New to me 95 Beretta GT

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
sspaulding

Re: New to me 95 Beretta GT

Post by sspaulding »

gonna be a lot of mechanical checked off this list this in the next few months lol.

might even have a donor car in the next few weeks that me and banzai might be picking up.

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Nice, I'm glad you are saving it, should be a sweet car. I see carpet in your list, but not wet carpet...does this mean that it doesn't have the infamous water leak?

I like that the center shifted console insert (the blackish part) is still intact.
My wife was driving the car and she had a dog with her, the dog stepped on that piece and it broke it all to hell.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

EPfiffner wrote:Nice, I'm glad you are saving it, should be a sweet car. I see carpet in your list, but not wet carpet...does this mean that it doesn't have the infamous water leak?

I like that the center shifted console insert (the blackish part) is still intact.
My wife was driving the car and she had a dog with her, the dog stepped on that piece and it broke it all to hell.
They all leak water eventually if not already. I noticed the Beretta's that are always garaged don't get water leak issues until they sit outside.

That is one of many reasons I do not allow pets to roam free in my cars while driving. Animals don't know any better and things will get damaged and I like keeping my cars nice.
That is why I get a pet crate for transport, its also safer for the humans and the pets if there is a collision.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

GT_Indy wrote:
EPfiffner wrote:Nice, I'm glad you are saving it, should be a sweet car. I see carpet in your list, but not wet carpet...does this mean that it doesn't have the infamous water leak?

They all leak water eventually if not already. I noticed the Beretta's that are always garaged don't get water leak issues until they sit outside.
Sitting in a garage SHOULD mean no water coming down onto the vehicle, therefore no water in the carpet. Even driving in the rain the cars don't get that much water into them, there has to be enough to soak through the jute-backing and the carpet before anyone would notice. My convertible Camaro NEVER leaks water -because it lives in a tent! :wink: Otherwise it is like a spaghetti-strainer -it is a Camaro after all.

Epfiffner, if you need one, I have no further use for the shift-plate from my '95 Z-26, Automatic OD with 105k miles and it is VERY nice... Drop a PM at me with your Zip-Code if you are interested, I'll sell it for a reasonable price and can quote shipping costs to you.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Rettax3 wrote:
GT_Indy wrote:

Sitting in a garage SHOULD mean no water coming down onto the vehicle, therefore no water in the carpet. Even driving in the rain the cars don't get that much water into them, there has to be enough to soak through the jute-backing and the carpet before anyone would notice. My convertible Camaro NEVER leaks water -because it lives in a tent! :wink: Otherwise it is like a spaghetti-strainer -it is a Camaro after all.
lol spaghetti strainer.
Thats how my first 88 Beretta was because we put a few drain holes in the floorpan to let the water out years a ago.

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

GT_Indy wrote:
Rettax3 wrote:
GT_Indy wrote:

lol spaghetti strainer.
Thats how my first 88 Beretta was because we put a few drain holes in the floorpan to let the water out years a ago.
Someone drilled holes in mine too, lol
I welded them up when I had the interior out and sealed up (so far) the leaks.

sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

so to answer your guys questions. yes it does leak water to the carpet, but seems to only be after a really good downpour. definitely something i'm going to keep an eye on and try to track down.

last few weeks have been about getting her tuned up and re-sealed (somewhat).

put in new spark plugs and wires, and found out who ever did them last time had 3 and 6 backwards, so I fixed that and gapped the plugs properly ( they were sitting at .045 when they should have been .060.

then I decided to pull the throttle body off and do a good clean on that and replace the IAC as I was getting a lot of hesitation and almost stalling out sometimes. and oh ya, the throttle body need some good ol lovin.

and today was about getting the valve covers resealed and cleaned up. not a whole lot of sludge in there and didn't look too bad for a 95.

little by little she's getting a bit more of her young self back. still need to do some suspension work and figure out the rough idle, but suspect I may have to do a deep clean (seafoam probably) to her insides.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

wow that engine was pretty dirty. Cleaning it up will help a lot.

