1988 beretta GT - my first project car

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

This my stock 1988 beretta gt and is also my first project car.

Heres my to do list:
Change color from white to red
Replace suspension
Add front and rear sway bars
Change tires and rims
Remove maf and replace it with iat + k&n filter
Bmw e36 headlights
Gtu spoiler
Replace all the split loom tubes on the wiring harness
Replace broken filler panels
Replace and repair brakes change discs etc
Repair dash as it is very damaged or replace it for a 91+ dash
Led lights on the interiors
Install a decent stereo with a good sub
Repair floor mats and seats maybe change their color

And the list goes on but for now thats all i can remember.

Also i would like to replace my current "single" turn signals for the split turn/fog lights ive seen on gtz' though for that i would some of your help.

Now to some background on the car itself:
My beretta has 103k miles on it and belonged to my grandad, now im fixing it for myself and have found so much trouble getting it to work correctly, and now the i have managed to fix most of the engine problems im heading towards the rest of the car so if any of you guys can give me any feedback on how to do things and what to buy etc i would appreciate it a lot.

I am perhaps the only user from Honduras(google map it ;)) and things are very hard for me to get in here so i just have to import stuff from the us luckily i already have that covered :) so now im begining my journey into the beretta world!

Ill be updating the thread as i work so expect lots of pics soon :)
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381466657.089242.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381466624.697004.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381466552.624364.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381466504.999140.jpg

1988 Beretta GT 2.8L V6 - Yeah my Retta is a year older than me! :)
Work in Progress
themixer

Re: 1988 beretta GT - my first project car

Post by themixer »

looks like fun!

enjoy the project! please post pictures i hope your car is rust free in that area!

zcylex

Post by zcylex »

well as far as i have seen the car is about 98% rust free, there is rust but not enough to make things harder than they look :D

Work in Progress
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

My vote is to keep it the same color. I always laugh at cars that have different colors in the door jam and under the hood. Also that would leave more money for other things.

keep'em flying!
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

well not exactly cause the car will be painted at the same place most of the maintenance will be done. so the painter will have the completely dissasembled car at his disposal :D. yesterday i started taking the interior apart to fix the seats and take them to fix (drivers seat sinks and it feels like im seating on the floor LOL) to my surprise theres 0 rust inside the car will post pics when i get back from work.

Work in Progress
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

Finally im back with some updates as things start to get to me ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageLImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work in Progress
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

And theres a lot still to do, at least i changed suspension, brake discs, tie rods. Added the plastic dash cap, got my spoiler, installed stereo and alarm, plus subwoofer.

I have yet to install the new fuel sending unit, fuel pump, harmonic balancer and belt tensioner pulley.

Work in Progress
themixer

Post by themixer »

looking good so far keep us updated!

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Have the same rotors and they aren't half bad been through their second winter this year with no issues with good ceramic pads

Money pit Beretta

Boy you are working hard and fast. Wish I could get that much done.

keep'em flying!
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

Im working slow actually had the car literally doing nothing for about a month while things were getting to here.

I recently found a leak in my firewall on the passenger side ill have to start looking for a way to fix it..

Still have to find a way to redo/rebuild my dashboard, door panels and the rest of the interiors.

Work in Progress
Money pit Beretta

Still faster than me(lol). All total I have three cars to work on, but one just needs minor things.
Many firewall leaks come from the lack of seam sealer in the cowl area. Must have been some lazy workers in those days or new people. Mine didn't have half of what it needed. Some may have fallen off......some for sure was never there. Not going to go into those screwed up "tar paper covered with foil" things in there(leave them be if you can).
Anyway, find a good brand of flexiable seam sealer. Clean out the cowl and use a small brush. Keep your eye out for rust! That is one of the best out of site out of mind areas. You sure don't want to weld a patch into that.

keep'em flying!
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

Thanks im going to do that today, as i have to take the dash out again lol. Next sunday im putting the new fuel pump, sending unit, tcc solenoid and fixing a leak in both oil pans (tranny and engine)

Work in Progress
Money pit Beretta

Oops, should have made that more clear. The cowl is under the windshield wiper arms. If you have trouble getting them off turn them on and stop them when they are vertical. Then use a battery cable puller to get them off. Be sure that you have some of those plastic black push in's(mid length). Oh and a trim tool works very well to get those out. Not the flat one that is used for door panels. I have a Lisle that looks like this:
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Do ... C1253.aspx
The Lisle looks to be a higher quality than that one. Do not use the glass as a base to pry out the push in's. That tool is great for taking off hoses that have been on a car a long time too. All you have to do is work the end(pushing the hose) until you get to a point where you can pry it off. Take it easy and try not to dig into the metal or plastic that is holding the hose. That saves the hose and your fingers from getting stabbed by a flathead screwdriver.
Everytime I go to the JY that tool goes with me! It's great for minor pry jobs too.
:good:

keep'em flying!
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

Removed the cowl, and the hood LOL but atleast i think i found the problem its not in the cowl but iwhere the harness to me ecm goes so that gives me quite an idea of why my old ecm was crazy they screwed up on that side Image
As you can see theres quite some rust under it there. I dont have the stuff to fix it but will most likely do it tomorrow.

Now to other problem i brought a belt tensioner pulley that looks like thisImage
But my original looks like this
So my belt tensioner wont align ill have to fix my old one

Plus my harmonic balancer did not come with any kind of seal so i cant put it there yet, i allready have a lot of leaks from both oil pans and that seal which is broken so im kinda mad about it lol

Work in Progress