factory 6X9 speaker harness question

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
themadness

factory 6X9 speaker harness question

Post by themadness »

the right rear speaker has static and intermittently cuts out. a gentle wiggle to the harness brings it back in full strength and pretty clear. i tested the female harness with a house speaker with no problems. is there a way to bypass the connector on the speaker and wire it directly? if i can get the factory stuff sounding ok im going to hold out on replacing stuff as the other 6X9 sounds good enough for me.

i'm operating on the assumption that the connector on the speaker itself is worn out and can be repaired/eliminated. i also want to point out when the aftermarket HU was in this speaker didnt even play at all.

let me also add that when my mp3 player is hooked up, the new ones on the front passenger side and the rear 6X9 are VERY quiet. almost cant hear them at all. any amount of bass to the rear speaker almost kills it. lots of static and noise.

BerettaLove32

Re: factory 6X9 speaker harness question

Post by BerettaLove32 »

You can take the adapter off and just strip the wires and use some connectors that plug right onto the speaker.
As for the MP3 player, make sure the wire is plugged in secure on both ends. I have a protective gel case for my MP3 player and due to the thickness, when I would plug it in, it wouldn't go all the way in and cause the same problem you're having. You'd only hear half the speakers. When I take off the case it plugs in nice and tight and all speakers sound normal.

themadness

Post by themadness »

if the harness connection that is on the speaker itself is messed up then the whole speaker is effed up?

my mp3 is cheapy and may just be junk. i hooked my tablet up via fm transmitter(same as mp3 player) and that shiznit sounded like a damn movie theater in comparison! ANGRY BIRDS!!!!

BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

Yeah you might just need a new speaker. If you have some good front speakers you don't even need rear ones. When I had my Beretta I had 6.5s mounted up front and just had no rear speakers. Sounds like you need a new MP3 player too lol.

themadness

Post by themadness »

yea my mp3 player is a 4 in touchscreen polaroid. i may have found a FREE in dash dvd player that might work out for me

http://shopping.yahoo.com/21527530-pyle ... UVeYjnEr8F

i'm going to check on the wiring to that speaker too. maybe i can work it out to get it working right. it sounds so damn good with the tablet audio hooked up. it cant hurt to try to fix it....

themadness

Post by themadness »

well apparently there was a short/damage to the female side of the harness. the connector was pulling away from the wire and making a bad connection. i cut that part off the wire and added a different connector that for the time being is working. its basically one of the "u" shaped connectors crammed in the harness under the plastic so is it makes a good connection.

what type of splice on connector is in the factory harness or is unique to it? is there another type that isnt in the typical kits i could use? i dont have a soldering iron and having more connectors is always a good thing. the free fix works, and the speaker sounds pretty good for its age. it doesnt appear to have any structural problems. but the connection i have is temp since it could fall out with a hard bump. i'm bypassing new speakers if i can get this solved.