Re: I'm still here

Post by 1988GTU »

door handles going to the junkyard too?

_________
-------------
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

That's too bad, but I understand completely. Maybe it will give you more time to play with the fun car!

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Windows worth saving? Might be hard to get this in Europe.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
weba

Post by weba »

Gotta love free pickup for junk cars.

Someone else gave up that Nissan on the tow truck, year model 2000~ and complete, to the crusher. Oh well, the average crusher age of car is 19 years here, with the median car age being 15 years.

themixer

Post by themixer »

always a sad day when they goto the crusher

weba

Post by weba »

Parting out the black car next week, let's take a moment to appreciate it at it's last days.

It's become part of the family past 9 years, but I guess everything has it's end at some point.

weba

Post by weba »

Here's the new daily driver that replaces the Black Beretta.

ImageImage

I guess it's time for a family car.
Current model year Ford Focus Wagon STline.
1.5L ecoboost engine, 182hp/250Nm torq. 6-speed manual transmission
Color is called Race Red (really sharp one) and black everything else like windows, roof, rims, grilles. I had the decals removed.
235/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 3 summer tires, really nice grip on these. Bit overkill for 1350kg (2976 lbs) family car.
205/??/R16 Michelin X-Ice North 3 tires for winter.

Isn't loaded , more like the essentials, but I made sure to order the most important stuff needed up here north.

- Advanced lights. 'smart' dual-HID headlights that adjust with the weather and visibility, and turn into corners plus additional corner lights. fogs front and rear.
- Engine block heater and 4 Amp battery charger wired to it, also 230 Volt socket for internal heater.
- Heated windshield
- 7" voice-recognizing Sync-2 system on it, but no navigation software (just going to use the phone) and I actually forgot to order the cruise control, but I guess I can live without...
- All power windows, yay

This is mine for next 3 years, since it's an company provided leasing car, only thing I have to do is drive and fill it up.

Had it for 3 days, so far I really like it!
Last edited by weba on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I did that! and I'm not a ford person. Seems Ford took some pointers away from volvo back when they were partners. Good for Ford!

_________
-------------
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

weba wrote: Current model year Ford Focus Wagon STline.

MY 2016? or 2017? Diesel's are nice.

_________
-------------
weba

Post by weba »

1988GTU wrote:
weba wrote: Current model year Ford Focus Wagon STline.

MY 2016? or 2017? Diesel's are nice.

This is a gasoline engine, I dislike diesel engines and would not own one unless it's on a semi truck or something. :(

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Interesting choice. The diesel would've been my pick, but only be/c I have had my share of gutless 4 bangers in a car of that size or larger.

_________
-------------
weba

Post by weba »

Well the do advertise 0-100km/h (0-62mph) to be 8.8 sec on this car, so it's just a tad slower than 3.1 MPFI + 5spd Beretta was 25 years ago when it was new. I'd say this is definitely quicker than the black Beretta is now.

Actually the engine has All the torque after about 1700-1800rpm and is pretty peppy, just doesn't do much before that. First gear is needed on most slow junctions, but once it gets going It's really good. The drive train mounting does not promote fast shifting nor the gear ratios, tuned for economy I guess, what keeps it from the Quad-4 quickness even if it has the same power and weight, but more torque at wider range.

Diesel engines on passenger cars these days are a nightmare of hyper-complex emission equipment, filling up Urea and DPF burning cycles that makes owning them miserable, specially if driving small distances like i mostly do. My work commute is 7km one way, in that distance small Diesel engine doesn't even generate heat for the car, and will also most likely drain the battery really quickly at winter. (cold battery does not charge that well and diesel requires much more grunt to crank it with the high compression). Added weight of the engine does not promote to handling either, and rarely are any fun to drive either. Also they all sound like crap. :) Yet somehow they are very popular in Europe, but tax regulations heavily dedicate to that.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Being compared to the dinosaur 3.1 says a lot. I wonder if or how much pcm tuning would turn that focus in to a different drive experience? Go from sloth to loch ness Monster on meth potentially?

You think a set of poly mounts would improve the shifting ability? Does it grind when trying to fast shift?

_________
-------------
weba

Post by weba »

Average new car 0-100km/h here in Finland is about 10 seconds. So to what I compare, it's definitely not sloth. I guess i'ts different in US with the almost free gas and reasonable tax. But if needed to faster, they offer better engines and trims like actual ST or RS. Those are out of my price range, and I actually wanted something that drives bit smoother than go-fast model :)

It does not grind but I can feel the drive train shifting position when clutching at high rpm.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Fuel may be viewed as low buck in the states, but the road conditions and responsibilities pay its toll for owning the vehicle. Road conditions are and not limited to, pavement quality, construction detours, annual ownership fees, insurance rates, moronic drivers...

quick and nimble is nice when coupled with a comfortable ride quality.

_________
-------------