Kyles 4T60E rebuild.

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Kyles 4T60E rebuild.

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Being on jack stands is 100% safe... If you trust rolling under it to work on it then why not trust the stands with it running? No one would die if it fell off while it was running vs being under it, You'd just break a lot of crap... I highly doubt it would take off, you'd break an axle before it would just rip forward... Have you seen cars jump off a dyno? Not many fly as far as someone would expect it to.

Paint I use is just the Duplicolor 500* engine paint... Don't have any problems with it holding up to heat, its more the surface prep of mine that results in it pealing over time, never actually sand blasted then painted the case... just blast with a power washer.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I understand, it's just something I will not do.

keep'em flying!
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

3X00-Modified wrote:Being on jack stands is 100% safe... If you trust rolling under it to work on it then why not trust the stands with it running? No one would die if it fell off while it was running vs being under it, You'd just break a lot of crap... I highly doubt it would take off, you'd break an axle before it would just rip forward... Have you seen cars jump off a dyno? Not many fly as far as someone would expect it to.

Paint I use is just the Duplicolor 500* engine paint... Don't have any problems with it holding up to heat, its more the surface prep of mine that results in it pealing over time, never actually sand blasted then painted the case... just blast with a power washer.
I think a lot of the concern has to do with the fact that the car vibrates while running, something it normally wouldn't do while just being wrenched on. That vibration could cause it to walk off the stands... A lot of old-schoolers simply will not even consider it -that is one departures from the rest of the traditionals that I take too. :pardon: But I totally hear Money Pit on it, and it should be noted for the general public that special care in placing the jack-stands should be made if planning on running the car on them. Especially if running the car while under it. :good:

But just to clarify, absolutely NO criticisms from me on this, just in case it came across otherwise, okay? :beer:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There was some vibration, but that was due to the rotors being put on wrong with the rust that had accumulated on the backside of them... Once we got that right there was no vibrations at all, so really if the car is right it shouldn't walk off the stands ;)

I would NEVER get under it while the wheels are turning that's for sure....

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

You keep doing this stuff, you could use a engine support instead of the hoist..

I have the older version of this...

Cliff Scott
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

3X00-Modified wrote:Being on jack stands is 100% safe... If you trust rolling under it to work on it then why not trust the stands with it running? No one would die if it fell off while it was running vs being under it, You'd just break a lot of crap... I highly doubt it would take off, you'd break an axle before it would just rip forward... Have you seen cars jump off a dyno? Not many fly as far as someone would expect it to.
I def agree.

_________
-------------