US body hood

List any Item for a Beretta that you want to purchase
Tylerlp

Re: US body hood

Post by Tylerlp »

bleh...i like the look of the us body hood...no body lines in it and a nice smooth cowl. i dont think i can get that look by welding on a universal cowl. on top of that i hate hood pins!!

Alpinestar10

Post by Alpinestar10 »

Oh yeah you could graft it to your hood some rivets and bondo and you'd be good. too bad you guys didnt get stock fiberglass hoods to begin with

timgerman

Post by timgerman »

does the us fiberglass hood fit right (the fender lines)? i am interested in one of these too.

'95 Z26 Black
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It will line up, but the one issue with the US body one is the hood sits a bit higher than the fenders, maybe an 1/8th inch or something.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
timgerman

Post by timgerman »

on their web site they guarantee it to fit the fender lines. i wonder why when they make fiberglass hoods hey just cant make it work right.

'95 Z26 Black
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Jon knows exactly why.

Fiberglass has issues being strong enough in the hinge section without making it a bit thicker, so it causes the hood to sit a bit higher as a result. At least that is what I recall from those that have used this hood. Its a sharp enough looking hood though.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

speedy

Post by speedy »

i had one on my white gtz. was a fiberglass hood. went with the car, the moron totalled the car 2 weeks later...

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

timgerman wrote:on their web site they guarantee it to fit the fender lines. i wonder why when they make fiberglass hoods hey just cant make it work right.
Your also stating two different things... yes if fits the "LINES" meaning the width of the fenders or allocation for the hood just fine, but that can also be adjusted by a body guy if they don't line up equally. They do not state that it's flush with the fenders edge and I can assure you it's not. If you get it prepped good and remember to paint the edge the lip does not show as much as you would think.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
daguse5853z

Post by daguse5853z »

slinky found it in my for sale thread on this forum. He got a free modded hood latch out of the deal too

timgerman

Post by timgerman »

if it doesnt fit right (and flush) its definitely not worth $500 to me. oh well, im not interested in one of these anymore, i thought they made them better than that :(

'95 Z26 Black
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Agreed it's not worth the 500 for the fit you get, but you'll never find a fiberglass part that fits with steel parts perfectly unless you spend the time to make it yourself. That's just the joy of dealing with aftermarket companies and fiberglass components, It's never quite right.

The only thing you could do is cut up a stock hood, lift it 1"-1 1/2" and then fab and weld in sheet metal to make the cowl edges, then you'll have a steel cowl hood that fits like stock since it is stock.

Molding a Fiberglass cowl to a steel hood is just a bad idea that's why I suggest doing it out of steel.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

You can also buy weld-on steel cowls. I thought about that when doing my car originally.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

woody90gtz wrote:You can also buy weld-on steel cowls. I thought about that when doing my car originally.
Didn't think about that,

But here is a really good walk through on how to do a custom cowl hood from the stock parts.

http://www.jefflilly.com/fabrication/cowl-hood/

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
timgerman

Post by timgerman »

thats a great walk through but unfortunately i have never welded or fabricated metal. shame someone doesnt offer one already done like this (completely out of steel) for sale on here. I have a suggestion...

'95 Z26 Black
Robert 89gt

Post by Robert 89gt »

If you buy a cowl hood for every beretta you have. You'd be in the poor house Tyler. Which car are you planning on putting it on? I wanted one a year ago. But agree with my wife they look dated on the car.