Do people know what a GTZ is?

Kept for archival purposes only
paintgod93

Post by paintgod93 »

No one knows what a Gtz is because no one cares.

And wow, you beat a four door slow *** family car and a 5700 pound truck.  Congratulations!  

I think people attack this part of the forum because of
1. Street racing is gay
2. Racing a Beretta is even gayer

1996 zed26 Worst
2000 Katana Better
2006 Gsx-R Best
blindmandesigns

Post by blindmandesigns »

So a 12 second beretta is gay??? what about a mid 12 second 89 cavalier that constantly traps at approx 112-113 because of hitting the limiter before the end of the 1/4 Gay right?

paintgod93

Post by paintgod93 »

What the hell does that have to do with street racing?

The people out there capable of making these cars go that fast are not out there on the streets killing people.

1996 zed26 Worst
2000 Katana Better
2006 Gsx-R Best
blindmandesigns

How was I out in the street Killing people when no one is around to be killed?  I basically took off and "raced" the expedition to get infront of them after there remark. I took it up to about 65 in a 55 with room ahead and no traffic to merge over.

The mazda was just a spur the moment thing on an abondon highway with just the two of us.  big deal.  

Same thing as you taking your bike up above the speed limit with a buddy on his bike.

I wasn't glorifying my mid 15 second car at the time but was only posting the question/statement that the quad4 has been long forgotten about by many people and most never even heard of it...

Z26er

Post by Z26er »

paintgod needs to be more contructive with his criticism for 1, and 2, makign the accusation that someone has already killed some one ( or is goign to kill someone) is somewhat over zealous, preachy. and not to mention all around negative, instead you could always say "it was rather idiotic of you to race on a highway with people travellign on it that you could have severly injured or worse, killed. you no better then the guy in the SUV since you didn't put into consideration the other people on the road before you decided to engage in racign the SUV." that's constructive.

Also, to say, or imply,  that all people who make cars go fast don't race on the street is straight up purely profiling and doesn't have any solid factual backing, the purpose of a STREET DRIVEN track monster is exactly that IT IS DRIVEN ON THE STREET and the end result is that more then likely, off the track, they'll smoke the occasional ricer, or old school V8.

i myself dont' condone street racing, but don't knock it either as street racing is what gave birth to road tracks and drag strips, which are ironically being closed down, that and i do participate in the stop light to stop light everynow and then.

or i just end up in a race because i get really sick of the retard in the vinyled out truck that keeps dicking around in front of me and turning into the lane i turn into to go around him makign a general agitating *** of himself.

Boost is addictive, more boost is more addictive
90 TSI FWD: will get fixed someday.. maybe..
86 conquest TSi: The new toy,  boosted RWD is fun.. till you snap lug nut studs although no 1st gear kinda SUCKS!
95 Beretta Z26: i don't think i'll ever get rid of this thing, i've tried already.
Z26er

Post by Z26er »

Oh.. and uh.. yeah.. i know what a quad 4 is, and they definitly don't have a reputation of being reliable.. in fact everytime i hear quad 4 anymore i say "oh god no, i don't want to replace a headgasket.. AGAIN!" cause not only are they reputable for popping headgaskets, they're a major pain to work on.

Also.. why bash the 305 HO and other 3rd gen camaros? sure, stock they are slow, but correctly modified they aren't, and 305's are popular V8 engines among most of my friends due to having a reputation of being almost indestructible, and considering i've both owned a reason and personally seen a reason as to why they say it's indestructible, i'm a fan of a 305 buildup as well. But i also like my DSM mainly cause it's something new to mod for me, but dont' worry, as an old school fan i also have an "old school" import.. or 3, liek the FC3S RX-7 the 85 300 ZX and a 86 Conquest TSI ( which is mitsubishi) .. ohh yeah.. and a nissan pulsar..

Boost is addictive, more boost is more addictive
90 TSI FWD: will get fixed someday.. maybe..
86 conquest TSi: The new toy,  boosted RWD is fun.. till you snap lug nut studs although no 1st gear kinda SUCKS!
95 Beretta Z26: i don't think i'll ever get rid of this thing, i've tried already.
blindmandesigns

(Z26er @ Nov. 18 2006,05:58)QUOTEOh.. and uh.. yeah.. i know what a quad 4 is, and they definitly don't have a reputation of being reliable.. in fact everytime i hear quad 4 anymore i say "oh god no, i don't want to replace a headgasket.. AGAIN!" cause not only are they reputable for popping headgaskets, they're a major pain to work on.

Also.. why bash the 305 HO and other 3rd gen camaros? sure, stock they are slow, but correctly modified they aren't, and 305's are popular V8 engines among most of my friends due to having a reputation of being almost indestructible, and considering i've both owned a reason and personally seen a reason as to why they say it's indestructible, i'm a fan of a 305 buildup as well. But i also like my DSM mainly cause it's something new to mod for me, but dont' worry, as an old school fan i also have an "old school" import.. or 3, liek the FC3S RX-7 the 85 300 ZX and a 86 Conquest TSI ( which is mitsubishi) .. ohh yeah.. and a nissan pulsar..
if you have not owned a quad4 yourself, you have no clue about the difference between a reputation that was corrected by GM with a recall, and actually owning one.  

Reliability... Both of my GTZs have treated me better then any V6 beretta I have owned (which was a 2.8 GT and 3100 Z26.  If you treat the motor right, it will treat you good as any motor should.  

