Old content.

Submit your suggestions for our board. Talk to moderators about issues or posts
snowblindburd
Administrator

Old content.

Post by snowblindburd »

Heya,

I was just wondering if someone could go through some of the older content (not all of it, just important topics like the Euro Tail wiring how to: http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3583) and edit it to not have all the gibberish. I'm assuming this was a result of miscommunication between versions of the board during the upgrade, or something.

Anyway yeah that would be awesome. If it's too much work to be done at this point, I could always do it in a text editor and just copy it over to a mod to copy and paste.

Thanks,
Mark

1991 Beretta GTZ
DTMAce

Re: Old content.

Post by DTMAce »

That gibberish that is in there represents coding for things like smileys and such that did not translate to the new forum code. Most of it can simply be deleted.

Biggest problem are images.

All of my older posts in the 94 Z thread had actually lost the image URL tags, even though the pictures are still there. So any of those posts with pictures, will have to have each picture's URL identified BEFORE editing the post containing it, just in case the URL for the image within the edit post page are not listed like mine weren't. Since I was updating all of my posts with new pics anyway, didn't matter much to me.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It's apostrophes that are doing it... not sure why, must be from the upgrade or backup restore not recognizing the font used or something.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

Yeah, all the important content is there, just need to delete the gibberish. I think the hardest part would just be going through each forum and finding the important ones to correct, and that wouldn't even be that bad. Some of them could probably be made into a how-to for the main site.

Which brings up another point, it would be nice to have just a couple more menu items on the front page, so you can separate out the information. I.e. "Technical Information" vs "How-To Writeups" and so on. Just so its not one huge menu with every "article."

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

snowblindburd wrote:Yeah, all the important content is there, just need to delete the gibberish. I think the hardest part would just be going through each forum and finding the important ones to correct, and that wouldn't even be that bad. Some of them could probably be made into a how-to for the main site.

Which brings up another point, it would be nice to have just a couple more menu items on the front page, so you can separate out the information. I.e. "Technical Information" vs "How-To Writeups" and so on. Just so its not one huge menu with every "article."
I've been trying to work on that one... :) Been busy at work

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

Cool! Work definitely takes priority. Take your time and thanks for working on it =). I do appreciate it.

diedemus

Post by diedemus »

its actually a result of the encoding of the original board, there was nothing to go by so I used a base UTF8 encoding when I converted it, the issue has been compounded on a couple of upgrades, but I may be doing a complete overhaul to the forum when I get time, I only have a day between this semester and the next so it may be a couple months before I get time to do much.

snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

Sounds good. Good luck with everything!

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I did the most I can do to group stuff together, If I publish a page its automatically listed on the Articles bar and I cant change that. If I leave it as draft or pending review you guys can't see it. So I have to wait on Will changing what content is displayed on that bar.

I grouped most of the technical pages under a header but it's not very distinct and still looks cluttered.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

Hey thanks! It does help a bit =).

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

As I've said in the past if anyone has some input on how you want things organized PLEASE let us know I'm open for ANY input... better to have community involvement on the setup rather than only one person coming up with the idea.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"