The Derretta, 1994 base with some attitude.

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
1988GTU

Re: The Derretta, 1994 base with some attitude.

Post by 1988GTU »

whiteretta wrote:Weighing my options here on doing the OBD2 swap...

Milzy Motorsports is only about half an hour from me. Between cost and convenience for the swap and tune, would the cost difference be worth it to do it myself or have them do it?

I plan to have them dyno tune the car regardless of who does the OBD2 swap, whether it's them or myself. I have no issue doing the work myself, I enjoy doing these kinds of things. However if it doesn't cost much more in the long run to have someone else do it professionally in a quicker time frame, I may consider having them do all of it.

Dyno tune is $500, and the swap would run right around $1000 at their swap.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Shop name aside and looking at it from a 1000' foot view; If a business sees through as much as they can by doing it themselves, it'd be expected that they will stand behind the work and even to some extent, the parts created/used.

If the harness is done by you and the tune is sub'd out to a business, keep in mind that any 'issues' upon the tune session(s) may not hold the business liable as it might be directed to the wiring or other work not conducted by the shop.

Hopefully I made sense. lol

_________
-------------
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

That is a VERY valid point that I didn't think of. It may also give them a chance to run across and repair some of the electrical demons the car has had over the years...

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

gotta factor in the headache value!

_________
-------------
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

It's pretty much settled, makes more sense to have them do it. I love doing all of my own work, but it's becoming more apparent that it's the logical choice to have it done professionally!

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Use that term "professionally" loosely when you're talking about mods to a Beretta... That would indicate that they know what they are doing for that platform and it's not figured out on the fly. Hopefully Milzy knows how to do this swap specific to this platform and keeps the quality high on whatever he does.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

I trust Milzy 100%, I wouldn't let anyone else do it, that's for sure!

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Sweet project. Should be fun to fab.

I would be weary of someone else doing the obd2 swap. However, that is pretty cheap insurance if they will stand by their work...

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

woody90gtz wrote:However, that is pretty cheap insurance if they will stand by their work...
This is the part I would be concerned about. Hopefully he will do this even though he would be using a method from this forum or sourced somewhere else... I highly doubt he has his own plan for OBDII swapping a Beretta, but I could be wrong.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

They've actually done a few at their shop before on Berettas, they're also the same shopped that fixed the wiring mess and tuned Shawn's old ZR6.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

And after he "tuned" shawn's car he came back to me asking me to fix the tune some... I declined because he had already taken it somewhere else so at one point he clearly thought I was not capable. I know Shawn is a bad example because he would never question the quality of someone's work or bring it back expecting for it to be corrected... I just hope you don't have those same issues.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

I hope mine won't be as difficult. Not being a one-off swap may help, along with me going from factory 3100 programming to 3500 swap programming and re-using my 4T60E vs. Quad to 3500 6 speed programming lol.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

whiteretta wrote:I hope mine won't be as difficult. Not being a one-off swap may help, along with me going from factory 3100 programming to 3500 swap programming and re-using my 4T60E vs. Quad to 3500 6 speed programming lol.

He wasn't starting with Quad programming... He had to start with a 1996 3100 wiring harness and the 97 Venture ECU... so in the grand scheme of things your starting at the same point when it comes to electronics... His was different when it came to mount's and whatnot in his car.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

I wonder what kind of issues he had with the tune to begin with... I can't remember if he had it tuned before or after he changed transmissions. I know he had the wrong transmission in for a while, which really screwed up his setup due to it's crazy gearing.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

He never changed the transmission... it's still the same one he started this whole project with. And I tuned it for him from the start but every issue he ever had was a mechanical problem that stemmed from who built his car... He would always question my tune then a few days later would find an electrical issue, or something that was just installed completely wrong. The last time I worked on his tune was at Bfest 2014 TN where I did everything I could to help, but when you would go WOT it would loose fuel pressure/flow after a short period of time and go lean. There is nothing I can do that would fix that. He tried to blame my method of cutting open the bucket to allow the pump raw access to the tank and then later found out once he brought it to Milzy that there was something screwed up with the fuel pump install, not sure if it was a mechanical problem or electrical... but after that it ran much better but he wasn't happy with the tune that Milzy did regarding cold start and such. He said it was better with mine on there and that's when I refused to help and all hell broke loose. Now Radd_Indy_GT owns the car and he has since found many more mechanical/electrical problems that have been causing all the running issues he's been presented with.

SO after reading all of that do you now understand why I question you having Tyler P and Milzy build your car? It resulted in the loss of another member and him selling off his "dream car" because it was too much of a headache.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

And for how long it has taken for him to do what should be a simple swap and when u see that he works on many other cars rather then get yours done would also put concern within myself. In just hope he doesn't screw you or your car on all this

93 GT cammed 3500 TORSEN, headers,intake,wilwood,poly/delrin mounts, 2.5 S.S,Exhaust,dickman kits,GTUspoiler,Euro headlights-tails-mirrors-fender flares-spoiler,Intrax/Koni,91+blk interior,rr disk swap,s.s.clutch line