New bests THROUGH THE MUFFLERS! AND CAI thoughts

Need some setup advice, have some stories? For organized racing stories only! No street racing here!
Barry
Global Moderator

Re: New bests THROUGH THE MUFFLERS! AND CAI thoughts

Post by Barry »

3X00-Modified wrote: The only thing that I would consider if it was so expensive, is a 5-speed swap. But even then I'm looking at useless 1st gear and such.
Thats the easy way out, dont do it!

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

5-speed swap is an easy way out to a fast car? Well yeah thats been my point for a long time :)

It's all in the gear, and unfortunately the 4t60 isnt the best in that department, BUT some people make some mighty fast grand prix's and such, and those 4t65e's have the same gear ratios as mine 1st and 2nd

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

You can keep your 5-speeds!

My car will leave harder, more consistently and NEVER misses a shift.

Oh and it doesn't break things!

Bring on the 5-speeds. I'm ready!

I may have the best "though-out" car on here. (Does anyone really think I would spend this much money and NOT know what the hell I was doing? The 3500/3t40 is a natural!)

Every gear ratio was considered, every possible tire diameter was looked into, and while it took two TBs to find the best one, (and alot of wasted money) from Day One this car was ready and ran what it was meant to.

Everything works to just two simple paramaters.

Can it be driven to the track and, how much gear can we stuff into it.

It still would like more gearing but gets 24 mpg on the Interstate with the 3.73's and NO TCC.

14.0's on a 3500 that is 100% un-touched??

Great tuning and gearing FTMFW!!

I take alot of shiet on here about how "he doesn't work on his car" and I let most of it go.

But I know more about this car and what makes it work than most of you could imagine in your wildest wet-dream.

Yes Rodney does the tuning, and I don't pay for trannys, but there is a hell of alot of work on this car on a weekly basis that doesn't get done by itself.

And it runs 14.0's N/A

However I know nothing about cars. LOL!

But I have the fastest N/A Beretta and a tick or two away from the quickest. In fact 13.996 and 14.060 is only barely bragging rights! Especially when I'm 1 1/2 mph faster! LOL.

Jon can make all the damn excuses he wants about gearing, tuning or whatever phase the moon may be in, but mph and the insignificance of the ET difference indicate HP wise I'm right there with his highy touted Hybrid thingy!

Hell he has likely spent more money on gaskets sets than I spent on my whole engine!

I could not care less about his "loppie Idle". Hell I don't care if it sings the lonley love song of some extict Dynolicious Possuum.

But he's still a neat guy to bug!!

:beer:
Last edited by Asylum on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Understood. I like my stick like you like your auto. Its all good.

Ill give you my best run at NE. The car has never seen the track yet. It may run a 15 for all I know. Or it may do alot better if I can get it to launch... well see

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I will never say a MPH is an exact science of HP. Sorry there bud, but I wont believe anything till its run on a dyno.

Once again your comparing apples and oranges... My car was NEVER INTENDED to run n/a at the strip, I only did that because you gave me so much crap about it. I have now since found many flaws with the engine internals since those runs, and also found a huge flaw with the nitrous setup somewhere related to fueling... So with all of your 400+ runs on your car yeah you have a comparable time, which goes with my um 12 runs in one day at the strip... Just think of where I would be if I had the same time and runs on my setup.... I'm already "ahead" of you with minimal work.

If I had as much time as you do to dial my car in I really don't think you would have much bragging rights.

Honestly say what you want, but you have much more experience and people at your disposal to set the car up for a 1/4 run... I'm lucky if I even have the time to fix the damn parts that wore out due to buying cheap stuff. Nevermind tune it and then drive it 2 hours to the track to try it.

Also a stock 3500 comes in at 196 to 201 crank HP... Untill you run it on a dyno I will say your 99mph runs at 3050# on a "HP calculator" is 100% BS... sorry but it says that you have 253 crank HP Thats a little much to be gaining from just a tune, and headers. Nevermind that out of 2 different websites I have different numbers, 253, 231.

You run a dyno and get 202 WHP or more I will retract that comment (~20% driveline loss). And I dont think I'm the only one who wants to see what you really have, rather than speculate all day long.