Granted the heads are prone to crack if you abuse the car and put it through irregular heat cycles (cold start and run hard) if you drive it properly like you should any engine it's a great motor.

Quads are not a pain to work on.  change the sparkplugs on a V6 beretta, a pain in the ***. do it on a quad, takes no longer then five minutes.

I never understood why people said they were hard to work on. maybe because when they came out, it was a totally new concept from oldsmobile and with change people complain. If you have to change the head it takes time to get down to it, but I don't see the difficulty in it.

Now as for the strength of a stock motor, here are some proven facts...

Stock rods have survived to 400 whp in a turbo fiero...

stock block and head have survived in a 607hp turbo quad and ran it on the salt flats... we are talking WOT to 220.xxx mph with a stock ignition system, GM reprogrammed ECM, stock head, stock fuel injection system, (although you know they used bigger injectors) and stock block.  

It doesn't stop there, Jim Fuelings team wanted to go for the 300mph mark, and they built a motor (no mention of what is stock and what wasn't) that made 1200hp on low boost and 1500 on high boost.  unfortunately, the vehicle they were putting this in was unstable at high speeds and only got to 240mph,  another driver drove it, and missed a shift and that was the end of that project whn the motor gernaded when it revved to no end.

stock calais W41 runs 14.7 @95mph stock as quoted in motor trend... add some goodies and you are looking at low 14's.  they respond well to turbos, (12psi made 316whp in a grand am) and on the bottle, killerquad was running low 12's (maybe 11's) with a direct port injection system.  

There reputation has been forever tarnished and no one but a few group of us give a damn about them anymore but they are still being put in old street rods and a new guy on quad4forum is installing one into a sunbeam w/ rear wheel drive conversion.

payback

Post by payback »

just as a side note the quad IS unreliable only because of the rediculously small amount of  breathing cabability of the head and exhaust, not only that but the absolutely horrid, HORRID maintenance on them (not to mention just about EVERY beretta ever made) by their owners, everybody thought the beretta was some slow wannabe and would be around forever,but in reality it was in fact just as good and fast as its v8 rwd cousins, and the very bottom line with the quad and the beretta in general is it was way ahead of its time and IS in fact a forgotten about diamond in the rough.
oh and changing the plugs on a v6 beretta/fwd gm isnt that bad after the first time you do it.

'96Z26:Eibach springs, KYB struts, GM Strut brace, K&N cone
blindmandesigns

I think the quad can be a very reliable motor, I have driven both a 2,8 a 3100 also and I find the quad to be more to my liking,

I am one to be constantly checking my motor out to make sure it is in tip top shape, but I haven't had much many issues with the quad except for an ignition module dying, (which are prone to fail) but I took others advice and had a spare IDI cover in the trunk if it did go bad.  

Other than that I have put 30,000 miles on the quad without incodent.

tweekster64

Post by tweekster64 »

I just wish that one or two of you would learn how to spell right, there instead of their, Ohhhhhh Boy!  

1991 Ford F150 Lariat XLT ext cab-short box
1990 Lincoln Town Car
   I'll have another Beretta someday

Post by Guest »

i had a quad 4 in a pontiac and is was junk stoped runing and could never get it runing just puting that in there but it was a 95 dont know when the recall was put out on them or any thing like that but i dont like them at all sorry but for the ppl that have them good  luck with them  

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

(payback @ Dec. 15 2006,23:49)QUOTEthe quad IS unreliable only because of the rediculously small amount of  breathing cabability of the head and exhaust,
Sorry Payback this doesn't make any sense.

The Quad has one of the highest Volumetric Efficiencies of any stock engine made before the 80s-90s.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

zippy

Post by zippy »

just for the record, I'm 19 years old and I own a white '95 base 3100/3-spd auto, I'm also the owner of a '83 pontiac gran prix 305 CID/4spd auto. my base beretta has a short ram K&N intake, and a slightly (at home) modded exaust. the pontiac had a Nascar mimicking exaust. if the pontiac still ran I would hand anyone who asked the keys to it for a test drive. and then follow only to run circles around the old potiac in my little beretta. the V8 series engine only has power in performance series, like GM's LT and LS series. And yes I know what a GTZ is I'm in the process of buying a '90.

pontiac3100

Post by pontiac3100 »

i had a gtz...but the 3.1 v6 3spd.
and it beat my friends dodge avenger v6, and my dads old school nissan 240zx 5-spd...and my dad knows how to drive stick.

the reason why most people hate quad 4's becuase of the head gaskets.
well as i learned the quad 4 is quite picky for the coolant section... and you have to maintain them..just like any car.

and true the 3100 are a pain in the a$$ for the spark plugs...but thats just for the back.
also i was told these engines whould go through head gaskets and lower intake gaskets.

h/g's not true but if you over heat the engine it's gonna go..right.
lim well thast just gm's wrong doing.

you don't know how many car's iv'e smoked in my 1994 grand am gt, and she has 169k miles on her.
and still pulls.

i like how the berettas looked...and i cried when i had to sell her.

berettajunkie1991

Post by berettajunkie1991 »

I must say for my slightly modified 3.1 she has plenty of balls under the hood, to keep up with my buddy who has a 300zx 5spd doin 110 MPH ( no uninsightful comments please) i must say she has gone through a lot. As far as modified goes i have camaro 3.1 pistons (more compression) slightly shaved heads .040 over bored , CAI and factory pipes with a magnaflow