3.1 L BRAND NEW throttle body

List a Beretta Item for sale
beretta

3.1 L BRAND NEW throttle body

Post by beretta »

thought someone might be interested in this.. i just finished porting and polishing a spare one i had so really dont need a new one, but its a very good price if someone needs it or even just to have it sitting around. its complete with the sensors and such too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-Lu ... 0361457347

SuzukiGhostRider

Re: 3.1 L BRAND NEW throttle body

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Wow, someone needs to snap that up. The brand new TPS and IAC sensors alone are $75 for both new. They alone are worth the asking price. GLWTS.

scannerman

Post by scannerman »

i'm surprised it comes with the sensors attached

2009 Cobalt SS LNF
1995 Z26 3100 auto <--- Totalled
1989 base 2.8 auto <-- Sold
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

And there are 2 of them. I don't need one, but somebody should pick one or both up.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

beretta

Post by beretta »

ive contacted the member twice about shipping but have not herd back yet or i would have already snagged 1. dont really need it but its brand new and probably hard to find a OEM brand new in the box.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The shipping is priced out in the auction... its automatic. Its showing 12.88 shipping costs for me, that may be why he's not replying to you since its already in the auction.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

$12.88 shipping for me too...

beretta

Post by beretta »

got a reply 16.00 i think. to Canada

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I would like to see your work on the TB. Feel free to PM a pic.

keep'em flying!
beretta

Post by beretta »

ive just been using an electric dremel with some sanding and grinding disks, takes a while... going to take it to the shop and use the air dremel on it to get a bit more off it.

The one on my car now i ported it slightly on the inlet side and polished it up, not sure if it made much difference but it makes me feel better to know its polished up lol, and it looks good and shinny.

The one on my car i was afraid of grinding too much and wrecking it so i only done a little grinding to it, i picked up a spare one and i have done way more to it and its coming along good. I want to get a spare top intake and bore out the opening on it where the throttle body bolts so i can bore out the back side of the throttle body as well and see if that makes a difference..

As im doing all this, i think to get the most out of it i need to find another flap thats slightly larger to get more air flow, i think theres room to go 2 to 4 MM larger in the center. not sure what kind of difference that would make. but with it polished up and nice and smooth and shinny the air should flow a little better.

Also when im finished with this one, i will have a knife edge on the opening that should help a little with air flow. i left it flat for now so i can see how much material i have there to grind away.

Theres a lip in the center where the flap is and i also grinded that down and made it smooth all the way through. but i didnt touch the center because the flap would not close all the way if i did, thats why i want to find a slightly larger flap so i can make it a little bigger there..

I am no PRO at this lol, i just like to tinker and see what i can do, and so far its not going to bad. the only on my car now works fine and i only have the stock air box so i dont notice any difference with it and i also didnt go as far with it as i have with this other 1....

What throttle body is it some people put on the 3.1 and use an adapter plate for it, i have a throttle body from a 3100 and 3400 engine but i dont think they are any larger inside.. i could be wrong... that might be a better starting point other then the stock throttle body... but this doesnt cost me anything other then some time which i have lots of right now being laid off for the winter lol. and gives me something to do.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad35 ... C02085.jpg

Money pit Beretta

Really a smooth surface does help. Surface tension will always be there, but you can lower it to a small amount buy doing just that. From what I've found there is alot of bad casting in GM TBs. Air flow gains are small when polishing, but the throttle responce can be felt(do to more velocity).
MRZ makes ported TB's if you would like to buy one. It is going to be a bit hard to do yourself. I more than understand what you said about the fear of screwing up the flow. I started first polishing only(test TB was on the car), then moved on to hand sanding and polishing(JY TB). I'd go for 4mm on the porting. As for making the TB bigger on the body and matching the intake I'm not sure. The TB is the main choke point on the intake system(other than the crap stock intake tube). A venturi effect would be nice, but hard to do if you can't take much off the TB without making it too thin. Just remember to try and keep the velocity up as much as you can. I think you and I could talk about this all day, so I'm just going for an overview.
Yes, take the outside lip down(very front of the TB). I fear cutting my coupler for my CAI so I won't knife edge. I would leave some there and taper the rest. Also I will add that you can knife edge the throttle plate(do to fear of sticking I haven't done it).
You were smart in not taking anything out where the plate is. That would let more air in at idle.
Your work looks nice man. Stay away from the 3100/3400 TB's. They are very poor in design. Also the linkage is on the other side. The best TB out there is the TCE, but again the linkage is not on the same side as yours.
This is the TCE and what a real TB should look like:
http://wot-tech.com/shop/all/62mm-bille ... od_23.html
As you can see it has a good taper into the bore.
By the way I have a TCE TB for my 3100 with 3400 intakes. No the 3.1 and the 3100 are not the same.

keep'em flying!
beretta

Post by beretta »

that looks sexy but expensive LOL, dremel bits are much cheaper. but then that one is round not oval and probably does its job alot better

beretta

Post by beretta »

i found a 3100 throttle body i had laying around today, the throttle plate is the exact same size as the 3.1 L. maybe the 3400 throttle plate is slightly larger ? im going to see if i can find the other 1 i know i kept the throttle bodies from the tops ends i had.

