What size bulbs and sockets for digital dash?

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
Cam2363

What size bulbs and sockets for digital dash?

Post by Cam2363 »

I just got a digital dash but there were no bulbs on the bottom used for illumination. Anybody know what size sockets and bulbs are needed?

Rettax3

Re: What size bulbs and sockets for digital dash?

Post by Rettax3 »

Of the several I have, I found two different sizes, probably depending on the year ('90 was the last year they were available in Berettas, so not a long use anyway). The far more common one uses the standard 194-type bulb (this is a "T-10" base) with the standard GM "PCB", or Panel Circuit Board socket. These are regularly available online or in typical parts-stores. The other type I have only seen I think twice, it is a much smaller bulb and smaller twist-in PCB socket. I THINK these are the same ones GM uses as their alternative bulbs, also commonly available. Basically, assuming you have no sockets either, if a 194 bulb would fall through it, then you almost certainly have the common type -just buy some PCB194s (also called PC194) or look for an LED drop-in alternative.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:Of the several I have, I found two different sizes, probably depending on the year ('90 was the last year they were available in Berettas, so not a long use anyway). The far more common one uses the standard 194-type bulb (this is a "T-10" base) with the standard GM "PCB", or Panel Circuit Board socket. These are regularly available online or in typical parts-stores. The other type I have only seen I think twice, it is a much smaller bulb and smaller twist-in PCB socket. I THINK these are the same ones GM uses as their alternative bulbs, also commonly available. Basically, assuming you have no sockets either, if a 194 bulb would fall through it, then you almost certainly have the common type -just buy some PCB194s (also called PC194) or look for an LED drop-in alternative.

Ok Thanks! And yes there is no bulbs or sockets

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:Of the several I have, I found two different sizes, probably depending on the year ('90 was the last year they were available in Berettas, so not a long use anyway). The far more common one uses the standard 194-type bulb (this is a "T-10" base) with the standard GM "PCB", or Panel Circuit Board socket. These are regularly available online or in typical parts-stores. The other type I have only seen I think twice, it is a much smaller bulb and smaller twist-in PCB socket. I THINK these are the same ones GM uses as their alternative bulbs, also commonly available. Basically, assuming you have no sockets either, if a 194 bulb would fall through it, then you almost certainly have the common type -just buy some PCB194s (also called PC194) or look for an LED drop-in alternative.
Got some of the bulbs, and they do not fit. They are 194 bulbs but they are too big. Any ideas?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Someone here likely knows for sure...
Markings on the bottom of the smaller-type bulb 'socket' says "12V 3W ALBA", so obviously 12-volt 3-watt to start with. Socket hole is ~3/8" diameter, plus the little tab-holes on either side. Interestingly, the original bulbs are soldered to the socket's contact-tabs. The plastic of the socket is really brittle from heat and age on mine, obviously. I searched a little, and found nothing comparable. You could TRY a PC37, it might fit, but it won't be bright enough. If you can solder, you could either direct-solder some 194 bulbs to the socket-rail in the cluster, OR install some LED strip-lights along the bottom instead. My '88 Katana 1100 was modified with the strip-lights, looks awesome, more even lighting and has that LED 'cool' white look.
Brittle plastic didn't like my pliers!
Brittle plastic didn't like my pliers!
About 3/8 inch hole -just under the 194 bulb's diameter.
About 3/8 inch hole -just under the 194 bulb's diameter.
These clusters are really cool in many aspects -the orange backlighting lenses can be removed and replaced (the Corsica mod I posted pics of they went with green, and I installed a white fibrous material in place of the lenses on my Yellow Indy, with the stock incandescent bulbs it has a real nice warm golden glow. My GTU is going to get white/red switchable LEDs, and one day I will likely put full-on RGB LEDs in one of them with a white lens to have any color I want at the turn of a dial. Heck, you can even put pictures behind them instead of a lens, and snippets of it would become visible as the segments activate... Oh, the possibilities!
Attachments
Wired!
Wired!
Beretta digital bulb type2 3a.jpg

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:Someone here likely knows for sure...
Markings on the bottom of the smaller-type bulb 'socket' says "12V 3W ALBA", so obviously 12-volt 3-watt to start with. Socket hole is ~3/8" diameter, plus the little tab-holes on either side. Interestingly, the original bulbs are soldered to the socket's contact-tabs. The plastic of the socket is really brittle from heat and age on mine, obviously. I searched a little, and found nothing comparable. You could TRY a PC37, it might fit, but it won't be bright enough. If you can solder, you could either direct-solder some 194 bulbs to the socket-rail in the cluster, OR install some LED strip-lights along the bottom instead. My '88 Katana 1100 was modified with the strip-lights, looks awesome, more even lighting and has that LED 'cool' white look.
Beretta digital bulb type2 1a.jpg
Beretta digital bulb type2 2a.jpg
These clusters are really cool in many aspects -the orange backlighting lenses can be removed and replaced (the Corsica mod I posted pics of they went with green, and I installed a white fibrous material in place of the lenses on my Yellow Indy, with the stock incandescent bulbs it has a real nice warm golden glow. My GTU is going to get white/red switchable LEDs, and one day I will likely put full-on RGB LEDs in one of them with a white lens to have any color I want at the turn of a dial. Heck, you can even put pictures behind them instead of a lens, and snippets of it would become visible as the segments activate... Oh, the possibilities!
I can solder, so that wont be an issue. I have some of the green and blue ones that were too large in there right now with wires running to power. It does look good. What I might do is connect an RGB led strip I have into there. That might be really cool if I can get it to work. But I might just solder some lights in there. Ill have to wait until the rest of my LEDS come in.

From some other research, I believe they are the 74/T5 type. Ill have to purchase that and try those. They seem to be the correct 3/8in size.

Also seems to be 37/73 So you were correct before with the 73 and are still correct with the 37