The water leak is most always the area under the plastic under the wipers, there is a mastic/sealer in there and it gets old, then water gets past it.
Its good to take it apart, clean the olds stuff out, and redo it with new silicone, I believe its type 2, heat/cold/water resistant and lasts a long time.

The backwards plugs on the coil are okay as long as the pairs are in the proper places. Each coil fires as a pair.

sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

good to know about the plugs. and ya, Everytime I take something apart i've been cleaning around it as well, the valve covers turned out great. not perfectly clean but definitely a hell of a lot better looking now lol.

and ya, thats what i've been reading is where the water leak comes from. seems like a pretty simple fix to me.

sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

been slacking a bit on updates, works been a bit crazy but i've gotten a bit more done to the beretta. there's lots of pictures...sorry not sorry lol.

replaced a few trim pieces and the passenger door panel and the entire backseat.

cleaned up the roof a bit and put on a few coats of primer to keep it somewhat good for the winter (getting the whole car repainted in the spring)

then It got cold out and I couldn't switch to defrost...turns out it helps when the vacuum lines are connected and don't have a hole in them lol.

did a little bit of cleaning.

Windshield replaced finally. no more giant hole in it :), this definitely needed to be done before winter.

and today thanks to banzai, we put in some new seats, which are a lot comfier then the stock ones it had.

and here's a little tour around the garage.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QGXjq ... Qf3avAyO_w

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Oooo, yummy Z seats! Nice. My '89 GTU has the "Deluxe" interior -but Z seats didn't come out until the next year, so they are like the '95 Base (except full tilt options on both fronts and a split rear, which some base-style interiors didn't have). They are fine unless I've been sitting in an Indy or Z-26, then the GTU seat just feels uncomfortable, flat, and hard. Looks like you've got a little bit of crush going on in the driver's side seatbase foam, I pulled my Yellow Indy's seat fabric off after I bought the car and repaired that area -they always get crushed because of getting in and out of the car. That is a pretty decent looking interior though...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Rettax3 wrote:Oooo, yummy Z seats! Nice. My '89 GTU has the "Deluxe" interior -but Z seats didn't come out until the next year, so they are like the '95 Base (except full tilt options on both fronts and a split rear, which some base-style interiors didn't have). They are fine unless I've been sitting in an Indy or Z-26, then the GTU seat just feels uncomfortable, flat, and hard. Looks like you've got a little bit of crush going on in the driver's side seatbase foam, I pulled my Yellow Indy's seat fabric off after I bought the car and repaired that area -they always get crushed because of getting in and out of the car. That is a pretty decent looking interior though...
I'm so careful getting in and out of my 90 Indy because I don't want to smash my seats, it takes a few minutes to enter and exit the car. lol

sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

Rettax3 wrote:Oooo, yummy Z seats! Nice. My '89 GTU has the "Deluxe" interior -but Z seats didn't come out until the next year, so they are like the '95 Base (except full tilt options on both fronts and a split rear, which some base-style interiors didn't have). They are fine unless I've been sitting in an Indy or Z-26, then the GTU seat just feels uncomfortable, flat, and hard. Looks like you've got a little bit of crush going on in the driver's side seatbase foam, I pulled my Yellow Indy's seat fabric off after I bought the car and repaired that area -they always get crushed because of getting in and out of the car. That is a pretty decent looking interior though...
thanks, ya I replaced the solid backseat with a split back.

and the driver seat needs some stitching repair and to build up the foam again, but otherwise both are in really good condition and loving the upgrade from the stock seats that were in there.

I think the only thing left for the interior for now is to get a dash with a tac on it and to replace the carpet.

both minor things for now.

banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

Youre welcome for the seats!! still owe me monies! HAHA

1995 Z26 - 3500 5spd TURBO
sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

you'll get your monies lol.

you know where I sleep haha