Looking at the 3100 throttle body though.. its still oval shaped but the port in the opening for the idle and vacuum is different instead of having a big opening port kind of on the 1 side its just a small hole and is smooth all the way though without that lip sticking out on the 1 side. i think that would flow much better then the 3.1 L one.

As for the throttle cable, id just go get one off a 3100 car at the wreckers, but wait.... umm the 3.1 throttle body has a plate on the top where vacuum lines hook to.. id have to go check but i dont think the 3100 has that......

i still think if you could get a larger throttle plate you could take 2 to 4 mm off in the center and make it that much bigger, you would have to be careful near the top inside just behind where the throttle plate closes theres 2 little holes i guess for the idle but you can look through there and see the thickness of the material so you dont go too far.. its about as thick there as the throttle plate is wide so you got roughly 3 MM of material there. if you took 2 MM off all the way around that would give you 4 MM total bigger.

I read somewhere online that mild porting and polishing the throttle body on some random car showed 4 or 5 HP increase on the dyno so if you could get another 4 MM out of it you might get 5 to 10 HP. and also maybe an aftermarket air box/filter

If you own a dremel your already ahead and it cost you nothing to do this other then a few bits and i buy them where they are on sale a assortment of like 100 bits for 10.00.

Ive just been bored the last couple days with nothing to do so decided to see what i could do with this. i bought a 3.1 factory turbo engine but havent picked it up yet so when i get that i wont need a ported throttle body anyways with the turbo forcing air in, but at least a polished one maybe.

It would be cool to do a few different ways, grab a few intakes from the junk yard and various throttle bodies and do different things to each one and have it put on a dyno and you could see what way works better...

I need to find a friend with a dyno so it wont cost nothing LOL

Money pit Beretta

The 3400 is bigger. Your TB will flow better than both the 3100 and 3400 if you port it. A straight wall(as I call it) is much better than the poor design of the 3100/3400. They are restrictive to flow and hurt velocity. They do make more pressure, but that is not what you want. The 3100 doesn't have the vac port. And I don't think it will bolt up.
Go for it on the porting. Use the 3400 plate as you said. Not sure on the HP gain, I have read that a gain of 2cfm will make 5hp on a small V8. So your gains will not be large. Not even going to take a guess at the CFM gain.
Yeah I had stuff sitting around and thought the samething. It was a free (more or less) mod.
Your turbo would like that ported TB. Also your idle air port would be great for that.
Really a intake swap would be the best(the 3X00 hybrid), but that takes alot of work from what I have read. There was a site for it, but I don't know if it's still up. The TCE bolts up on the hybrid. Yes the price is kind of high, but you will not beat the flow.

Also MRZ makes a ported TB for your stock intake. At close to 300 bucks it's out of reach. It would be 60-62mm though.

Yes a good tubed intake would be much better than stock, but you won't be able to use it with the turbo. That will need its own system.
What computer are you going to use?

keep'em flying!
beretta

Post by beretta »

I thought about changing my top end with a 3100 or 3400 since i had complete top ends for the swap, but the 3400 had a blow head gasket and the 2nd one so the head was probably warped and over heated so i ended up scraping the heads and intakes.

And the idea of the 3.1 factory turbo motor to me is that our cars are getting rare and mine is rust free and really good shape and i want something different, lots of people slap in the 3400 and call it a day or even turbo the 3400. but there is all kinds of 3400 engines out there. there was only 7500 of the 3.1 turbo produced.

And i wanted the stock look of the engine the top intake manifold is stamped with 3.1 L intercooled turbo.

Im getting the TGP grand prix ECM with a top gun chip but not sure if it will plug into my car or not.. either way if i use that ecm or my stock ecm i will have to take it to a shop to have it tuned regardless.

Im defiantly putting a bigger turbo on then the stock one, and now im thinking about a hybrid turbo with a smaller housing (exhaust side) and larger compressor, so it will spool fast but have more boost in the top end still. i think 15-20 psi will be my goal for an every day driver and that should give it some snot when i want to hammer on it.

And i think i need 5.0 L mustang yellow top injectors to match my setup. I know nothing about turbos at all LOL other then they give you a ton more torque and hp and they sound cool LOL and i know i want one. so on the build of the engine i will learn as i go. but i will for sure be taking it to a shop to have it turned properly.

with the engine, im getting... the complete engine, stock t25 turbo (needs rebuild) wire harness, ecm, intercooler, probably some piping and he said he has some other things to go with it that i might need or not need. i have only seen pictures of it, and sent a deposit for it and im trusting the guy to hold onto it until i can get there to pick it up. i need my passport .. just a matter of actually getting in and filling out the paper work.