DTMAce's Z26 project - DD usage for the time being - 6-8-12

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
DTMAce

Re: Howdy all - Updated July 1st!

Post by DTMAce »

No clue as of yet... May have to do with LED's for some of the other lights, but really don't care. I fixed the main issues with it, so happy.

Well updates, I am currently in OHIO, staying at the granny house for the next two nights. Got down here ok, but developed a nasty transmission leak from... guess where?

Yep, the damn cooler lines. Specifically the lower one, OF COURSE. The one you really can't get to unless you take the lower 3 way coolant hose out of the way first.

I also ran into my uncle, he fixed me up with proper adapters instead of the soldered work we attempted up here. Keep in mind I think the leak is actually coming from the fitting itself, not the solder work! lol

Anyways, I have gone through 1.5 quarts of tran fluid since I left MI. That is quite a bit when you think about it. And yes there is oil all over everything under the car. Now I am just debating on whether I want to go through the hassle of draining the frigging coolant AGAIN, removing the temp soldered ends and fixing it right, (and wasting half a day) or just deal with it, keep topping it off and fix the SOB when I get back to MI. May be buying a tranny when I get back anyway. She started hammering into second more pronounced later on in the day, not sure if it is heat or just getting bad so I now just let it ease into second and then its fine the rest of the way through the gears. Hell it has 215 thousand and it is a 4T60E. It is probably past time to blow up.

We will just see what happens, hopefully the rest of the week will go ok. Charging the A/C tomorrow too. I roasted on the way down here.

:D

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Can you use some PTFE tape?

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Sure but same problem remains. I cannot get AT the connection without draining coolant/removing hoses. Yes that in itself is a simple task, but I have done it already 3 times in the past 4 days. Getting sick of it, and I didn't drive down here to do it again. But the more I think about it, it looks like I just should do it, and get it over with. *sigh

I will be taking pics of the thing tomorrow, and upload them later.

This is all PsycoCacks fault! LOL He didn't know or didn't tell me that the tranny coolant fittings where the wrong size! :p

Speaking of, he hasn't even read my message to him about it yet. :(

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Try buying a factory replacement radiator... I hate to break it to you but the fittings are not the same as stock at least 2 of the 3 I have bought have been different. IIRC my most recent one in pinky was the same as factory, BUT i have nothing hooked to them, so they could be different and I just don't remember since I'm using just an aftermarket trans cooler.

It's not Cack's fault. Yes he may have forgotten to include the adapters... BUT they may not have been on there from where he got it as well.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

My car has always turned on the ABS light with the hazards. I guess when you tell the car you want to be hazardous it says ok and shuts off the ABS system! (when ABS light is on, ABS will not function).

I'm guessing it's a grounding issue. Where exactly I have no clue. But some ground must be weak and it pulls the voltage down and trips the ABS light. Whenever the voltage dips too low ABS light will trip, it's very sensitive to voltage. I've had it trip when the alternator went.

If anyone finds out what ground needs beefing up for the hazard light/ABS issue, speak up!

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Money pit Beretta

Well Ace, if you get the stock radiator you can get the stock style lines from Auto Zone online. I had to replace mine with them and they work great. That was the only place that I could find them. I know how you feel on the coolant. I did the line change(had to pull the lower hose), then not to much later I did the 3400 intake swap(mostly do to a leaking gasket,as you know) and then the timimg chain cover gasket went out and the coolant was changed again. There was a flush after the intake swap also. All this was in about four months time. Boy did I spend alot on coolant!

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Yeah I know it really isn't his fault, I was just BSin.

Just wasn't ... Expected. And I was short on time, but again its my own fault for not checking. This is technically the 4th radiator for the car and the first time I have had this happen. *shrug

I do have the adapters now, my uncle had a set. Will change them out when I get back! Besides, why buy a radiator when you can apparently buy the adapters? Psyco did finally message me to let me know that he did have a set of adapters that came with it but didn't think to include them.. LOL

So... It will be fixed soon anyway.

As for my A/C, the compressor is toast. I have to buy a new one. Not gong to worry about it for now.

:D

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

IsaacHayes wrote:My car has always turned on the ABS light with the hazards. I guess when you tell the car you want to be hazardous it says ok and shuts off the ABS system! (when ABS light is on, ABS will not function).

I'm guessing it's a grounding issue. Where exactly I have no clue. But some ground must be weak and it pulls the voltage down and trips the ABS light. Whenever the voltage dips too low ABS light will trip, it's very sensitive to voltage. I've had it trip when the alternator went.

If anyone finds out what ground needs beefing up for the hazard light/ABS issue, speak up!
Never had this problem you guys speak of... But I have "The Big Three" done to both of my cars, so the engine and battery are both grounded with a 8GA wire to the chassis and the alternator has a direct run to the pos lead on the battery.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Update:

I have finished fixing the transmission cooling lines. Replaced the patch job with the proper adapters. Had to really torque them down to make sure they didn't leak, but they seem to be working perfectly so far. Also was able to find out that the PS pump is making noise. Oh goodie, guess that is next on my list. *sigh

Other than that though, seems to be running just fine for now. :D

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Howdy all - Updated July 12th!

Post by 3X00-Modified »

If its only noise at idle, and you rev it up and it sort of goes away... Ignore it... I've swapped out 3-4 pumps on my red car, they all make noise at idle then go away when driving. Sounds like a shot bearing at idle. Hell I drove the thing with an empty resivoir for 35 min once and then filled it back up and fixed the hose and that pump is still going strong. :) They are kinda hard to kill.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Hmmm interesting.

I had replaced it once already, due to a leak I had that turned out to be the end of the rack had rotted out and simply poured fluid from it. Drove it with no fluid for like 3 months, then replaced the pump and fixed the rack.

When I was cleaning the oil residue from the belt (using brake cleaner) the noise it was making (sounded like a grinding noise) went away because the belt was slipping on it. Once the brake cleaner would dry off it started making the noise again. Been doing it since I put it back on the road. Just figured I would go ahead and swap it, doesn't seem to go away with idle change though. Just constant "grinding".

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Are you sure it's the PS pump? Because the AC clutch will make a loud, annoying "grinding" noise and it's very common.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

AC clutch will sound more like a jingle of a bell... I have that sound now and it's definately a distinctly different noise.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

woody90gtz wrote:Are you sure it's the PS pump? Because the AC clutch will make a loud, annoying "grinding" noise and it's very common.
No, I am positive its the PS pump. I could see its pulley slow down when the belt was wet, and as it dried off it sped back up and was back to making noise. Tried it twice to be sure. Besides that is where it sounds like it is coming from anyway. Sounds like a somewhat high pitched grinding noise. Not very loud mind you, but noticeable.

I had the AC bearing go bad a few years back and like 3400 said, it jingles. Very different sound. But the AC pump is shot anyway, so I have to replace that eventually if I want AC.

Not going to worry about it for now, as the PS works fine, no fluid leaks. Eventually I will replace it, if nothing else to get rid of the noise. I hate cars that make ugly noises.

Money pit Beretta

Did you try to bleed it?

keep'em flying!