4X6's not as loud as i thought

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
themadness

4X6's not as loud as i thought

Post by themadness »

did i cross up the wires while i was installing them?(sony xplode from wally world)

they are crystal clear in my opinion but dont hit the volume i was expecting. they are cheap i know but they sound pretty good in the store and actually had a smidgen of bass. my only guess to that is the factory radio is doing them justice? the cover panel also has a bit of a gap from the firewall since the new ones are taller with the mounting bracket installed.

they do sound better than the factory set up though :Yahoo!:

another little interesting tidbit. the rear speaker(disconnected one b/c it was fried) plays even when the balance is turned all the way to the front.

if i can run down some donation 6X9 from some old friends or family folks i will snatch the factory stuff out too.

stripping the antenna down to the bare metal made a difference with reception too. the brushed aluminum look is nice.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: 4X6's not as loud as i thought

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Factory radio puts out like probably 5w of power... Your way underpowering the speakers... Everything at wally world is typically amped.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themadness

Post by themadness »

are radios from newer model cars stronger? there is a thread somewhere about which ones will hook up without much trouble. if i can grab one for cheaper than an after marker and get similar results i prefer that route. i hell hate aftermarket HU.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I had a newer S10 HU in my car with aftermarket speakers, Could never get the dimmer to work right so the lights never illuminated with the headlight switch, not sure if that was due to my radio being bad or the wiring differences but either way it still sucked sound wise.

If you don't like aftermarket HU's just go get an amp to power the speakers and use the high level input on the amp since you wont have RCA cables to hook up.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GTZfan

Post by GTZfan »

Is all the music not loud enough? Or mainly the bass?
If so...an easy thing is to check is your cabling. In case you exchanged - and + wires for 1 of the 2 speakers, they are now running against each other (0deg/180deg phase). That kills some of the sound.
Be sure you poled everytyhing correctly.
Otherwise, as mentioned above, you simply have a lack of power.

1991 GTZ Quad4 black, all original, low miles. Beretta Calendar 2008, 2009, 2015
1992 GTZ Quad4 quaser, completely restored. Beretta Calendar 2011, 2012, 2013 images of the shiny quaser
themadness

Post by themadness »

i THINK i got it right but this was my first time installing any speakers.....ever. alot easier than i thought actually. i'm gonna double check it. would that have any thing to do with the rear speaker playing with balance turned all the way to the front?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

no thats probably simply a limitation of the factory radio not being able to fully fade to one end.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themadness

Post by themadness »

oh how i miss the days of overpriced, overpowered, tens and twelves that rattle the trunk and rear view mirror........

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

what are you talking about? I just put my 2 10" JL W0's back in my Beretta... LOL

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themadness

Post by themadness »

ha.....my 4 year old isnt a fan of anything i listen too and i refuse to listen to "the wheels on the bus" :crazy: . the investment justification isnt there for the trunk rumble. but when i am by myself i still like a decent sound. 8)

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

That's why my 4yr old doesn't exist... HAHA ;)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themadness

Post by themadness »

i knew a guy back in the day that drove a honda accord with 6 12's in it. he replaced the back glass and bolted the doors shut. he would run the bass sweep test cd that started high frequency and went low. sort of sounded like a bomb dropping. somebody probably knows what it's called. i'm out of the loop these days. sitting in it would pressurize your chest and numb your ears. he eventually had to take the glove box out because it kept falling until broke. i cant remember how many noise ordinance violation fees he had to pay with that set up. that was back in 1995-96

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.net/
These have a great range and there is no need to go to 12's. I have heard good things about them. I would like to buy and 8 just to keep the size of the box down.

keep'em flying!
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

the stock Bose system in many 2003 and newer GM's is really nice actually... with no sub. bosses 03 z71 has this system, i think it is a 6 speaker system, but not sure... also not sure if it is deck powered, or there are separate amp(s) hiding somewhere.

and generally 4x6 speakers dont put out too much bass/lower end. you'll get some good midrange and highs.

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Still wonder why he didn't go with 6x9's. You can get some that go down to 25htz. Atleast you could at one time. There must be some out there that will go down to 30htz. Just remember that the range of your ear is 20-20,000htz. Anything over or under that is more or less a waste. To me super tweets are a scam.
Bose have amps on the speakers.

keep'em flying!