GT Grill and Sunroof Questions

North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas
flamingothicsnake

Post by flamingothicsnake »

Well, I picked up a GT grill, the one thats blacked out, no holes, do i need the whole air induction plastic pieces that go behind it if i put it on? Or will my car be able to still suck in air through my stock air filter locationwithout overheating? I almost think its too much work if i have to have all the rubber/plastic pieces behind it too and gotta wait for another gt to visit the junkyard. Oh, and does anyone know the best way to install a sun roof? I got one now and need to figure out where to put the drain tubes(to get water from sittin in the roof and rusting) and how am i supposed to cut my roof without rippling the roof? any insight is appreciated! if ya can, i hardly check online, email me at flamingothicsnake@yahoo.com, or here i guess... Thanx again.
XoXo The Checker Chick oXoX

~Sammie Jo~
83 Chevy Monte Carlo- 350/350 turbo
87 Chevy Beretta- 2.8L
88 Chevy Beretta- 2.8L
90 Olds Cutlass Ciera- 2.5L
92 Ford F250- 351 Winsor
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

If you change the color of your post so I can read it, I would try and help you.

I'm NOT being funny. It's very difficult to read.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

All I see is an email address.

_________
-------------
flamingothicsnake

Post by flamingothicsnake »

Well, I picked up a GT grill, the one thats blacked out, no holes, do i need the whole air induction plastic pieces that go behind it if i put it on? Or will my car be able to still suck in air through my stock air filter locationwithout overheating? I almost think its too much work if i have to have all the rubber/plastic pieces behind it too and gotta wait for another gt to visit the junkyard. Oh, and does anyone know the best way to install a sun roof? I got one now and need to figure out where to put the drain tubes(to get water from sittin in the roof and rusting) and how am i supposed to cut my roof without rippling the roof? any insight is appreciated! if ya can, i hardly check online, email me at flamingothicsnake@yahoo.com, or here i guess... Thanx again.
XoXo The Checker Chick oXoX  

~Sammie Jo~
83 Chevy Monte Carlo- 350/350 turbo
87 Chevy Beretta- 2.8L
88 Chevy Beretta- 2.8L
90 Olds Cutlass Ciera- 2.5L
92 Ford F250- 351 Winsor
Bandit

Post by Bandit »

Ok, I will try to knock these out for you....

If the grille is solid with no holes you have a GTZ/Z26 grille.  Not a GT.  And, Yes, You need all the duck work to shove air up from under the bumper so the car does not overheat.  It's not the airbox thats the problem.  It's that with a solid grille there's not enough air passing through the radiator to keep the coolant cold.

As for your sunroof.  I assume that this is a factory one from another car since you said it has drain tubes.  Your first thing you have to do is get the EXACT measurement the factory one was installed.  The drain tubes are ran above the headliner down the A-pillar and down the C-pillar down to the rocker panel area.  To cut the roof without rippling it you need to use an air powered cutoff wheel.

And just one more thing.  If you thing it's to much work to put the duct work in for a solid grille I HIGHLY advise you don't attempt cutting your roof for a sunroof.

Just for reference, this is a GTZ/Z26 grille.  I'm almost positive you have this grille...

- Ryan -
1987 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
1995 Chevy S10 Ext. Cab 4x4