Beretta vrs Cougar

Kept for archival purposes only
1988GTU

Beretta vrs Cougar

Post by 1988GTU »

Today was kind of boring and my buddy came by with his  Mercury Cougar 2.5 24V Auto.  He put a CAI in it not too long ago and wanted to see what he had against a 3.1MPFI/3 speed Beretta.  He always kind of kept up with the Beretta stock for stock and since then things were added so a rematch was suggested.  The Beretta is in the process of being boosted again but has been running to rotate cars around to keep the city off my case.  So it (Beretta) has 3" exhaust, 1.6 (60*) rockers, FFP UDP, WAI, ECM not tuned, STB, Eibachs, KYB's & poly filled mounts.
Went to the usual back road and only went up to 85-90 ish.  From a roll of about 30 mph, he lost....  not by much (2-3 car lengths if that) From a dead stop, he lost (4+ car lengths) .  

_________
-------------
KillerofRice

Beretta vrs Cougar

Post by KillerofRice »

Not too bad. I took on a 2002 WRX with my GTZ this past Saturday. From a dead stop he got me by about 2 car lengths. We did a 20 mph roll and he lost by about 2-3 car lengths. He only got the lead from the dead stop b/c of the awd. I was so wishing for LSD at that point.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
84 Z28- Sold  Was a better beater than beretta.
1988GTU

Beretta vrs Cougar

Post by 1988GTU »

Cool.
My buddy wanted me take out the Q4 for a quick spin and show him what that could do, but I need the Quad for work and driving the 3 speed to work would cost a lot in fuel.  So I told him it would be even worse of an outcome for him.  :-P

_________
-------------
KillerofRice

Beretta vrs Cougar

Post by KillerofRice »

Yea he would definitely get left in the dust. I was quite happy with the old quad going against the WRX. His 227 hp against my 180 hp with 157k on the engine. I guess I underestimated the old girl once again. You gotta love back road racing .

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
84 Z28- Sold  Was a better beater than beretta.
beretta taimer

Beretta vrs Cougar

Post by beretta taimer »

any one raced a 72 camaro 305 220 hp v8 the gt time is almost even but it has more torqe so it takes off a sec faster but near the top speeds it is to heavy for  the low horsepower the car has to way over4,000lbs the car is worth a lot of money now being a classic but it cant compeat with the gt v8s like that are unessosery weight and an inch higher long races mean burning more fuel but im going to be selling the comaro if any one is intrested im asking4,800$obo it is rebuilt with 100,000 miles

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Beretta vrs Cougar

Post by heavywoody »

(beretta taimer @ Jun. 26 2007,15:56)QUOTEany one raced a 72 camaro 305 220 hp v8 the gt time is almost even but it has more torqe so it takes off a sec faster but near the top speeds it is to heavy for  the low horsepower the car has to way over4,000lbs the car is worth a lot of money now being a classic but it cant compeat with the gt v8s like that are unessosery weight and an inch higher long races mean burning more fuel but im going to be selling the comaro if any one is intrested im asking4,800$obo it is rebuilt with 100,000 miles
WHAT?

Grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation are your friends.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
leadfoot93

Beretta vrs Cougar

Post by leadfoot93 »

I raced a stock cougar before i s/c'd my car and stomped him badly every time even with just a 3.1 and a 3 spd he doesn't even want to try me now .  Cougars are so slow it's pitiful but they do look fast

foot in the floor mpg about 8
1988GTU

Beretta vrs Cougar

Post by 1988GTU »

(leadfoot93 @ Sep. 04 2007,00:28)QUOTEI raced a stock cougar before i s/c'd my car and stomped him badly every time even with just a 3.1 and a 3 spd he doesn't even want to try me now .  Cougars are so slow it's pitiful but they do look fast
I dont know what purely you can do to that style cougars, but I do know he has something burning hole in his pocket ...  I do know they have a nice suspension selection.  lol

_________
-------------
khorne2175

Beretta vrs Cougar

Post by khorne2175 »

when I had my 91 GT I raced a Mustang 5.0  My brother had done some mods to it not sure what he did to my car but I took the 5.0 by about 1/2-1 car length my brother was pissed even though I wasnt racing him.(He is a major Mustang fan.  He told me he would never mod my car for me again    LOL)

In the darkness of space all warriors are cold

-Klingon Proverb