Remember I was only quoted 270 crank HP with this cam N/A with my "setup" And thats on a simulator. It takes a big cam to produce n/a power with low compression, you should know that. And my "big" profile isn't geared toward that n/a induction.

SO... if you want to compare to n/a cars leave me out of this... That is not my area, as much as you may hate it.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Who the hell said the 99.58 at 3050# was a simulation??

It's on this time slip sitting here! Right next to the 14.06 and 1.98 60' time.

And I know what my car weighs with my fat arse in it. Gets weighed every year at the track.

This thing is now a full second quicker than it was when the engine was installed, and is probably makng quite a bit more power than GM tuned it for when they were concerned with mileage and emissions in a 2005 Malibu.

So that 200 number is simply meaningless, and probably had more to do with marketing than actual mass production performance.

You are correct in the argument that computer calculators can be all over the map, but the time slips, especially when there are several almost identical, from two different tracks, don't lie.

I have no idea how much power it is making in the form of a number, and as I have said I really don't care.

It's one number involved with a myriad of variables that result in a timeslip. And they just keep getting better.

But Barry, Woody and yourself will make for an interesting day at the track. Of course now it will rain for sure. %)

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Never said your slip was a simulation... I simply stated that many want to see what HP you can put down with a stock 3500 TUNED AND AN AUTO... Yes you have very good 1/4 mile times but who wants to build a car with that agressive of gearing and no TCC to drive on a regular basis. You have a very successful functioning track car, I really think it would start to wear thin if it were used more often than just to the track and back... as you always say 3500 RPM on the higway at 65 gets annoying.

You may not care what HP the engine has, but others may not care how fast you can go a 1/4mile. Everyone else cares about something different. If you can prove that a 3500 can reach a baseline of 250 crank HP I think you'll get more people interested in full 3500 swaps... INCLUDING ME. I'm thinking if I were to take my cam and put it in a low mile 3500 bottom end I may blow you out of the water, BUT I wont know that till you prove to me that you can produce that type of power with a stock 3500. And YES I know you have the slips, but I really dont like using internet calculators to take MPH/Weight and get an "estimated" hp number. You can estimate all day long but till you have it tested, its still a flying guess.

Send me the bill for a dyno visit. I will pay to have your car run.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

to be honest I consider a corrected 1/4 mile run with a derived HP through a true simulator a more accurate way of comparing hp than a chassis dyno. NO ONE really ever listens to me when I say chassis dynos are comparitors only. If you go to the same dyno everytime and make changes you can track progress but if you go from one dyno to another it means nothing. I have only ever seen a single dyno that was calibrated correctly ever. Greasing the bearings on a dynojet can add 10 hp so now your going to go faster, I don't think so.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes, but there are MANY HP "calculators" out there that are pre configured for a RWD whp reading... I cant imagine in the slightest that our FWD setup has the same driveline loss... I only found one that stated "crank HP" and that was the one that listed him at 253. Yes I can agree maintenance on a dyno I'm sure will make a difference, But thats just as much of a variable as you see at the track. I would just like to see a dyno graph of this car to see what it has.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

An automatic is no doubt a much better car for bracket racing. Maybe even for drag racing in general, it's definitely easier on the drivetrain. I just cant stand how boring it is to drive that way. crap, even Tiff's Sube is more interesting to drive on a daily basis than my Z26 was.

And with a manual is you can try launching at whatever RPM you feel like without swapping parts!

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

OFF TOPIC!!

Where can I get header gaskets.

The one I ordered from GM is this damn metal thing with heat shields!!

I put this here because it is attracting the folks who have this set-up!!

Will the 60* ones in the store work?

HELP!!

:good:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I got mine directly from S&S.

I read somewhere that you can use the OEM ones if you cut clearance in the heat shields. I opted not to and contacted S&S for their replacement gaskets.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Well this GM thing is pretty impressive, and looks like it would seal pretty well, but holy crapp there is alot to it!

I can trim off the excess but I'd like some thoughts on this.

Thanx Woody!

No wonder it was almost $40 with taxes.

I may try to use it, but because it such a PITA to do I'm leary.

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Answered you on 60*

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Can you or someone give me the part number you used.

This one doesn't look like it's going to work, unless I cut it into three separate pieces and just use the actual ports.

It's 12572978

Eric

Asylum Motorsports