Beretta 2017 Autocross Spec D-prepared

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
MY91GT(Z)

Re: Chevy Beretta FF

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Good luck on the koni inserts I been looking for past cpl month but no luck but once I drum up enough money I may try the Mitsubishi inserts since im using intrax which are lower then eibachs n may work out for me

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

I still say a velocity stack would help. The only problem I see with that is supporting the weight of the filter. The BPi stack is ABS and very light, but the K&N that goes with it seems to have a ton of weight.
Oops....one other problem. To get the most out of it you need to run 3in pipe from the stack to the TB. Then use a reducer for TB. I know of a few places to get pipe and reducers.
I have a BPi stack with a K&N. I was going to use it on the Beretta, but there is no room in the fender(CAI). Then I was going to use it on the Cavy, but the reducer would have to be on the stack. I may be able to pull off putting on the Cavy. That will be a major pain even with all the room in the fender.
So.....if you were able to find a way to support the weight I'd sell it for half price(45 bucks). Well that would be less than half, but close.
Velocity stacks!!!! I'm not worried about engine mods yet; I have future plans with the motor with the stroker kit and bumping comp to 10:1 OR Hans racecraft turbo kit. I'm focused on getting my driveline all sorted out and the motor mods will most likely bear fruit next year because everything costs so damn much these days lol. It really all depends if/when I can get the stuff together to burn me some EPROM chips for my ECU to tune. Tuning is everything.
Good luck on the koni inserts I been looking for past cpl month but no luck but once I drum up enough money I may try the Mitsubishi inserts since im using intrax which are lower then eibachs n may work out for me
I hear you, the longer I wait, the slimmer my chances are on landing those Koni's. I know 3X00 modified did some groundwork research that those Mitsubishi inserts are a potential fill in candidate but it hasn't been proven...yet. I'm always down for experimenting with stuff so that option is always open for me too.

I finally started work on the Death Star 2, err I mean my Beretta. It started out a nice enough day being hot and humid and then a torrential downpour rained hell on me midway. I don't own a poncho so I took a garbage bag and wore it as a rainsuit and trucked on. Mother nature can suck it for all I care.

The prep work is done and I've loosened all the bolts from the tranny. All that's left is to pull that sucker out, pop in the new stuff, put everything back together, and then go on my merry way.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Amateur wrote: I hear you, the longer I wait, the slimmer my chances are on landing those Koni's. I know 3X00 modified did some groundwork research that those Mitsubishi inserts are a potential fill in candidate but it hasn't been proven...yet. I'm always down for experimenting with stuff so that option is always open for me too.
Honestly if you want proof, Ask around on the J-body forums... I'm guessing SOMEONE had to try them since they are the ones who posted them as an alternative... I didn't just pull that one out of my arse :)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Ok, I let it go for once. No more v stack talk.

keep'em flying!
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Honestly if you want proof, Ask around on the J-body forums... I'm guessing SOMEONE had to try them since they are the ones who posted them as an alternative... I didn't just pull that one out of my arse :)
I'd totally raise an eyebrow if you said to use the inserts from a 2000 Durango instead lol
Ok, I let it go for once. No more v stack talk.
V stack talk alongside any talk is all good!

I have made progress today.

Old pressure plate/clutch plate vs. new:

Old flywheel:

The culprit to all my woes, the bad slave cylinder leaking fluid EVERYWHERE:

New lightweight flywheel:

Tomorrow I will put the tranny back and hopefully have everything reassembled.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

The deed has been done.

The Quaife Helical limited slip differential, new clutch kit, and Fidanza lightweight flywheel are all in there!

Driving Impressions

GOOD LORD, this car is AWESOME!!! The car is unreal, and handles light years better than before. The lightweight flywheel definitely makes a noticeable difference. It revs quicker and drops them equally as quick. It makes the overall car feel lighter than what it really is. The only downside is that it's trickier getting the car going from a complete stop when your on a steep hill and it takes a little more effort maintaining speed as there is less rotational inertia generated by the lighter flywheel vs. the heavier stock one.

