. The front lip (the hardest part to find for this car) is present but has some cracks in it. The driver's side skirt is also slightly damaged. However, both pieces are securely mounted to the car. The windshield is craked pretty bad and will need replaced. The original factory wheels are in excellent condition! There are also brand new tires on the car. Plus, a full size extra tire in addition to the spare tire. There are new brakes both front and rear as well. This car will need an alignment soon. The left turn signal does not work, I'm not sure what it needs for repair.

Mechanically, this car is solid. It just passed emissions with flying colors in March. The oil was just changed and the engine and tranny have had a good once over inspection and cleaning. The transmission shifts just fine and the engine runs strong. This car has plenty of pep and lots of pull on the mountain passes. The only real issues with the car are purely cosmetic. This would make a great car for a first time driver or an excellent second car for a current car owner. With a little TLC cosmetically, this will be one sharp, solid running automobile.

Here is all of the nitty gritty on the factory options and extras:

Factory Specifications:
- 1989 Chevy Beretta GTU
- 2.8L Multiport fuel injection V-6 engine, 126,500 miles
- 5-Speed transmission
- VIN: 1G1LW14W9KY180804

Factory Installed Options:
- Digital dash:
* Odometer
* Trip odometer
* Tachometer
* Outside temperature
* MPG averages and instant calculations
* Tells you how much father you can dive on what gas you have left!
* Ability to switch from English to Metric
- Overhead console with map lights
- Air conditioning (blows cold)
- Rear defrost
- Power windows
- Power locks
- Power steering
- Tilt steering
- Cruise control
- Interior trunk release switch
- Trunk light
- 60/40 split fold down rear seats
- GTU body kit
- Larger GTU side mirrors
- Upgraded GTU suspension

Extras and upgrades:
- All red turn signals for a cleaner look
- Upgraded rear filler panels
- K&N filter installed
- New tires with an extra tire included
- New brakes, front and rear
- New spark plugs and wires
- New battery
- New throttle position sensor
- New idle air control valve
- Clean engine bay, no leaks
- Chilton repair manual included

Below is a list of items I can either sell to you with the car, or install myself. These items will come with an extra cost added onto the purchase price. This extra cost will be determined by what the buyer chooses to purchase or have installed on the car. These upgrades will be sold at a very low price as a package deal with the car.

Optional extras/upgrades (additional costs):
- Custom cold air intake (new)
- Roller rockers (I cannot install)
- Shifter rebuild kit (new)
- Transmission selector arm rebuild kit (new)
- Strut bar
- Le bra hood cover
- Tinted tail lights
- Tinted side markers / 3rd brake light
- Upgraded speakers front and rear
- Amplifier for rear speakers (I cannot install)

The list of the bad:
- Cracked windshield
- No stereo (and the stock wiring clip was cut off)
- Interior issues:
* Peeling vinyl on drivers door (NOT that bad!)
* Small cig burn on driver door arm rest
* Warped dash
* Tear in drivers seat (not bad)
* Visors have saggy flaps
* Has a black console lid
* Small tear in headliner (easily fixed)
- Cooling fan is on a switch, and only works on the switch (I think it just needs to be re-connected)
- Tint is bubbling, drivers window has no tint
- Small piece of drivers side skirt is cracked off (the very back, bottom of the side skirt)
- 2 decent sized cracks in the front lip
- Front bumper is a bit crooked
- Needs an alignment
- Needs a muffler
- Has plenty of GM paint disease, only really on the top surfaces of the car

**This car has been in a front end accident. The hood, passenger fender, headlight and all of the radiator support are from the junkyard. It seems to me that the car has been reapired well. However, I am no mechanic. The car needs an alignment, but I dont think it has anything to do with bent subframes or damage from the accident.**

There are a bunch of pics of the car's faults, as well as documentation of the work I have done to the car here: http://bstuff.com/index.php?showtopic=60177

I also have a web page with many more photos of the car. It can be viewed here: http://www.StylussCustoms.com/forsale.html

I have disclosed EVERY issue with this car. If I think of anything else, I WILL let an interested buyer know, as well as update this thread. I would LOVE for this car to go to someone that will love and care for it. I simply cannot own three cars and the new Indy I just bought is a better fit for me right now. I am asking $1300 which yes, is $100 more than I paid for the car. But I put some work into it including an oil change and more. I would really just like to get my money back on this one and get it in the hands of the community.

Please feel free to contact me, Ryan, at: 303-669-0698 or at Stylusskid@msn.com with any questions or for more specific pictures.

I will also be willing to deliver the car up to 500 miles for a small fee. Pretty much gas costs and that's it. I will go even further for gas AND hotel costs.

Styluss
Global Moderator

Re: 1989 Red GTU - 2.8L 5 Speed - Tan interior!

Post by Styluss »

BUMP... I still have this car...

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car