Ontario J Body Club Event

Need some setup advice, have some stories? For organized racing stories only! No street racing here!
Asylum

Re: Ontario J Body Club Event

Post by Asylum »

Hey Jon the bottom line is that your car and mine are likely within 4 or 5 HP in the general scheme of things.

I have a better MPH and you have me by about "a tenth of a second" for bragging rights!

Fair enough!

We both have this thing pretty well figured out and I am impressed you did it, apparently, on your own.

I had some pretty qualified help!

Suffice that we both have valuable knowledge and info for others to learn from. (I just wish they would listen!!)

AND! We both have too much money in these silly cars!

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

4-5 HP difference? I'm not so sure about that one... You have many advantages over me, one being the 24" dr's over my 25's I've only run 24" street tires and they spun badly with my 2.09 60' Also you trans has got to be about 50-60 lb's lighter iirc, and on top of all of that you still have better gear ratios over me. And many have proved the benefit of gear on a less HP engine. Hell a stock 3400 with no real tune ran a 14.3 with a 5-speed... I wanted you to come to bfest so you could have dynoed and actually had numbers to compare. Also what's your race weight? My fastest was done at 3040lbs.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

It's crazy you're trapping damn near 100. Sweet deal. I'm praying for 13s myself, but I think it's pretty high hopes.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

My GT is 2860 pounds in race trim, and I weigh 217 as of my physical last Friday.

:beer: <<<This is almost as good as Pedro!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well on that note, I still find it very hard to beleive that we are that close on HP... You know as well as I do what a transmission will do to a 1/4 mile time. If we were both running 3t40's then ok maybe that would be comparable. Also if the gear ratios were exactly the same then it would be more of a comparison and then could be due to rotational weight losses which would give us very similar or close HP numbers. But I doubt that a stock 3500 is putting down the same as my car, OR what my car should be putting down, because honest to god I'm not even sure if my tune is good enough to be max power... Right now I'm 11.8:1 a/f at WOT... and my 13 sec runs I was 12.5-12.6, but 12's flat off the line, so that was much closer to what it should be... but was still not very stable, I wish Rodney would do OBDII :)

Maybe you'll have to ask Rodney this, but how much spark advance are you running at WOT?

This just proves more and more that I need a better way to test and tune my setup... Your lucky enough to get a dragway every weekend then you forward off your logs to Rodney and he does his magic... All I got is a one man show over here and I'm still a little behind on all the WOT controls for OBDII.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Rodney can do OBD-2, but he is so busy with work and his own car right now that it's hard to nail him down. (His turbo/intercooled 3500 5-speed is going to be NUTS!)

However he also knows enough about it that he "re-verted" his '94 to OBD-1. But Rodney can speak for himself.

The chip he installed last week is one he made last October, and the traction was so bad at St Thomas last weekend I'm not even sure what it accomplished. It was suppose to introduce more fuel and timing down low, but it may in fact have hurt matters on that day. My best 60' was 2.08 and the car has run 2.01's

If you look and listen to the video Kerri posted you can actually hear the car come alive about 60' off the line. That has to be addressed yet.

My wideband reads in the 11's at the finish line (although it is a little difficult to look down at that point and it changes so quickly) and sits right on 14.6 -15.1 at idle and on the highway. (It is still not hooked up to the ECU however)

He claims he is going to make every effort to get his car to Albany, and I will make sure he brings all his stuff, so you can speak to him there and see what he thinks.

BTW, My WOT-Tech decals just arrived! WOOHOO!

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

Alright, first of all, I've only made ONE datalog of Erics car, believe it or not, all of the tuning I've done has been from my own experience with my own car. Now, OBD1 and OBD2 are two totally different animals. The spark tables and reference tables are totally different, and even if you plugged in the same numbers, the adder and multiplier tables would skew the results. OBD1 also has an initial spark advance constant, and its own multiplier tables. Don't forget, you are running different compression, and a bigger cam than Eric, so whats good for him, probably wont be perfect for you. His is still far from complete, I need to do many more datalogs and changes before I give up on consistant 13s for Eric. And I will be more than happy to give you help with your tune at NE (I will make every effort to make an appearance).