new front speakers are quiet

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
Calenatar

new front speakers are quiet

Post by Calenatar »

So after the last thread when I found my speaker size, I picked up these
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-4629CFP- ... roduct_top
to replace my factory speakers. I have kappa's in the rear 6x9's and they're very loud, especially compared to stock. now fast forward to today, tore apart my car and installed these new ones and they are very quiet. they seem to be quieter than the factory 4x6's which is odd. anyone have a sure knowledge of the wiring on the front speakers? I looked online and it said LF+ was tan and LF- was grey, and RF+ was light green and RF- was dark green. Can anyone confirm this for sure? To me they almost sound like they're hooked up backwards. Have my balances and fade set to center and its just so weak it pisses me off. should have tested before I put it all back together but I was in a hurry to wrap everything up before rain moved in. Thanks for any help in advance

DTMAce

Re: new front speakers are quiet

Post by DTMAce »

Colors are right.

What are you pushing them with? In dash unit or an amp? These are rated way high for a standard radio to power. The result will be less volume on less power. Typical head units are around 200-250/ 4 speakers. So the average per channel is 50-75W output, and you have a 180W speaker. That is probably your problem. Now, push them with an external amp at around 100W per channel and they will be fine.

If you want a wattage range for the front speakers, you need to keep them between 75-100W for a standard radio hookup. Stocks are 25-30W, just so you have an understanding.

Good luck!

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Calenatar

Post by Calenatar »

I have a sony head unit. the rears are rated at 300w and they flat pound for 6x9's on the same radio with no amp...so i guess if things are being distributed evenly from the head unit I dont understand the lack of sound. I can fade it all the way to the front and turn the head unit up and they're just pathetic. they were supposed to have great high's and mid's and its just not there. this sort of thing frustrates me lol

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Hell my Sony 220W HU is still pushing stock speakers in the Z. But I have it tuned, to keep the bass out of the stocks, just push that to the sub. So far have had no need for heavier speakers.

Sounds like to me those speakers just suck then.

Have to keep in mind, radios put out only so much power, etc. Sony's mostly put out about 60W per channel. You typically only need speakers rated at around twice that to work well, as you have to think of RMS wattage and Peak wattage. Most speakers are rated at peak, or where they start to distort, though that changes with the type of sound and frequency played on them. Radios typically start to distort between 60-75 percent of maximum volume. That can be higher on a better quality radio and vice versa. Speakers that are way higher than the device pushing them can actually sound quieter than a set with a lower wattage.

Its possible that the two different brands you have are built differently. I would suspect the front ones you bought are doing what I would normally expect, the rear ones you bought may be rated 300, but they are probably are not true 300, meaning they may only handle about half that or less. So they end up being a better match to the radio. Sometimes I see them sold as a 300 watt set, (150 a piece) too.

Just going to have to try a different brand or the same brand and type you put in the back. Then it should sound better.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

And as far as the coloring goes with GM.

Lighter color is usually positive, darker color is usually negative. Keep in mind most people would not know the difference if they were backwards. Its a hard to tell thing for a large majority of people. It would not make a dramatic difference, so I'm pretty sure that isn't your problem.

Calenatar

Post by Calenatar »

they're the same brand. infinity. they're quality speakers. the rear set is absolutely the best set of 6x9's ive ever had. they'll shake the door mirrors etc. I would have though the same series of the same brand of speakers would have worked well with each other