The handling on this baby is spot on. The helical limited slip differential makes so much a difference to driving enjoyment, that I wonder how I ever lived without it. It's worth every penny I spent on it. Normally, the stock open diff would push me out of a turn...it's a constant battle of throttle control to negotiate a turn but the LSD pulls me in tighter effortlessly while throttling on. Literally, I point the car where I want it to go and it darts perfectly in that direction. It's a weird feeling at first and actually quite surreal but it makes for an outstanding handling machine. I can't wait to see how it does in rain conditions where traction loss is a bigger factor. Obviously I haven't really put the car through its paces to see what it can really do at the limits since I'm in the break-in probation with the new clutch and flywheel. There is virtually no torque steer off the line which would make any hard launches quicker than what I'm used to as power is evenly distributed between the two wheels.

Well this experiment was a success and it's now confirmed that the Quaife LSD QDF2I is a direct plug and play with the 2.2L 5 speed Beretta.

Money pit Beretta

Man that sounds like it was a great upgrade!

Just something I have to ask: Is the 2.2 intake two piece? I'm sure it has to be, but I'd just like to know.

keep'em flying!
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Man that sounds like it was a great upgrade!

Just something I have to ask: Is the 2.2 intake two piece? I'm sure it has to be, but I'd just like to know.
The intake mandrel itself is all one piece + the detachable cone filter

Money pit Beretta

Damn, ment the intake manifold(sorry).

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

The intake manifold is two piece, the top part, which has the TB built in, and the rest lol.

It's got decently sized runners for what it is, but the top section really holds the whole thing back. I've heard of people making manifold spacers for themselves and getting decent gains, due to additional plenum volume.

I haven't tested mine yet, but I've opened up the manifold a little and it should give a subtle boost in overall performance. I ran a ported intake on my SOHC 1.6L Honda and it gave me a decent boost in throttle response (that's where plenum volume can into play) and high RPM pull (minus cam limitations).

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Need to do v6 bellhousing swap just to get quaife lsd but I doubt 2.2 tranny can handle v6 torque, I wonder how much of improvement it would be over an ep lsd??

Money pit Beretta

Cool, thanks Koots.

keep'em flying!
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Amateur wrote:The helical limited slip differential makes so much a difference to driving enjoyment, that I wonder how I ever lived without it. It's worth every penny I spent on it. Normally, the stock open diff would push me out of a turn...it's a constant battle of throttle control to negotiate a turn but the LSD pulls me in tighter effortlessly while throttling on. Literally, I point the car where I want it to go and it darts perfectly in that direction. It's a weird feeling at first and actually quite surreal but it makes for an outstanding handling machine.
Yes, it's quite awesome isn't it? Definitely a WTF factor getting used to it... Then it's all :sparta:
MY91GT(Z) wrote:Need to do v6 bellhousing swap just to get quaife lsd but I doubt 2.2 tranny can handle v6 torque, I wonder how much of improvement it would be over an ep lsd??
No swap needed... They're the same.

Cliff Scott
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Cool beans on that diff. Hope it holds up to a lot more power for your future goals.

Can there's be a FAQ submitted to state that the 2.2L BH is the SAME as the 60*V6?

_________
-------------
weba

Post by weba »

Definitely not the same, as they are completely different transmissions. Getrag and Isuzu cannot be mixed other than few bolts?

However 2.2 trans does mount directly to the V6 with no effort.

I had 93 2.2 5spd (Isuzu) transmission mated into stock 3.1 MPFI for several years. The first gear was unusable since it only spin the tire(s) and was good enough for one car length. Second wasn't much better.

I head you could find taller gearings from other models, Beretta 2.2 got something little quicker. Doesn't work that well low-rpm V6 engines. If you would build one that revs higher and trades off low RPM torque, it could just work with 2.2 trans+LSD.