Amp problems now....

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
31beretta

Amp problems now....

Post by 31beretta »

Hey guys, I posted before about my friends subs not playing right, well we redid the wiring and went to try it, but now when the cd player turns on, the amp turns on for like a minute, then shuts off and the protection light comes on (amp doesn't actually turn off, it turns off the bass control and goes to protection mode). When we unhooked the subs from the amp, the amp stayed on like it should, but as soon as the subs were hooked back in, the amp would go to protection mode and not turn on the subs. What could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S. If you need any more info, let me know.

wil_wil2

Amp problems now....

Post by wil_wil2 »

Sounds like you are somehow overloading the circuit board.  What kind of amp(make/model/channels/wattage/ect)

BerettaLove32

Amp problems now....

Post by BerettaLove32 »

Overloading the circuit board?!?! Check the ground and make sure it's bolted down tight and on a good flat, paint free surface. Then recheck your wiring to the subs. Make sure it's an Ohms load that amp can handle.  And then make sure one of the subs isn't blown. But I'll put my money on it being the ground wire. No need for make and models of the amp either...

31beretta

Amp problems now....

Post by 31beretta »

alright, i'll have to give it a go over tomorrow or this weekend and get back to ya. thanks for the replies

94beretta

Amp problems now....

Post by 94beretta »

I'd have to agree with BerettaLove32 with the ground, had a similiar probably when I upgraded amps,blew 2 out of 3 of my 3 year old subs,push the cone down a little and see if it makes any rubbing sounds

1994 Beretta
1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic 5.0
1990 Beretta (T-boned)
31beretta

Amp problems now....

Post by 31beretta »

will the sound be loud enough to tell for sure, or something i'd really have to listen for? what I get from what your saying is, maybe the subs blew and are triggering the amp to shut off? or do I have the wrong idea? thanks again

wil_wil2

Amp problems now....

Post by wil_wil2 »

If the sub is blown you will be able to feel it when pushing on the cone.
When the amp cuts out the bass control, is it abnormally warm to touch?

wil_wil2

Amp problems now....

Post by wil_wil2 »

Is your amp a Kenwood, or a Alpine V12.  Because they are notorious for over loading the circuit board, when using improper/unmatched impediance.

31beretta

Amp problems now....

Post by 31beretta »

it's my friend's amp, but it's a pyramid I believe, 1,500 watts. I can't check if it's warm because he told me he took the subs  and amp off the box so he can get a new box, so i'll find out when he gets the new box. I don't think it was warm, but i'd rather double check anyways. I personally want 2 of my own subs instead of using his, but I can't find the ones I want.

BerettaLove32

Amp problems now....

Post by BerettaLove32 »

That's your first problem, running a pyramid amp. It's not 1500 watts like they claim, probably 200 at the most. I know those things can't support any lower than 4 ohms. I'd start with a new amp. You can check the subs with a multi meter to see if one of them is fried.

31beretta

Amp problems now....

Post by 31beretta »

Alright, he's gonna get a new box so i'll tell him to check up on getting another amp too. Any recommendations on good and fairly cheap amps?