Just Bought My First Beretta ('94 Z26), any ideas for mods?

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
JeffD

Re: Just Bought My First Beretta ('94 Z26), any ideas for mo

Post by JeffD »

Just swap in a 4t45-e, run parallel ECM and TCM ( you may need to reverse the shift solenoid output pattern with a relay like the 4t65-e). Otherwise, get a ECM from a Grand am that was twin cam + 4t45-e. You may need a few mounts made/manipulated. The 2.4 twincam engine in N cars should have a compatible transmission for the Quad. The 4t45-e are pretty stout transmissions, bearing the brunt of the LX9's 201hp and 221lb-ft of torque (and close to the same redline as a quad) from the factory. The only time I saw a part failure in one was an example that was obviously abused from getting stuck in the winter. I asked a few other techs who had been around longer than I and they said that there were very few failures.

It's worth a look anyway. Your other option is using a 4tXX trans. With that you'll need to have some sort of adapter made for the flexplate and bell housing, custom length cv axles, and other mounts changed due to adapter plate.

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

An all too common recurring theme: Too much talking about it, not enough actually doing it.

I'm a pessimist but we'll see how this goes... or doesn't... Image

I think if I were going to all this trouble I'd swap in something that is a bit more proven or modern (as a total powertrain package). I'm all for pioneering something new but this concept just seems like a dog from the get go. I think I'd be looking at going with a modern GM 4 cyl like the current Ecotec or something. Just my $.02. ...and that comes from a Quad4 owner.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

I have been watching this thread and I agree 100% with Dante!

Unless it's an existing Quad, and there is some sense of preserving it, why in heaven's name would you bother.

And with an automatic no less? It'll be a DOG!

I don't care how crazy you gear it, you will never get the thing to make any power.

I had thought of a 3t40 with 3:73 gearing at one time for my Quad, and I can get the trans built for NOTHING, and decided it would be a dumb idea.

And you will never get anywhere near that much gearing. Quads have a very narrow power band, it's all well past the business end of 5000 RPM, and you won't be able to keep it there with an auto.

Full disclosure. I own a California original no-rust Quad.

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Talk may be cheap, but I think that's the point.

Many of us have neither the time, resources or facility to accomplish our dreams with our cars. So, before experimenting and wasting time, money and maybe a clean Beretta we present our ideas here hoping for some sage advise, not a put down.

I like the Ecotec power train idea, the parts are very abundant and there is some aftermarket too! The next problem is interfacing the Ecotec pcm to the rest of the car.

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

JeffD wrote:Talk may be cheap, but I think that's the point.

Many of us have neither the time, resources or facility to accomplish our dreams with our cars. So, before experimenting and wasting time, money and maybe a clean Beretta we present our ideas here hoping for some sage advise, not a put down.
No one is putting anyone down here. Perhaps unfortunate for the OP, the advice on this swap is not really what the OP wanted to hear. That's the reality tho - We are a group who has been around for ~20 years and we know these cars front to back. The knowledge gained comes from years of experience with them. Just because the masses are advising against the swap because of inherent performance lacking qualities doesn't mean that anyone is being put down.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Hey! I was being nice!

Well about as nice as I get.

Truth be told he should have dumped the Quad/automatic idea at the same time he dumped the red interior with white piping. (That will give you a headache even Aspirin can't cure.)

But it's his car. Just trying to offer some sage advise.

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

No offense was intended guys, I just see it a lot (not just here) where someone is getting creative with an idea and everyone kindly calls them an idiot. =p