Resurrecting my dad's car for my daughter.

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Wyrm

Re: Resurrecting for my dad's car for my daughter.

Post by Wyrm »

zcylex wrote:
jskiguy wrote:I'm just trying to help clarify.
The correct oil pressure sending unit will be longer that the one on the car now.
If you go to buy one, they will ask if you have a light or a gauge.
The one for the light acts like a switch, "on or off".
The one for the gauge acts a variable resister to display the amount of oil pressure.
Thats what i was trying to say

Thanks for the help man. I will give that a try. Have you had any luck finding the modification to the wiring you were talking about to fix the tach and the air bag light?

Also, I was so worried about describing what wasn't working that I forgot to say what was. Everything that the old cluster had is working on the new one (speedo, fuel gauge, water temp and all the lights except for the air bag.) The voltage gauge and the trip meter also work (the old cluster didn't have those.)

zcylex

Post by zcylex »

6r8ph1X wrote:If anyone hasn't figured it out already, if you have a 96 and you are upgrading to an older than 96 cluster, you need to take the wire from pin 9 on your ECM and pull it through the fire wall, into the engine compartment. Next, look for the 6 pin connector on your your coil packs. This is your ICM plug. Take the little rubber plug out of pin "C" on your ICM plug, and either get a pin out of a donor ICM plug from the junk yard or somewhere else and connect that wire you pulled out to the pin and put it into pin "C" of the ICM plug. This SHOULD be how you get the tach to work if it is not a 96 cluster. This is all explained in the Obd2 swap guide on bstuff.com. I just tried to simplify it, the original guide was alittle more confusing.

good luck!
heres the full tutorial hes talking about, however you already have obd2 so you would have to reverse the steps ONLY to know what wires you need to make the tach work and maybe the air bag...
http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4178

heres someone else who was having around the same problem you have...

http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5365

1988 Beretta GT 2.8L V6 - Yeah my Retta is a year older than me! :)
Work in Progress
Wyrm

Post by Wyrm »

zcylex wrote:
6r8ph1X wrote:If anyone hasn't figured it out already, if you have a 96 and you are upgrading to an older than 96 cluster, you need to take the wire from pin 9 on your ECM and pull it through the fire wall, into the engine compartment. Next, look for the 6 pin connector on your your coil packs. This is your ICM plug. Take the little rubber plug out of pin "C" on your ICM plug, and either get a pin out of a donor ICM plug from the junk yard or somewhere else and connect that wire you pulled out to the pin and put it into pin "C" of the ICM plug. This SHOULD be how you get the tach to work if it is not a 96 cluster. This is all explained in the Obd2 swap guide on bstuff.com. I just tried to simplify it, the original guide was alittle more confusing.

good luck!
heres the full tutorial hes talking about, however you already have obd2 so you would have to reverse the steps ONLY to know what wires you need to make the tach work and maybe the air bag...
http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4178
Does anyone know if this modification will cause problems with the ECM and/or diagnostics? I didn't see anything about problems from the thread referenced, but I like being prepared for problems.

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

This may not be a popular post, but IMHO, requiring a 12 year old to pay $500 for a car with 240K seems to me not fair. I think the car is virtually worthless and if she got it as a gift and put her $500 into it making it safe and reliable, then okay.
I too made my daughters buy there own car so as to have skin in the game.
But I don't think one should be putting so much to try and resurrect it.
It may have sentimental value to you and your dad but when she keeps dumping money
into it when her friends are driving nicer cars, I don't she will like it anymore.
I say, get it safe and let her use it until she gets some good driving experience and then
she should save her money for a nicer car. Beside that, they say new drivers have a high
likelihood of getting into an accident. Both my daughters had minor accidents.
So if you all restored it and it got totaled, chances are the insurance is going to give you squat.
Just my 2 cents.